My take on the yuppy puppy brush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on the yuppy puppy brush

I guess I may be the only one on this board not enamored with this brush. I've tried it on several dogs and I just don't see any difference at all. My skin flecky schnauzers, are still flecky, my cocker ears still greasy, feet still have debris in them after three scrubbings. Still need to wash all dogs twice or more.

It uses more water to rinse/clean it out than it's worth in a mobile IMO. I have not used it on a double coated dog yet so I can't say whether or not it works, but I see absolutely no difference than just hand scrubbing and/or using a recirc.

It's going to get relegated to cleaning. Really disappointed. After reading all the wonderful reviews I really had my hopes up.

I wish I knew what would help. It's been invaluable to me in descaling scalies. I use Eqyss Microtek and sometimes mud with it. I swear the Microtek is half the magic for me. I CAN get good results by just hand scrubbing, but the brush makes it more convenient and a little faster. It does require more rinsing (relative to recirc alone) since I'm using concentrate. I usually wash most dogs twice, anyway. Sometimes I scrub first with the brush to loosen/remove flake, funk, or oil on those super greasy dogs, and then follow up with a blast wash with the recirc to flush it all out before the final rinse, and sometimes recirc first and then an added bit of scrubbing with the brush for extra oomph clean. Swear I'm not a paid shill. I have very specific purposes for it that make it useful to me. I'm sorry you were disappointed. I know what it's like to jump on a bandwagon and then end up wondering what all the fuss is about. It's happened to me plenty especially with some well known grooming gods, and a few times with products and equipment. I may be the only person ever to not love Les Pooch brushes or Coat Kings. I bought sets of these many years ago at a trade show because they were OMG must haves at the time, and they are all somewhere in a drawer because meh.

Comment

I think we all have a drawer of product and tools that we're told are the hottest thing to make our lives easier and improve our skills/ speed/ productivity/ results.
      I'm not convinced a Les Pooch ( or whatever the name is now) is any better than the Master Grooming brushes I use on. Daily basis. Besides, for the prices they ask I'd have a mild stroke over every bent pin.

Comment

I only use it on few dogs. I have a StPoo that has very thick coat and her paws are always muddy because she goes for hikes a lot. On her I can tell the YuppyPuppy brush cuts down on time in the bath tub. Also like it on few large Goldens, Labs and Doodles, but I can't use it on small dogs. So, yeah, I use it but not on every dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Totally off subject but have you tried diluting a basic and I mean very basic conditioner (like espree remo or simple shed )and applying with maybe a spray bottle or have dog wrapped in towel with conditioner on it while prepping nails and ears. It helps to combat the oily ness and scaly skin. You just rinse prior to washing of course. It was suggested to me during module 1 of pet estitchian course for eye boogers and greasy ears. Works for me. Was told to use straight but I super dilute hence the spray bottle idea. I super dilute everything.

Comment

Now on subject, I originally had 2 yuppy puppy brushes . They helped remove a ton of coat from caring we sties and the like but that was about it for me.

Comment

The yuppy puppy brush looks like your average horse dandy brush. Any horse people know if there is a difference or not? Is there something special about this brush specifically?

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                I guess I may be the only one on this board not enamored with this brush. I've tried it on several dogs and I just don't see any difference at all. My skin flecky schnauzers, are still flecky, my cocker ears still greasy, feet still have debris in them after three scrubbings. Still need to wash all dogs twice or more.

It uses more water to rinse/clean it out than it's worth in a mobile IMO. I have not used it on a double coated dog yet so I can't say whether or not it works, but I see absolutely no difference than just hand scrubbing and/or using a recirc.

It's going to get relegated to cleaning. Really disappointed. After reading all the wonderful reviews I really had my hopes up.
                To me the magic is not in the brush, but... when combined with good products for dry, flaky skin and for getting white coats, bright white - it can make a big difference. It's just a tool though. I had a dog last week that had massive flaky skin looked like he had mange. I used a tea tree and aloe first time around with the YP brush, then did a mud bath - again using the brush. The skin was clear after. Told client to get dog to vet - turns out dog had bacteria infection and yeast infection. There is no way I could of got this dogs skin clean without the brush.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't imagine the pain of bristles going over sensitive skin felt like on this dog. A gentle wash, followed by HV drying would have worked, especially since the dog was seeing the vet. Yes, you got all of the dry skin off, but to what cost to dog's sensitive skin ? When you have an open wound (which the dog has many) do you take a brush to it ?

Happy being gentle

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by MysticRealm View Post
                    The yuppy puppy brush looks like your average horse dandy brush. Any horse people know if there is a difference or not? Is there something special about this brush specifically?
                    It is nothing like a horse brush (have had horses for 45 yrs). I find the brush extremely helpful with the scaly dogs and greasy yorkies and cocker ears and for helping get shampoo down deep in matted dogs (like schnauzer legs).
                    Sorry you didn't like the Yuppy Puppy bath brush Cockerlvr, but I think like TC, we all have bought things others rave about and wonder what the heck they thought was so wonderful about the tool or product. (yes, LP brushes and Coat King brushes come to my mind as well TC)
                    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                      I can't imagine the pain of bristles going over sensitive skin felt like on this dog. A gentle wash, followed by HV drying would have worked, especially since the dog was seeing the vet. Yes, you got all of the dry skin off, but to what cost to dog's sensitive skin ? When you have an open wound (which the dog has many) do you take a brush to it ?

Happy being gentle

That is one thing I love about the Yuppy Puppy bath brush, it dosent scratch (yes, I have used on myself cleaning out wounds). It more than likely felt good to to petagreespa dog.
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post

Happy being gentle

This was a gentle treatment Dolly, this dead skin had to be removed, so the skin could be treated, HV isnt going to help heal anything, just going to blow skin all over the place. There was no pain involved for this dog, in fact this treatment brought relief for the dog.
                        Sometimes you have to break down so you can build up.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the Yuppy brushes on most of my dogs & love it as well. Combination of products maybe produce better or different results? But like a lot of things, what works good for one person may not work well for another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just didn't see a big enough difference to justify the cost or extra time it takes to use it and the water to clean it. Being mobile, water usage is a huge factor.

If it had produced spectacular results, that's one thing, but it took me longer and more water for very very little difference.

Comment

I'm confused about something. You mention the water required to clean the brush. Is that right? When I use it, I use my metal grooming comb to comb out the shed fur. Takes about 15 seconds, then I rinse the brush quickly, so little use of water. I use it on wet pets, so it's not dirty, just has fur stuck in it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying?

Comment

Working...
                              X