Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Owner Pet Peeves

http://www.petoskeynews.com/news/opi...c67a167a7.html

I’m usually not one to state my opinions about controversial topics publicly and I don’t belong to any such organizations, but I can no longer remain silent. Something must be done.

Last summer, my husband and I were enjoying some time in downtown Charlevoix. We were in East Park talking to friends while simultaneously doing a little bit of people watching. Suddenly, Tom called out

“Dawn! Look! Look!” He was point at someone carrying a small, poofy white dog in a backpack. It looked utterly ridiculous with his four little paws dangling helplessly along.

“Oh-my-gosh! I can’t believe what I’m seeing right now!” Actually, I could. Tom purposely pointed it out to me because he knows that my biggest pet peeve is seeing dogs in strollers. Yes, I said dogs in strollers. If you haven’t seen this current trend, there are actually strollers specifically designed for dogs. So basically, instead of putting the dog (or dogs) on a leash, it is put in a stroller, and pushed around town. I have silently tolerated (with gritted teeth) seeing teeny-tiny dogs being carried around in purses, but the dogs in strollers have literally launched me into orbit. And it’s not jug teeny-tiny dogs either. I saw one picture of a yellow lab in one. Are you kidding me?..............
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Weeellllllll- I agree and don't at the same time. Seeing the little ones in strollers IS ridiculous. Especially healthy dogs that need the exercise.
    But we've got a bulldog that the owners have a wagon for. He's old and can't walk long distances at a time. He allows himself to be in snd out as needed. Have another owner who has four toy poodles of various she's and activity levels. She puts them in a stroller to navigate the parking lot - since drivers here are extremely self absorbed and careless. And I even put my Scottie in the basket of a friends bike for the return trek to the house on walks when she started getting really sick.

In principle I wholeheartedly agree with you - dogs need to be dogs and allowed to exist that way. However, if there is a way to ease their discomfort snd still allow them to enjoy life's pleasures ( a backpack to get to the park to play, a stroller or carriage to navigate scorching parking lots and sidewalks, or a bike basket to feel the breeze in their fur) then there is a place for that too.
    I no more fault the use of those AIDS anymore than walkers and canes for geriatrics who have difficulty with balance.

And you can't always blame the owner. I have a client who just had s baby a couple months back - and the have a 3 yo Bichon who decided that he fit just fine on the bottom level of the stroller. He did this of his own accord and now hops on everytime the get ready to go.

Comment

Out of all the neglect and thoughtless pet owners we see, she chooses dogs in strollers to be her rant of choice? A dog should be confined to their home for the rest of their lives just because they can't walk well? At least these people care enough to take their dogs out with them. I doubt a stroller-dog owner would leave them to die of heat exhaustion in a car in 100+ degree weather. I don't understand this at all.

Comment

I'm all for strollers, carriers, backpacks, etc. We demand them for cats for safety reasons, it makes perfect sense for many dogs too. There are too many irresponsible owners with "friendly" dogs that keep them off leash in public or let them greet every dog. A small dog on a leash could easily be dead in one bite. If you're in a city with a safer open park nearby, why not stroller the dog on the walk there in case there are loose dogs? If my dogs weren't 70+ lbs, I'd carry them through certain neighborhoods. If you just want to bring your dog into the pet store to try on a non-refundable jacket, collar, boots, etc, but don't want to risk disease or an attack, putting them in a stroller is a great option.

Comment

I get where you're coming from, but be careful not to judge too quick. I used to do the same- had a backpack for my 16 year old pom who just couldn't keep up with my 2 year old dogs. She loved being involved, just at her pace. Had to defend myself on more than one occasion, probably because she sure didn't look her age. People asking why I didn't let her walk.... well; degenerative spine, luxating patellas, trachea and heart issues. I liked having the carry option (plus I kept a cold pack in there to prevent overheating).

It's situational though. If she was okay to walk, then she did. No picking her up to "save" her from big dogs, no picking her up if I was bored of her slow pace, only when she showed signs of fatigue. Kept her happy in her final years

Comment

I think it looks dumb when people do that, and I feel like some people spoil their dogs too much ... But at the same time, without personally knowing them and really understanding their different situations, it might make sense for some. For my dog he walks around everywhere but I'm a little iffy with crossing streets and walking in parking lots so sometimes I'll carry him depending on the traffic at the time. He's a 20 pound cockapoo... He's also got a bad leg where his knee constantly pops in and out but it doesn't really seem to bother him. At work my friend set up a dog stroller for someone and my dog modeled for them lol he happily got in and let them push him around the store... Also for him if I don't put him in a shopping cart while at the pet store he'll pee everywhere.

I feel like it's situational.

Comment

I rolled my eyes the first time I saw these advertised. Oh My! Walk your dog people!!!

Then I meet some people that use them.
              One lady in our Supper Club had 4 yorkies. She likes to run 5 miles or more a day. Her little dogs can't run that far. So she loads them up in the stroller and runs with one at a time. When that dog gets tired, she switches it out for another dog, and so on and so on. All the dogs get a good run and Mom still gets her 5 miles in.

I know an older woman with a Peke. The Peke has recently developed leg problems (old Peke). This woman still likes to go for her walks and was missing taking her dog. So she got a stroller and now Mom gets her walks in and the dog is happy to go.

I know someone who has an old dog and a younger dog. They both like to go for walks, but the old dog gets tired before the young dog. So they start off the walk all together. When the old dog is tired he gets put into the stroller and the owner and young dog finish the walk.

I now look at dog strollers completely differently. If it gets people out and about with their dogs I think it's a good thing.

Comment

No better way to socialize a puppy too young to be considered to have a fully developed immune system, especially considering how many people and different situations a puppy must encounter from eight to ten weeks, before it's generally considered safe to have him/her walk on the ground in public. Dr. Dunbar believes lack of socialization is a greater danger than illnesses for puppies. A friend in a Sporting Group breed (had the top dog in the country at one time) does the backpack method to socialize puppies as her breed can get a bit heavy to carry for long, even when very young. For a Toy breed in B.A.T., a stroller or backback might be useful in the early stages.

When my last dog (Toy breed) grew so elderly she could no longer walk very far, but still loved her outings, a pet stroller worked perfectly. A number of times I've seen exhibitors use pet strollers at conformation shows to transport Toy breeds to the ring, particularly Chis.

Comment

If I was going to have a pet peeve about dog owners it would be the ones that disregard grooming their pets right or enough. Let them use strollers but are the pets clean, nails trimmed and coats in good shape. Matters more to me.

Comment

Her response with regard to dogs with mobility issues:

“Well what if they can’t walk very well?”

“Then leave them at home!” I replied.
                    Bless her heart. Haters gonna hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
                      If I was going to have a pet peeve about dog owners it would be the ones that disregard grooming their pets right or enough. Let them use strollers but are the pets clean, nails trimmed and coats in good shape. Matters more to me.
                      I agree. So many times I see painfully overgrown nails, especially on large elderly dogs- I want to clip them right then and there.

Comment

I don't have a stroller but I do have a wagon. I bought it for when my st.poo pup had only had first set of shots but I wanted to still socialize him. It has now been a god send as my pom is injured and is on crate/xpen rest and is going crazy and I can pop him in his crate and into the wagon and off we go with the rest of the pack for a walk.

But if people are just doing it so (perfectly sound and healthy) pooky doesn't have to walk then that does irk me because it can create a very poorly socialized dog if it's always 'carried'.

Comment

Working...
                        X