Need advice on what to do! (Longish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on what to do! (Longish)

Hi everyone , I'm brand new on and I'm after some advice on what to do. I've been grooming for 9 years in various types of salon in the UK from private owned to corporate to running a salon in a bets ( very unusual in UK!)
    I groom 2 Irish setters that I can no longer do due to their behaviour and their weight... Weighing in at around 60 kilos a piece! No I'm not exaggerating ... All pets must be weighed on arrival in the vets.
    These dogs cant stand the driers be it the HV or the stand or the cabinet even with cotton wool and a happie hoodie they cant stand being g bathed or trimmed. They throw themselves all over the place and have injured me on several occasions inc 4 x in one session! They have almost pulled my table over on top of me when trying to brush one of them . because I'm on my own In the salon I've told my seniors that its far too dangerous for the dogsa d my self. They have pulled me down the stairs! However I was told not to say anything to the client about refusing to groom them. I can't put the price up any more as I had pretty much trippled it from previous groomer who charged ridiculously low prices and these dogs are a tay. Client. I'm really worried that even though I've said Im not doing g them that they will vet booked in regardless. I'm employed by the vets and reception deals with the bookingS for me .I've made extensive notes on the client record also. They don't like me turning clients away and even put it in money terms of if they pull me Down the stairs And I break a bone I'll be off for 6 weeks at least and for a tay dog its of worth it to lose out on 6 weeks worth of clientele.
    Any advice will greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    marshmellow

Just say no. Make it clear if the dogs are booked they will sit there and not be touched. Let them fire you. It's ridiculous that they won't let you turn away dogs that are a danger to you.

Comment

What dos your signed contract say about who has final say on dogs.? If it's up to them you need to find away around it.
      Maybe just call the clients and let them know that for the safety of the pets they need to go someplace that has multiple hands available , etc. clients do t care about our safety but they will take their pets into consideration

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
        Just say no. Make it clear if the dogs are booked they will sit there and not be touched. Let them fire you. It's ridiculous that they won't let you turn away dogs that are a danger to you.
        THIS
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys I think I ultimately have last say but I'm not entirely sure . I have turned one dog away and they wasn't happy as these were long standing vet clients but it was a really old GSD and its back legs had pretty much gone and was incontinent both with seeing and poking poor thing. I refused to do it as it couldn't get up the stairs ...work had moan at me saying I lost them a client only for the client to ring 2 days later saying the dog had passed away... Would dread to think of the fall out had I groomed the dog!

Comment

Yes, as others have said. We can't groom every dog that walks thru our doors (especially by ourselves). Your safety and the safety of the pets must always come first. Just say "no".
            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Wait.... you are working for a vet? Normally I don't suggest it but why no sedation. If they have hurt you already I sure hope you have someone else to pay your bills when they breakbyou

Comment

Originally posted by The Dusty Muzzle View Post
                Wait.... you are working for a vet? Normally I don't suggest it but why no sedation. If they have hurt you already I sure hope you have someone else to pay your bills when they breakbyou
                I was wondering the same thing. The only time I've turned a dog away is if I think it would benefit from sedation (VERY RARE, like two dogs in my 9 year career). If you're already in a vet environment, why isn't sedation an option?

Comment

Honestly? Sedation has never crossed my mind! I've never had to send any client for sedation so I'm not exactly sure what the procedure is or any thing . thanks again for the help . I think what I'm going to do is have a chat with my seniors and exain again why I cannot and will not do those dogs.it just really doesn't help when the old groomer would never turn any dog/client away and I think its come as a surprise that I will turn clients away if I feel I need to. I refuse to stress a pet or myself out just so it can have a pretty hair cut!

Comment

I mean it's taken me a while to get it into my seniors mindset that I will not dematt a pet if it is going to take me more than half a hour depeni g on size and coat condition but because the old groomer would spend 6yes6 hours demattimg (its in some of the clients notes) I refused and used my trusty 7f clipped it all off and subsequently was co.plaimed anout. I was then asked why I shaved and not dematted and showed them the lovely pelt and this is why I didn't dematt. I feel ad though my judgement is often called into question when I do thing different to the previous groomer who handnt been qualified all that long and went into this salon from the grooming course she took.

Comment

The problem I see with sedation is the stairs you mentioned, if you have no one to help you carry. The vets should have recommended this before and if sedation is done on a large breed they need to help carry up the stairs or do the sedation in your grooming area.
                      Good luck with whatever you do!

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                        This is where I am. If I had to risk being out several weeks or permanent damage due to an injury, I can figure I'd use that time to find another job if they fired me. Either way, I would not take that kind of risk in my own shop or working for anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                          The problem I see with sedation is the stairs you mentioned, if you have no one to help you carry. The vets should have recommended this before and if sedation is done on a large breed they need to help carry up the stairs or do the sedation in your grooming area.
                          Good luck with whatever you do!
                          It doesn't have to be completely sedated. Valium. Acepromazine (which I despise). But if full sedation is done groom them in an exam room. Vet tech needs to be in the room anyway.
                          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks every one for your advice and input x its helped me a lot to stick to my guns and not pushed in to doing these dogs that are a danger to both themselves and me! It really is apriciated I'll keep you guys updated on if they get booked in or not ... I expect some temper tantrums from the client but I need to think about the dogs safety as well asy own! So thank you so much again !

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                              It doesn't have to be completely sedated. Valium. Acepromazine (which I despise). But if full sedation is done groom them in an exam room. Vet tech needs to be in the room anyway.
                              Never in all my vet clinic yrs did I groom a fully sedated animal in an exam room, nor was there ever a vet or vet tech present while I groomed (sheared down mostly on full sedates). Wouldn't then nor now groom a dog on valuim or ace. This of course has been my experience in a small county town, probably not the same in the city.

Comment

Working...
                              X