Change of heart. Add yours.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of heart. Add yours.

99.999% of my dogs go straight into the tub. I would say 100%, but I'm leaving an out in case I'm forgetting someone. All of my dogs are well maintained regulars, so I don't see really funky dogs anymore. I have exactly one little sheddy hairy beast left. Sort of a Spitz on a Dachshund body on a six week schedule. The coat, OMG, the coat. Six weeks is as often as I can get her in, and soooooo much coat.

I have long been "let the tools and products do the job." I don't see that changing. For whatever reason, probably because I read it here, I decided to brush shed-beastie out before the bath. Radical. She is never really that dirty, and the coat came loose pretty easily. I spent a good 15 minutes getting out many handfuls of hair before the bath. Woo hoo and such.

Holy. Moly. The bath indeed went much faster without having to constantly dig clods of hair out of my recirc, and she dried so much more easily. I usually let the recirc, products, and dryer do most of the work. Some of the time was offset by the 15 minutes or pre bath brushing, but the work itself was much easier. The biggest sell for me? Clean up. There was very little hair blowing out when I dried her, not like the usual snowstorm. A final brush out was effortless.

So change of heart for me on pre brushing out sheddy beasts. I don't do big dogs anymore, but it was very worth it on this littlish gal. The 15 minutes of brushing saved me a lot of time in the tub and on the drying table, not to mention negligible cleaning compared to usually having my whole drying area draped in Winnie hair.

What have you ever had a change of heart on?

For me, for that dog, I probably would have taken the force dryer to it before the bath. Ya you don't save on clean up time, but you would probably spend 5 mins or less force drying and get out a large amount of hair.
    This was a long time back now, but I used to think that there was no point to hand drying a 7 shave since it was being shaved so short anyways, but now I hand dry everything because even on a 7 shave most coats do look at least a small bit better.

Comment

Thank you Totally. This is EXACTLY why I do it this way. Not everyone, but the majority of the Big Hairies. The 10-15 minutes I spend pre-brushing saves me 30 minutes in clean up and frustration.

Sometimes Old School isn't so bad after all. Grin!

Comment

Originally posted by MysticRealm View Post
        For me, for that dog, I probably would have taken the force dryer to it before the bath. Ya you don't save on clean up time, but you would probably spend 5 mins or less force drying and get out a large amount of hair.
        This was a long time back now, but I used to think that there was no point to hand drying a 7 shave since it was being shaved so short anyways, but now I hand dry everything because even on a 7 shave most coats do look at least a small bit better.
        Really, though, the after bath blow out was still so fast and easy, and honestly, the biggest sell for me is not having so much hair flying around. The difference was unreal. If it were a much larger dog, I might go about it differently, but I just hit my sweet spot with this dog.

Dogma, it was probably you. Thanks!

Comment

I do wet brush. So pup is in tub with shampoo on get a once over with zoomgroom then a rinse and then condition and more zoom. That takes out most of the hair and them HV in tub takes out more. By time pup is dry and doing last combing not much left. This is way easier on dog skin and clean up since no vacuuming needs to be done. Keeps way done on dander too. But everyone is different but I find this is way less work than dry brush before bath.

Comment

Yep, me too. Less clean-up and fewer visits from my favorite plumber.
            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Sooooooo, why not do what Jodi Murphy does in her DVD on deshedding.......use a slicker brush while you are bathing. I get tons of hair out this way, plus since the hair is wet, it doesn't float in the air, but drops in the tub. A quick tap, tap of the brush on the rubber mat, and the hair in the brush falls out, leaving me to continue brushings as the soapy water baths the dog. You might try it once and see if this could also be an alternative to you little hairy monster.

Happy deshedding

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Yes, Dolly. I do that as well as getting some out pre-bath.
                Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Cool thread.
                  I have stopped using a HV dryer for my house call cat grooming sessions. I was trained to use an HV dryer, so I did use it for a couple of years. Doing house calls in NYC apartments, I struggled with the amount of fur flying through the air. I met a dog/cat groomer who uses a high-quality human hair dryer. She does great work and has a successful business. That's when I realized that I didn't need to make myself use an HV.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                    Sooooooo, why not do what Jodi Murphy does in her DVD on deshedding.......use a slicker brush while you are bathing. I get tons of hair out this way, plus since the hair is wet, it doesn't float in the air, but drops in the tub. A quick tap, tap of the brush on the rubber mat, and the hair in the brush falls out, leaving me to continue brushings as the soapy water baths the dog. You might try it once and see if this could also be an alternative to you little hairy monster.

Happy deshedding

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

BTDT, but for this particular dog, I have discovered I much prefer the pre bath brush. I did not have to spend so much time just trying to get her wet to be able to brush in the tub. Bath time was cut literally in half. My change of heart is in that I can't say I never prep a dog before a bath because now I will.

Comment

Thanks for thread, there really is no always avoid prep before and go straight to bath, vs, always prep fully before bath. You really have to take it on a case by case. I fault on the safe side for the BATH. Even if it takes 5 or 10 minutes longer *not more though* the more prep before the bath I think you get a faster bath, a faster dry, and a cleaner bath at least faster.

I think more important a few times by doing more prebath work I found issues like scabs, objects embedded in skin, scary spots that would have affected how I bathe.

Comment

Wet clipping. I used to NEVER do it, I was afraid I would clipper burn/irritate the dog. Now I love it, espescially for big furry doodle/sheepdog/cockers. Bathe them, semi dry, clip, vaccum, dry a little more. Pop in a crate with a cage dryer for 5 mins while I get a drink and go pee. Finish dog. cuts down on drying time SO MUCH!

Comment

Like Nitewalk I've taken to wet shaving some of my severely impacted dogs. It's saved me time, saved strain on the dogs, and it's even easier on my equipment. I'm also convinced that it's less painful to the dogs.
                          Do I let the clients know this 'NO!' I still tell them how painful thevshsving if matter fur is to the dog snd how dangerous the process is. It convinces some to set up more regular grooming appointments and for others it falls on deaf ears.

Comment

Instead of straight to the tub I love to trim nails, clean ears, sanitary and pads. This makes the job seem so much easier!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Comment

I use rinse out conditioner now. Never used to as I felt it took too long to dry the dogs after. Excellent quality conditioner is making my life way easier now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X