Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I work in a vet clinic. What do you think a groomer in my position should know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I work in a vet clinic. What do you think a groomer in my position should know?

I am surprised I haven't asked this a long time ago. When you hear that a groomer works for a vet, do you expect them to know anything special?

I would think it would be any skin issues including allergy sign to food or flea. If dog is anemic or if you see worms. Maybe oral health and ear health.

Comment

Unless you are also a vet tech, I wouldn't expect you to know anything more than a well-trained, experienced groomer would know. We should all be aware of allergy problems, fleas, ear and dental issues. You have the advantage of having a vet on the premises who can diagnose those issues you may point out.
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
        Unless you are also a vet tech, I wouldn't expect you to know anything more than a well-trained, experienced groomer would know. We should all be aware of allergy problems, fleas, ear and dental issues. You have the advantage of having a vet on the premises who can diagnose those issues you may point out.
        This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the post.......well stated Karla

Happy reading my mind

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Very well said!!!
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Skin, fleas and ticks, ears, allergy problems. It's not really our job to know food, or anything internal for that matter. I work in a clinic, have awesome repoire with vets. They come to me with questions about brushes, shampoo, etc and I go to them with health concerns that I see or feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everyone, especially Karla and Hucksmom. That really sums up how I am at work. Just wanted to see if anyone else had differing viewpoints.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyonai View Post
                Thanks everyone, especially Karla and Hucksmom. That really sums up how I am at work. Just wanted to see if anyone else had differing viewpoints.
                Any down time you have should (for your benifite)be spent soaking up knowledge at the vet though. I would never want to lose the things I learned by watching and listening and sometimes assisting .
                Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                  Any down time you have should (for your benifite)be spent soaking up knowledge at the vet though. I would never want to lose the things I learned by watching and listening and sometimes assisting .
                  Agreed!! I often assist the vets with X-rays, drawing blood, and general duties like holding dogs/cats for procedures. I've learned a lot the past 4 years. We have a large animal Center too, so have helped with cows, calves, horses, goats. You can never have too much knowledge [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As a groomer who went to grooming school we actualy did learn about nutrition. Alot of dogs skin issues is mostly from nutrition and poor diet. The healthier the dogs skin and coat the easier for a groomer to groom the dog. Alot of times i had dogs with hot spots and dry coats come in and as i guessed from what i learned in school the dog was eating iams or purina dry kibble. So i recomendef the owner to change the food and look for specific ingredients on the dog food label and maybe even add salmon oil for omega 3 if the new food was lacking it. A month later the dog came back looking better than ever and owner actualy told me all the vet recomended her to do was bring him in for steroid shots every month. She figured the food change might be a bit more affordable so she tried it. Dog never went to the vet for any shots after the food took care of the skin and coat issues. I think all groomers should have some knowledge about skin issues and stuff but most of skin and coat issues are from poor diet.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Precisely! I do have a friend that is a tech and groomer who works for a vet which is nice because she has the knowledge to recognize ailments that a regular groomer may not. She also helps preps dogs for surgery or dog s that are in severe neglect for grooming. You know, the ones that you find maggots living in the coat under the mats. Or ones that need sedation. Her boss even asked her the best clippers to use. She's a big Laube fan.
                      It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                      Henry David Thoreau

Comment

i think you are lucky in that... anything you don't know... the vet or tech is probably right there, right? I would love to have that source of knowledge at my fingertips

Comment

I would think you would know extra things like many have said about skin issues, handling perhaps. But I wouldn't think you should have to know those things to be a groomer.

Comment

Working...
                          X