What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

So yesterday someone brought in their wheaten "terror" as I like to call them... Ive groomed the dog before and it was HORRIBLE but I was able to get it done. Yesterday was a different story. When I went to pick him up he was fine, but then jumped off the table which was pretty low to the ground thankfully. So I went to go pick it up but it started growling at me and snapped at me. I had the leash on it for the table and I reached towards the dog but it growled at me and actually bit me. I couldn't even get to the phone to call the owner back because he was blocking my path and would come at me if I took anymore steps closer. I did manage to call the owner and he came back for the dog, not even surprised that this happened.

Would you try grooming the dog again?

The owners called this morning and said they got him meds to calm down and they're going to get him a muzzle. My boss doesnt like for me to deny customers, so I feel as though I don't have much of a choice.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Thank you in advance.

A dog that needs to be doped up in order to be groomed needs to go to a vet groomer where there is medical supervision available in case of a bad reaction. IF you do decide to give the dog another try with a muzzle/e-collar then go ahead and be very careful... but if your boss is so gung-ho on not turning away a client who has a history of biting and absurdly aggressive behavior, then they need to be there to assist you. I get the feeling they would agree with your decision not to groom fairly quickly when it was their well-being on the line. If you don't feel safe doing the groom then don't do the groom, and I'm pretty sure a worker's comp lawyer would have a field day if your boss made you groom this dog and you got injured by it again.
    By the way, we often refer to terriers as "terrorists" at my shop, with varying degrees of affection ^_^

Comment

Glad you didn't get bit even worse. The dog is behavioral to the point why invest the extra time, you have a business or work to do. I would politely tell the owner you cannot continue to groom him. Refer to a vet.

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
        Glad you didn't get bit even worse. The dog is behavioral to the point why invest the extra time, you have a business or work to do. I would politely tell the owner you cannot continue to groom him. Refer to a vet.
        They took him to the vet yesterday after it bit me, and they got drugs for it to calm down. Already told them yes for today, so we'll see how it goes... I think it'd be awkward calling them back saying "actually um no"

Comment

Originally posted by tabbykitten13 View Post
          A dog that needs to be doped up in order to be groomed needs to go to a vet groomer where there is medical supervision available in case of a bad reaction. IF you do decide to give the dog another try with a muzzle/e-collar then go ahead and be very careful... but if your boss is so gung-ho on not turning away a client who has a history of biting and absurdly aggressive behavior, then they need to be there to assist you. I get the feeling they would agree with your decision not to groom fairly quickly when it was their well-being on the line. If you don't feel safe doing the groom then don't do the groom, and I'm pretty sure a worker's comp lawyer would have a field day if your boss made you groom this dog and you got injured by it again.
          By the way, we often refer to terriers as "terrorists" at my shop, with varying degrees of affection ^_^
          Ha terrorists I like that one.

But yeah, unfortunately I already said yes to them coming in today... I feel like an idiot. The dog was matted like crazy too but they insisted I left him long. Should be a fun day

Comment

Take charge of your business. A dog that bites me does not get a choice of grooms. Shave him down. Explain to the owners that putting him through the time it takes to demat is only going to be more stressful for the dog, making future groomings even harder.

Also, and this is a BIG ONE! Most vets give acepromazine to dope up dogs. I find that this takes away their bite inhibition. There will often be no warning, just a bite. Keep the muzzle or ecollar on this dog at all times.

Charge for extra handling for sure as well.

I would not have taken the dog back, but you're stuck now, so make the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
              Take charge of your business. A dog that bites me does not get a choice of grooms. Shave him down. Explain to the owners that putting him through the time it takes to demat is only going to be more stressful for the dog, making future groomings even harder.

Also, and this is a BIG ONE! Most vets give acepromazine to dope up dogs. I find that this takes away their bite inhibition. There will often be no warning, just a bite. Keep the muzzle or ecollar on this dog at all times.

Charge for extra handling for sure as well.

I would not have taken the dog back, but you're stuck now, so make the most of it.
              How should I shave the face if he's biting?

Comment

What Cockerlvr said! No, need to stress yourself with a biting dog (ace will just allow them to bite a bit slower) . Imo, this dog should be groomed at the vet and sedated all the way out and shaved down.
                FYI: Wheatons are often aggressive dogs.
                Good Luck and I hope you survive with all digits attached.
                Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Yikes. sooo not worth getting bit , you will loose more not making money for a week maybe more.

Comment

Seriously, I don't have time for dealing with these types. Not worth getting injured and what I will make doing the groom. There are plenty of good dogs to groom.

I have a policy, if the muzzle comes out, it's the dog's last groom at my shop. I don't ever want to dread who's on the appointment schedule when I look at the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                      What Cockerlvr said! No, need to stress yourself with a biting dog (ace will just allow them to bite a bit slower) . Imo, this dog should be groomed at the vet and sedated all the way out and shaved down.
                      FYI: Wheatons are often aggressive dogs.
                      Good Luck and I hope you survive with all digits attached.
                      So should I do the dog this time, see how it goes, then tell them about getting groomed at the vet? Maybe say something like "it went okay this time, but next time maybe it won't... I don't feel comfortable grooming this dog... I suggest taking it to the vet for grooming just in case?" Sorry I'm super new to this whole thing and I already messed up by accepting it even after yesterday's incident... Pls help me lol

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                        Seriously, I don't have time for dealing with these types. Not worth getting injured and what I will make doing the groom. There are plenty of good dogs to groom.

I have a policy, if the muzzle comes out, it's the dog's last groom at my shop. I don't ever want to dread who's on the appointment schedule when I look at the book.
                        I almost always dread my appointments. I feel like since im the new groomer in town I'm getting all the rejects

Comment

Originally posted by dmdogcare View Post
                          So should I do the dog this time, see how it goes, then tell them about getting groomed at the vet? Maybe say something like "it went okay this time, but next time maybe it won't... I don't feel comfortable grooming this dog... I suggest taking it to the vet for grooming just in case?" Sorry I'm super new to this whole thing and I already messed up by accepting it even after yesterday's incident... Pls help me lol
                          Well, you already accepted the appt so I would think you should try to do THIS time. First snap and I would again call the groom done and advise owners you are not comfortable with this dog and suggest they do the vet groom knocked out cold.
                          You live and you learn, that is life.
                          I agree with others that one biting dog is not worth losing a weeks pay (if bit bad).

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                            Well, you already accepted the appt so I would think you should try to do THIS time. First snap and I would again call the groom done and advise owners you are not comfortable with this dog and suggest they do the vet groom knocked out cold.
                            You live and you learn, that is life.
                            I agree with others that one biting dog is not worth losing a weeks pay (if bit bad).
                            Hmm okay, good advice. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dmdogcare View Post
                              I almost always dread my appointments. I feel like since im the new groomer in town I'm getting all the rejects
                              Lol, you probably are! We have all been where you are (the new groomer in town)....as with any job, you have to put in the time to build a good client list of prebook in good dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X