Do you monitor the temp in your van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you monitor the temp in your van

I had a new customer ask me if it gets too hot in a van for her dog. I told her I have AC but she said, great but how hot does it get. Really she wants to know the actual temp.

I have a digital thermometer in my trailer. My A/C went out in my BRAND NEW TAG-ALONG trailer so I bought a portable room air conditioner. It was miserable! I got the thermometer to see how hot it was getting. If it was 92 outside, it would cool down to 90 inside. With the roof top unit working again ($400 & 5 weeks later) it stays in the low to mid 70's even with wet dogs and one of the dryers blowing hot air.

Comment

Not mobile but small salon (98 Sq ft) I have a magnetic temperature gage I have in on the wall beside my table....gives current temp and humidity. Got it at Lowes . It will so give you a high and low temp and humidity for the day, this part I check each morning...current I check every time I glance up.
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

This is very difficult to explain to people concerned about the temp inside a groom van. I used a temp gun like the AC repair guys use and it can be 45-50 degrees coming out of the unit, but at the floor, 80 ish. It's not like your house where it's a consistent temp. Just like your car, it's nice and cool blowing on your face, but can be 100 degrees in the back seat until the car cools down.

Mobile groomers do not drive with the salon AC on, so it will warm up, then cool, then warm up once you turn on the dryer. It's very tough to give someone an answer other than it has a RV style AC that's running the whole groom duration and it's cool enough to work.

Out here in the desert where it can be 115 outside, the van will not cool below 85 if you are lucky. Yes, you sweat, the dog is probably uncomfortable, but not in any danger of heat exhaustion.

Comment

All WGT units have a temp gauge/thermometer that controls the furnace, so you can tell how hot/cool the van's interior is at all times. When I have my AC on, I'm usually keep it at 70 degrees.

Happy keeping cool

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
            This is very difficult to explain to people concerned about the temp inside a groom van. I used a temp gun like the AC repair guys use and it can be 45-50 degrees coming out of the unit, but at the floor, 80 ish. It's not like your house where it's a consistent temp. Just like your car, it's nice and cool blowing on your face, but can be 100 degrees in the back seat until the car cools down.

Mobile groomers do not drive with the salon AC on, so it will warm up, then cool, then warm up once you turn on the dryer. It's very tough to give someone an answer other than it has a RV style AC that's running the whole groom duration and it's cool enough to work.

Out here in the desert where it can be 115 outside, the van will not cool below 85 if you are lucky. Yes, you sweat, the dog is probably uncomfortable, but not in any danger of heat exhaustion.
            Yikes Tom........I drive with my AC on......am I doing something wrong ?? I rarely use it, but recently, it's been so hot in OH that I turn it on and leave it running all day, even when I'm driving. Am I damaging the unit ??

Happy willing to turn it off, if necessary

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
              Yikes Tom........I drive with my AC on......am I doing something wrong ?? I rarely use it, but recently, it's been so hot in OH that I turn it on and leave it running all day, even when I'm driving. Am I damaging the unit ??

Happy willing to turn it off, if necessary

You have a WGT with the built in Onan so you can legally drive with the generator running. I do not have that luxury anymore. External gens will shut down while driving cause they can be starved of gas when making a turn. Leaving the Onan running is best between short drives on hot days and will not damage the unit.

Comment

I have a digital thermometer too. I do not have roof A/C. I rely on my dash air to cool me. When I drive between stops the van is usually down to 76 when I stop. I try not to run it while I bathe and dry, because I feel like it's just working against the dryer. It gets up to about 85 (this is on 95-100 degree days) by the time I'm done drying, and then I turn the A/C back on and it gets back to 76-78. But Tom is right. Up high near the roof or close to the walls of the van it is warmer, but the cool air blowing directly on me and the dog keeps us both cool. I have to give props to Nissan for their kick butt A/C. I've never ever felt cooler air in a vehicle

BDL Hubby has a portable A/C and the key to it is a super short vent out. That vent produces so much heat itself, it completely negates the cooling. He cut a hole in the van and once the vent hose was only three inches straight out the wall, the A/C worked much better.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                  I have a digital thermometer too. I do not have roof A/C. I rely on my dash air to cool me. When I drive between stops the van is usually down to 76 when I stop. I try not to run it while I bathe and dry, because I feel like it's just working against the dryer. It gets up to about 85 (this is on 95-100 degree days) by the time I'm done drying, and then I turn the A/C back on and it gets back to 76-78. But Tom is right. Up high near the roof or close to the walls of the van it is warmer, but the cool air blowing directly on me and the dog keeps us both cool. I have to give props to Nissan for their kick butt A/C. I've never ever felt cooler air in a vehicle

BDL Hubby has a portable A/C and the key to it is a super short vent out. That vent produces so much heat itself, it completely negates the cooling. He cut a hole in the van and once the vent hose was only three inches straight out the wall, the A/C worked much better.
                  Yep, I have a portable a/c unit and a super short vent out is the ONLY way to go otherwise it fights it's self. Mine is also about 3" strain out of the wall wrapped with insulation and works much much better, but still not as well as a roof mount or a window unit. ...however neither of those are an option for me.
                  Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                    Maybe that was the problem! I had vented it to the outside through a window then seal around everything with heavy plastic and duct tape. Kinda trashy looking but I was desperate. The hose was at least 18", probably more. I appreciate the helpful comments Cockerlvr and Cyn. Who knows, I may need to use the portable unit again someday.

Comment

In our salon (not mobile) we were having ongoing issues with our ac unit, and at 85 we have to shut down. We actually got a couple of digital thermometer/humidity sensors intended for reptiles, and they work really well. They're small, relatively inexpensive and run for quite a while on a small battery. The one we keep in the drying area has two long wires that we just keep binder clipped to a spare kennel we use for boots and supplies, and the other one in the front of the salon is just a 1x4" rectangle that sticks to the wall with a command strip (The one I would suggest for a mobile unit)

Comment

You really do not need a thermometer in your van. If the rooftop AC is not working properly, you will know immediately, just like your own personal car. It's a no brainer. If it's working properly, it will fluctuate depending on the outside temp. Very hot days, it will not cool as much but should still be comfortable enough to work and not endanger yourself or the animal. On overcast days, even if it's hot, the AC will pump out better. I found direct sun on the van with no shade is much different than having shade like parking under a tree and or cloud cover.

The RV style AC's on the roof can handle up to about 113 degrees before they really start to not put out cool air. The problem is once you turn on the dryer and it starts to pump 100 degree dryer air in the van, it does not allow the van to stay cool. The 2 are working against each other.

Comment

Working...
                        X