Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 Resources on Grooming-Intensive Dog Breeds (We Got Suggested)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Resources on Grooming-Intensive Dog Breeds (We Got Suggested)

PetGroomerMagazine.com (our magazine associated with GroomerTALK) got named 1 of the 6. In particular it noted Christina Pawlosky's article Insights on Harder to Groom Dogs

http://topdogtips.com/grooming-intensive-dog-breeds/

Before adopting a dog there are many things you need to take into consideration including size, energy level and grooming needs. There are many grooming-intensive dog breeds that will either require a lot of time or a lot of money to properly care for. Before adopting a dog you’ll need to consider how much time you’re willing to put into his grooming needs at home (which could include learning how to groom him as well as the actually grooming tasks) or how much money you’ll be able to invest in professional grooming.

Grooming-intensive dog breeds generally have long hair, which is easily matted or tangled. That’s not the only deciding factor, though. They may also need regular ear and eye care, have special bathing needs (like lots of folds and wrinkles to wash between), or skin conditions that require special grooming maintenance................
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Cool! I love the magazine and this board...wealth of help and knowledge.

Comment

great I love the magazine articles

Comment

They forgot the Setter breeds. It's like having another part time job maintaining my 3 Setters, especially English Setters.

One thing I feel shelters should do is inform potential adopters of grooming requirements, like a 1 to 5 scale of cost average per yearly grooming. If you don't want to spend X amount on grooming, consider short coated breeds that don't require haircuts, only brushing. I can't tell you how many people come in the shop with new rescues and are floored that we charge $45 for a small haircut breed. Some of these dogs will become neglected due to groom cost and wind up a pelted mess and/or end up back in the shelter.

Comment

I can't believe cocker spaniels weren't listed but cavaliers were?

Comment

Also not mentioned were Schnauzers, Poodles, ect.....
            Aussies mostly just need brushing and feet and feathers trimmed....as do most of the hairy breeds they listed. A very poorly made list, imho!!!
            Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
            X