Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could start your store fresh, how would you do it? Who would you hire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could start your store fresh, how would you do it? Who would you hire?

More bathers, more groomers, different hours, different equipment. I'm curious as we are talking about it this weekend at a groomer meetup. Most of us groomers agreed to hire more support staff such as receptionist who would be in charge of online presence, booking, payments, calls, etc. Second came more bathers. Last I think most of us were on the same page of almost having a ratio of two bathers per groomer and how nice that would be. But almost everyone wanted a receptionist, yet only 3 out of 11 shop owners who came had one. Two of us paid hourly, one paid hourly plus commission and everyone else paid between 40-60 percent commission as either contractor or employees. Half paid by W2 and half by IC.

We talked about hours too. MOST of us wanted M-F and only three groomers liked working one or both weekends depending on the season

Biggest complaint- Not enough family time, feeling overwhelmed, and money worries. Next was staff and poor work attendance, poor attitudes and complaints of clients being more needy now than ever. We all had stories.

Get in touch with other shop owners. We got people from about a 3 hour drive, find a local groomer group for your area online and join.

Why in the world would you need 2 bathers for 1 finish groomer? I think 1 bather for 2 groomers is sufficient. A receptionist is a luxury, not something us owners can afford. After overhead, there's not much left for owner profit. I'm not going to pay a employee who does not earn money for the shop like a bather and groomer would. Yes, they book and answer phones, but unless it's a busy shop, not worth it.

Comment

I could use two bathers Tom. I can finish three dogs an hour if they are completely ready. Receptionists in my shop did more than answer phone. Check in and it, laundry,cleaning call owners to let them know dogs were ready. The time saved from the groomers doing it could definitely generate more money.

Comment

I would like a bathing/drying room to cut down on the mess in the front of my shop. I would have fully changed where things were In my shop but it was already set up as a grooming shop and would have cost too much money to change.
        A bather/receptionist would be nice too for sure.
        I should have tried to find a MUCH smaller space to lease. This is way to big for me and forces me to have another person to make enough money for the large rent payments. A 400-700 sizes space I could run on my own or with a bather m-f would have been great. I am one of the few groomers that are open Saturday's in my immediate area.

Comment

Not store applicable, but applicable to our mobil business

I would never have started with a gasoline powered Van - but gone right to diesel earlier.

UD

Comment

Originally posted by MysticRealm View Post
            I would like a bathing/drying room to cut down on the mess in the front of my shop. I would have fully changed where things were In my shop but it was already set up as a grooming shop and would have cost too much money to change.
            A bather/receptionist would be nice too for sure.
            I should have tried to find a MUCH smaller space to lease. This is way to big for me and forces me to have another person to make enough money for the large rent payments. A 400-700 sizes space I could run on my own or with a bather m-f would have been great. I am one of the few groomers that are open Saturday's in my immediate area.
            I agree. My store is huge and is a double storefront which means double rent which means have to groom double. We could have used a smaller space. We will be introducing small dog daycare to utilize extra space and will be going to 6 day work weeks.

I also want a drying room to cut down on cleaning.

Comment

I would love to have smaller space. What we have right now is 1,400 sq.ft and I would be happy with half that, but there is just nothing smaller than 1,100 available.

Comment

Not technically in my space yet but....
                Definitely bathing/drying room
                Quiet room for excessive bakers
                Assistant (calls client relations laundry an extra hand retail daycare boarding help )
                My plan long term is to have salon fully staffed
                Reception 2-3 pt bathers 2 full groomers 1 of which is me
                I love the sort of freedom of being home based but I honestly know I am capable of so much more in a retail setting. I guess that's a whole other thread though

Comment

1. I would design things different in the floor plan with the quiet room for screamer dogs, and sound room for machinery to dampen clipper vac etc, as it says in the grooming business box, and the nook for the inspection table at the front counter.
                  2. I would also add the shampoo distribution closet in their plan too.
                  3. I would sound proof the shared wall.
                  4. I would also do their walled in bathing room and counters for drying.

Thanks Admin for all that and I will do that if we move.

Otherwise, I would try the wall mounted dryers and probably do them too. We already converted to a full bathing dept doing all the bath dogs and no stylists do any bathing and that made a huge profit difference and no one complains. My stylists love being out of bathing and only style.

I would find a place with a better outdoor potty area and a lunch table outside for warm times of the year for employees.

Comment

Working...
                  X