Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dematting???

Do you demat before or after the bath?

Before....I know that's 'old school' thought now. I have timed it both ways....and it is faster for me to dematted before. I don't like all the mess of "apply this product, wait 10 minutes, rinse, apply this next product, rinse, blow out....clean up hair that flys all over bathing room....etc etc."

By the time I do all that, I would have had the dog brushed out.....and Yes! I have timed it. Dematted one side of dog old way, and other side new way and hands down it is faster for me the old way.

I don't like working and brushing out dogs in the tub. You bend over in a weird position, bad for your back. I don't like wet hair sticking all over the place...

When brushed out before, the hair just goes straight into the garbage can...it's not blowing all over the shop.
    And Yes, there will be loose hair blown about when I blow out after the bath...but it is not Tons...just a small amount.

I'll probably be the only one on here that still does it this way. I'm not opposed to learning new ways. I go to seminars, I try the products, I try the new techniques.....I've just been dematting dogs for 40 years and I'm quick at it.

Comment

Sounds like Dogma is talking more about deshedding. Dematting a shih or poodle does not have hair flying everywhere.

For me there is no question ever. After

One a clean conditioned dog brushes out FAR easier than a dirty dog.

Two It does not break the hair and leave it to mat again right away.

Three if I'm going to brush I might as well be brushing and drying at the same time. A HUGE time saver.

Four the dryer assists in the mat coming out by separating the hair.

Comment

It depends on the dog and the degree of matting. Just matted ears and tail, I usually brush out most of it before the bath. Poodle/Bichon coats I will put right in the tub and let the force dryer and a leave-in conditioner do most of the work for me-they all go on the table and are finished with the stand dryer where I can brush out the rest. Severe matting gets a pre-bath quick strip (I can usually do this in about 10-15min) Like dogma, I've been grooming for over 40 years. Back then, we didn't have force dryers or the good conditioners available today. Dogs needed to be brushed out before the bath as most of them were caged-dried til just damp. Those mats would've been pelts by then.
        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Thank you all for your input. Yes I am an old school groomer also.

Comment

I am out of school just two years now and learned to dematt before the bath. After I went on my own, I did that for a few months but was reading so much about dematting after the dog was clean, I started to try it. I myself have better results and can work through matting on a dog quicker and more easily w/ a clean coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cockerlv....your right...I did make that sound like de-shedding.

And I do de-shed that way.
              For breeds like Goldens, Border Collies...breeds with rear feathers, I still find it easier to brush out matted pants before the bath. I just find that having them on a grooming table is so much more convenient then bending over a bathtub, or brushing/dematting wet hair while drying them.

If they are slightly matted....3 minutes worth of brush-out time or so...I will toss them in the tub first.

Breeds like poodley-things, I'll brush out before the bath along with doing the nails and other pre-bath stuff.

Although I wouldn't say that we cage dry, I do let dogs drip for awhile before drying. We get a lot of dogs from other shops that don't like the technique of HV drying from straight from tub to grooming table.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the folks that like the "toss the dog in the tub" technique are washing, blast water off in the tub, take to drying table and HV till dry....not much or no break in-between.

i guess it comes down to what we find works best for us. Try all the different techniques and products. I don't think there is a huge "right or wrong" on this question.
              I do allow and encourage my employees to try new techniques and products and use what works best For Them! As long as the finished product is up to my shop standards I have no quarrel with them.

Comment

ALWAYS after. Much easier to brush a clean, conditioned, straight dog out. Doesn't matter if the dog will drip dry for a bit, or will be HV right away. (Dogs are always dried by hand, whether straight from the tub, or after they have drip dried till damp)
                For shedding dogs I may HV off the bulk of the hair before the bath so it doesn't clog up the bath, but that's it.
                MysticRealm
                Miniature Member
                Last edited by MysticRealm; 07-16-16, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post

Three if I'm going to brush I might as well be brushing and drying at the same time. A HUGE time saver.

After the bath, for exactly the same reasons cockerlvr stated. Does not take long.
                  And if the mats are very bad, they get shaved off.

Comment

No right or wrong really but preference BUT if the matting is so bad yet workable, that level of matting may prevent me from getting the super clean bath I want, or take a lot longer to do the bath, and so it pays to invest the time to breakup or fully demat prior bath. Ultimately every every groom must have a great bath, so I say, will I lose time on this one getting a super clean without first dematting, so do a pretty good demat first??? So I take it on a case by case basis. Good question.

Comment

It is very rare that I do anything to a dog before it goes into the tub. I will occasionally brush out lightly knotted furry faces before I put them into the tub, but 99% of my dogs go straight into the tub and any brushing out done when clean and dry/drying. I do not do extensive dematting, anyway, though. I'll brush out light knots and put a little more effort into dematting ears and tails, but if it's more than light knotting, it's coming off. When I went to school, I was taught the method of thoroughly brushing out every dog before the tub, but I left that method by the wayside within my first year.

Most of my dogs are burrito wrapped in warm towels between the tub and the drying table. Just wrap them right out of the tub sopping wet, no rubbing or patting or blotting. While the warm towel wrapped burrito dogs are staged in cages, I wash other dogs and kind of rotate them out. The warm towels draw out most of the water so that blow drying goes pretty quickly. I no longer do big dogs, but this has been a been a pretty efficient way of washing and drying the littles for one person.

I hope to work another 15-20 years, and since business is at the point where I can be more selective, I do what I can to minimize strain to my body which is why I no longer do big dogs or extensive dematting and instead focus on committed rebooking small regulars. I no longer do the sheddies, either. Man, I have gotten downright lazy in selecting the easiest work possible, but I fully confess to trying to coast through the rest of my career on easy(ish) street. Major dematting isn't even on my radar.

Comment

If the dog is so matted I don't feel I can get it clean, it's matted enough that it will get shaved.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                          Sounds like Dogma is talking more about deshedding. Dematting a shih or poodle does not have hair flying everywhere.

And five- brushing a dirty dog is gross. That grunge gets all over your table, your equipment, and you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MysticRealm View Post
                            If the dog is so matted I don't feel I can get it clean, it's matted enough that it will get shaved.
                            Yes, this. But even then I use a recirc to bath it cause it only needs to be clean at the skin, then I usually damp shave after I've blasted the mats away from the skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedog View Post
                              And five- brushing a dirty dog is gross. That grunge gets all over your table, your equipment, and you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Oh gosh yes! So true.

Comment

Working...
                              X