Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bather advertising light grooming on her facebook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bather advertising light grooming on her facebook?

Ok so I hired a girl that used to work for me, had some issues. thought I would give her a second chance. She has started using dog vacay and, no biggie, but I noticed she is now adding light grooming to her list, does she groom NO, except her own dogs, should I be pissed about this and tell her to take it down or just de friend her completely, I would like to be sure she didn't try and soliciate clients when my back is turned, she does has access to my cards, she knows my hubby will be back and possible she will notbe working for me again. thoughts? thx

Well.........bathing, drying, nail trims, santi trims, ear cleaning is grooming...and this is what bathers usually do. I don't see anything wrong with her FB posting....and if you are so worried about your client cards, lock them up so only you have access to them. Can't comment on "dog vacay" because I am clueless on this term. I would stay off FB, enjoy summer a little more, play with your kids or doggie more, and enjoy life.

Happy living without FB

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I would have fired her the second I saw her doing thi s....it is a total conflict of interest and likely illegal since I doubt she has the business licenses and insurance
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

She is trouble, cut the cord as you can.

Comment

Ok, Ok, Ok,..........now you guys have really got me confused. We all know that bathers do not make much $$. So now, we have a gal that comes into work at your shop, then on her off time, she tries to compensate her meager salary, by working for herself......and you guys want to "fire her/cut the cord". Would you guys feel better if, on her off time, she worked at a different salon to make more $$ ?? OR was she suppose to ASK for permission to get a second job.

Happy not being crazy

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I personally would not worry about it. In one case this could get you more clients. Her telling them to come to you because it's beyond her ability. In another case she realizes that she just can't handle it and either quits you or stop taking at home. If you have her all day she does not have much time to do more. Wear her out at your shop. Book her heavy let her get a Real fast of Work.

Comment

I'm with Dolly and Cybercat on this one.
              When I have people learning they often times want to do the family and neighbor dogs for practice. No big deal. Let them practice.
              I find that they soon learn that it's not so much fun to groom at home, and they don't charge enough to make it worth their while. They often stop offering that home service within a few months.
              By that time they have advanced into more grooming at my shop and they are earning more money.

However, if they were getting into my card file and calling MY clients, that would be a different story. That would be grounds for dismissal.
              But washing and trimming feet on the neighbor dogs, or trying out some clipper work on the family dogs is no big deal to me.

Comment

it really gets down to if she is just practicing on neighbors or charging them.

Comment

Advertising light grooming versus doing the neighbor dogs for free is totally different. From what is said here advertising light grooming IS A BUSINESS, it is not gratis work for the neighbors and requires a legal business setup no matter how many grooms she does.

Comment

The details that are left out of the original post give me pause. What issues were there the first time she worked for you? Is she an employee or an independent contractor? As an IC she might have more leeway to branch out; I'd check the legality before moving forward. Dog Vacay is a site for locating professional pet sitters; I'd assume any services she has added to her listing aren't there for her to practice free of charge but to bolster her fee. On the plus side, it is possible that the exposure she gets through this venue could lead to more clients for your business. If it were me, I'd speak with her sooner rather than later to clarify what her plans are for her pet sitting business and what your plans are for utilizing her if/when your husband returns. It sounds as if you want to maintain a relationship with her; I would probably base the bulk of my decisions concerning her employment and future utilization on how forthcoming she is concerning her plans and my gut. Yes, sometimes it's just a matter of instinct. One more thing - like "good fences make good neighbors" - "good security makes honest employees." Guard your clients like the assets they are. :-)

Comment

Light grooming like brush outs and nail trims? ear cleanings? Is the goal to help dogs be healthy and happy or make every nickel and dime you can? Is she stealing your clients or bringing hers in. I would think she would be telling people where they can go to get their dogs fully groomed and that would be your salon while she is working if she can't groom from home. I see nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Did anything ever come of this?

Comment

Isn't dog vacay a pet sitter-type website? I think you can select different services to add that you offer in addition to the pet siting, including "light grooming" which would refer to trimming nails, a quick brushing, etc. of pets you are scheduled to check out. I don't see that as a conflict of interest. It would be different if she was advertising herself on craigslist doing grooming outside of the salon, but this didn't seem like what was happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
                            Advertising light grooming versus doing the neighbor dogs for free is totally different. From what is said here advertising light grooming IS A BUSINESS, it is not gratis work for the neighbors and requires a legal business setup no matter how many grooms she does.
                            I believe if youre signed up with dogvacay and add services, as long as people pay through the website, they're covered with insurance. I use it for dog walking and sitting and if the customer pays through PayPal, dogvacay takes out about 15% for insurance

Comment

What's the big deal. People are allowed to earn a living and who are YOU to stop them? Light grooming should be sanis, feet trims, pad trims, scoop eyes along with bath, nails. Sounds like she's not trying to come across as a full groomer.

I can't stand groomers who are paranoid they will lose clients when employees leave a business. If you lose some, so be it. They are not "yours" to begin with. Clients are free to o to whomever they choose.

Comment

Working...
                              X