Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you shave down the nose?

I never have, I think it looks awful.

But my most recent coworkers (both worked at Petsomething) do it, and it drives me nuts. I had one client that couldn't get in with me, so they booked with one of the other groomers. I was in the process of converting the dog to an AF muzzle. Well.....she shaved down the nose. So there goes that.

I have noticed that a lot of the newer groomers seem to be doing it. And if you do it and prefer it, that's fine, I just don't like it myself. But is this what they are teaching the students now?

I only do it on shih tzus because the muzzle is so short or by owner request. I personally can't stand it. I shave a little triangle at the corner of the eyes only.

Comment

I don't normally do it. Had only one customer (schnauzer) who specifically requested to shave down the nose. She was a winter visitor, so I groomed the dog maybe 2-3 times every year, and used thinners on the nose. Otherwise, encourage the owners to be patient to let the hair grow and fall down naturally; otherwise you will be constantly battling sprouting-in-the-eyes hairs.

Comment

By request or on super short faces where it's just all eye goop anyways.

Comment

Only the corner of the eyes. Occasionally tho on lhasa, shih tzu, etc, if the dog has allergies, and other eye problems

sittingpretty

Comment

Hate hate hate the lending strip noses I see coming through. Makes the face all unbalanced and with somd dogs makes them look ridiculous.

Comment

Never, unless the face is so short, that there's no space to shave between the eyes without taking most of the nose off. I've work for corporate for 10 years, and worked with only one groomer who did.

Comment

Only by owner request. I think they all look better with a little hair on their muzzle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Only reluctantly by request or on some smushy faced dogs. My mentor made a huge deal out of how wrong it was. It was like a major peeve to her. I have only recently begun scooping out eye corners with clippers, and only on some dogs. I was taught to scissor all of that, and it's what I've always done. I'm still pretty meh about clippering eye corners and think I still prefer manually trimming there. Definitely no on nose shaving unless my arm is twisted about it. I can't think of a single person who after seeing the difference preferred to go back to nose shaving unless I count the clients whose dogs have major goobery eyes that get ointment and they prefer the hoot owl trim (down the nose and a broad margin around the eyes) for ease of maintenance. I've never had anyone decide it just looks better that way. Shaving down the nose is very common here, like the norm. I seem to be the outlier with my no-snoot-shaving defiance. Every time I see a Yorkie or Schnauzer with its entire snoot shaved, I imagine my mentor openly weeping.

Comment

I admit I rarely use my clipper on the face of breed's who don't have shaved faced. It's the way I was taught and the way I am comfortable grooming. I have always just used my shears.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                      I only do it on shih tzus because the muzzle is so short or by owner request. I personally can't stand it. I shave a little triangle at the corner of the eyes only.
                      Me too.

Comment

I use thinners and curved, blunt tooth shears on faces. For those rare ones who want it shaved, I take it down with thinners. It looks better growing out.
                        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                          Agreed.

Comment

Never never never! Even if the client asks, I try really hard to talk them out of it. I mean, I'll do it if they insist, but it gives me pain. It just unbalances the dog's face so badly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Only dogs I do is clean face and very smushed in Shihtzu faces.
                              I really don't like the look when I can scissor or thinning shear a very short but still blended bridge of nose

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X