Anyone make their own scrubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone make their own scrubs?

I have been seeing a lot of dogs with really gross flaky skin. It's more than dander; it's chunks of skin and sometimes yeasty and/or greasy buildup.

Do any of you make your own scrubs? I make one for myself with olive or coconut oil, plain sugar, raw honey, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Would that help the skin issues? Would a sugar scrub cause any drain clogging? Would the sugar be too course? Do you have any recipes or suggestions?

When I read this for some reason I thought you meant scrub tops lol. I am starting to make my own scrubs now actually, so this thread is well timed. Another question I will add is what essential oils can I add to the scrub that will be safe for dogs?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyonai View Post
      When I read this for some reason I thought you meant scrub tops lol. I am starting to make my own scrubs now actually, so this thread is well timed. Another question I will add is what essential oils can I add to the scrub that will be safe for dogs?
      Yes I want to know that too! I was thinking about tea tree oil, but then I read something about dogs getting tea tree oil poisoning from some kind of shampoo? But we use a shampoo with tea tree oil, and we have a tea tree oil spray, and neither have caused any negative reactions so I just don't know.

Comment

If suggest sugar scrubs before anything too involved. Keep it to a simple , minimal ingredient type of scrub in case there is a reaction you'll want to be able to identify what was used.
        Coconut oil or olive oil base with sugar. Sugar shouldn't clog drains - but if you're mobile you'll need to check with the experienced mobilers before proceeding

Comment

Originally posted by RareBear View Post
          Yes I want to know that too! I was thinking about tea tree oil, but then I read something about dogs getting tea tree oil poisoning from some kind of shampoo? But we use a shampoo with tea tree oil, and we have a tea tree oil spray, and neither have caused any negative reactions so I just don't know.
          Tea tree is an irritant to some dogs with sensitivities. We have a lot of malaelucca trees ( related to tea tree ) here and when they are in bloom the allergy reactions for humans and animals are off the charts. Using an additional product is a big NO!

Comment

Wait.......are you guys talking about scrubbing something abrasive on an already red, sensitive, flakey skin ? ..........thinking what??.....that this will make it less red, less sensitive, less flakey until his next appointment? You are not chemists, nor dermatologists, so I would suggest that you stick to grooming and not skin care.

Happy leaving it to the experts

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

As groomers we take care of the skin also Dolly. The skin is where the coat comes from. How does anyone expect healthy coat to come from bad skin? We are said I would at least attempt to speak with vet and come to some agreement as far as what all involved can do for the pet.

Comment

You might want to do mud bath treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                  Wait.......are you guys talking about scrubbing something abrasive on an already red, sensitive, flakey skin ? ..........thinking what??.....that this will make it less red, less sensitive, less flakey until his next appointment? You are not chemists, nor dermatologists, so I would suggest that you stick to grooming and not skin care.

Happy leaving it to the experts

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
                  Nope, not irritated or red or sensitive. Just full of built-up dead skin and layers of grease.

Comment

You can also slather on some diluted mild conditioner let it set and use a yuppy puppy brush. Or a mudbath or Iv San Bernard products. Man options

Comment

1. I definitely plan on talking to my vet before using on client dogs.
                      2. I am aware of the virtues of scrubbing conditioner and mud baths.

Does anyone use homemade scrubs in their salons, and/or have recipes that they like?

Comment

I am sorry I do not. I use Iv San Bernard products and Madra Mor Mudbaths.

Comment

This is definitely a mud bath candidate but that is not homemade. A scrub could make things better, but curious about the root cause. Some people have written about sugar scrubs if you search here, but not saying that is what this dog needs.

Comment

Whatever you use for a scrub, look into the Yuppy Puppy bath brush. It is wonderful for getting everything you use down to the skin, will remove crusty stuff and WILL NOT scratch or irritate the skin.
                            Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Yes I make scrubs and have awesome success on clients dogs. No I do not offer it as a " treatment " to " cure " anything. I have taken additional education specifically on this topic to learn the how & why.
                              One place to learn more for very cheap price is www.theNAPCG.com they have free webinars and magazines and such for members. I took a few webinars on sugar scrubs, salt and oil soaks, essential oils, yogurt wraps and mud baths.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X