ADVICE need money on the side too much free time drive me crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVICE need money on the side too much free time drive me crazy

Hi! I graduated from Grooming Academy in NC about 2 months ago. I am working part time with a groomer at her shop right now.
    I need to make some more money. I was thinking about grooming dogs inside my house or inside owner's houses.
    I have a car so I could put table in there.
    I have concerns about going to people's houses. They might watch you and distract me from doing a good job. The pet might freak out and want to go to its owner.
    What if they don't have a proper bathtub??? It will get messy.
    I don't have a dryer only for my own hair. If I want to groom small-big dogs 10-100lbs what kind of portable dryer would be good to buy at reasonable price?
    What kind of table is good brand and will hold big dogs. I love big dogs so....
    Any advice?
    Should I do the grooming in my own house????

PLease any help

Quite frankly unless you are an absolute star at grooming you need to stay with somebody who can supervise you. Two months after school is nothing!
    If your school get hasn't given you enough information about House call grooming, home-based grooming shop grooming or mobile grooming then you need to do a lot more studying and research before you go out on your own. If you try this before you are ready you are a disaster ready to happen. The very first thing you would need to do is get your insurance coverage in place. Injuring a dog or damaging property while you were there working is something that could lose you your home your car your future earnings. Study! Learn before you go out and do this!

Comment

You are not ready to be on your own.

Comment

Honey. I am talking about making some extra money on the side. I am perfectly capable of doing pet trims, shave downs etc.
        It would be my neighbors and my families friends that ask for this service.
        My school gave me a lot of information on mobile grooming, home based grooming, and shop grooming.

Comment

Can you get some work dog-sitting or dog-walking? That's good for dog-handling skills, and who knows, they may turn into customers.

Comment

i have those already. I am ready to start grooming inside my home!
            I went to a 3 month intensive very good school and I am gaining first hand work exp at salon. I volunteer at animal shelter all the time. I am ready. Why is everyone so negative??

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
              Can you get some work dog-sitting or dog-walking? That's good for dog-handling skills, and who knows, they may turn into customers.
              YES- I already do dog walking and pet sitting. This is the people that are asking me to groom their dogs!

Comment

Originally posted by Nitewalk View Post
                You are not ready to be on your own.
                I am NOT TAlking about owning my own business.

Comment

Then you need to go to the City and get your Business License and tax ID Number. You need to see if you even are allowed to have a business in your neighborhood. There are usually restrictions on what you can and can't do as a business in your home.

And yes, even if you "only groom a few dogs" for extra money, you need to be professional about it and get all your ducks in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
                    Then you need to go to the City and get your Business License and tax ID Number. You need to see if you even are allowed to have a business in your neighborhood. There are usually restrictions on what you can and can't do as a business in your home.

And yes, even if you "only groom a few dogs" for extra money, you need to be professional about it and get all your ducks in a row.
                    this is ridiculous. I just want to groom my neighbor's dog.

Comment

Originally posted by natbishop View Post
                      I am NOT TAlking about owning my own business.
                      But you ARE! It may not be a storefront, but you are talking about owning your own business. As was mentioned, you need to check zoning, business license requirements and definitely insurance.

If you need more money, why aren't you having these people come to the shop you are working at?

I don't think anyone is trying to be negative, but the majority of us on this board want to see grooming considered as a respectable profession, done above board, with all the T's crossed and I's dotted. What are you going to do if you run into a situation that you can't handle?

You also need to take into consideration what your boss will think of you doing this. In some cases it could be grounds for termination.

Comment

this is ridiculous. I just want to groom my neighbor's dog.
                        It can seem ridiculous but grooming dogs for other people in your house for an exchange of money means everything that goes along with having a business. Even just a few...it has become so much more regulated in the last decade. As long as you charge for services, it is a business.
                        Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                          But you ARE! It may not be a storefront, but you are talking about owning your own business. As was mentioned, you need to check zoning, business license requirements and definitely insurance.

If you need more money, why aren't you having these people come to the shop you are working at?

I don't think anyone is trying to be negative, but the majority of us on this board want to see grooming considered as a respectable profession, done above board, with all the T's crossed and I's dotted. What are you going to do if you run into a situation that you can't handle?

You also need to take into consideration what your boss will think of you doing this. In some cases it could be grounds for termination.
                          I am not owning my own business! I am working with a groomer and it is her clientele. My boss was the one who suggested me doing grooming gigs.
                          Just forget it. I don't want any more of this conversation.

Comment

If you groom dogs from home for money it IS a business

Comment

I am not owning my own business! I am working with a groomer and it is her clientele. My boss was the one who suggested me doing grooming gigs.
                              Just forget it. I don't want any more of this conversation.
                              Well, you asked for advice, and you did not like the answer you received from experienced people...I hope you do not get hurt financially and physically by not doing it the proper way. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X