Bathtub suggestions anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathtub suggestions anyone?

I work at Petsomething as a groomer. I am currently hoping to branch out as a mobile groomer. I don't have a van but I plan on purchasing a Prima Bathing system & a blow dryer and working out of my Ford Ranger truck. My goal is to simply do BATHING at a low price and to do it quickly. So the only thing I need is a bath tub. So I was looking for suggestions. Obviously I could use the owner's tub, but I would rather show up to the owner's house take them out to my truck, bathe them in the back of my truck and dry them while I'm brushing them. Obviously there are many details to work out, but right now I'm looking for a tub(s) that can accommodate big/small dogs, can drain, etc. Any suggestions guys?

Oh man. Can't wait to see the responses to this one.

Comment

Will you quit from Petsomething before starting your business, or are you saying you plan to do both? Do you have a camper shell over the truck bed, where is the warm water coming from, and waste water going?
      Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Uhh.... a Ford ranger is a tiny truck right?

Comment

I just don't see how this is plausible. To bathe then outside of the customers home you're gonna need a water pump, a fresh and grey water tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
            Oh man. Can't wait to see the responses to this one.
            LMAO!

OP, Admin has some major questions that apply to your post...and his questions are spot on (as always).
            IF you can make this work....use a rubber made livestock water trough for your tub, they come in many sizes and can have drain holes and a drain put in easy. Better have some strong eyeballs to tie those dogs to in trk bed.
            I did however see a small camp trailer (like one a motorcycle would pull) that the back opened up and they did dog in the open....it was on CL in E Tx.
            Cyn
            Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
            Last edited by Cyn; 06-17-16, 04:27 PM. Reason: added more as I thought about it
            Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Not to be disrespectful, I don't see how you can pull this off without looking like a complete amateur and how you will get any clients is beyond me. How will you bathe in complete sunlight in the back of a pickup truck? Where will you get water and power?

I can give you a more professional way of doing it without including your truck. Get yourself a booster bath (look it up). It's plastic and portable. You can set it up on someone's property, get an Easy Up tent for hot sunny days to provide shelter and a folding leg groom table, your tools and dryer with an extension cord. Now you will have a 10 foot by 10 foot "salon" on a driveway or yard and you can do housecall grooming.

To try to pull off "mobile grooming" with a pickup is ridiculous and foolish. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Comment

I wants sat through a luncheon with two Boone Pickens in one of my prior careers. The upshot of the entire event was "if you want to be successful you have to start out looking successful". His first big chance came and he went out borrowed money to set up to look successful before even started. Then with a lot of hard work he could get more money for more supporters and more backers and become truly even more successful. If you want to be respected, be professional, and be successful you need to do this the right way. If you are going to be a mobile groomer then you need the proper set up. If you're going to be a house call grandma when you need the proper set up. You wouldn't have a shop to do grooming until people they have to bring their own shampoo would you? If you can't make the investment wait until you have the funds bailable so that you can do it correctly. We have far too many stories on this corner of full-time hard-working Groomers competing with people who are doing things on the back porch in a washtub. It only serves to diminish us as a profession and to diminish yourself as a professional.

Comment

Wow sorry that was never my intention...

Comment

Hmm, that Easy Up Tent salon sounds like a good idea, I have the perfect area to do this...thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by PuliFan23 View Post
                      Hmm, that Easy Up Tent salon sounds like a good idea, I have the perfect area to do this...thanks for the advice
                      I believe Tom was talking about setting up Easy Up Tent and using the Booster Tub on other ppl property....that is what house call grooming is. If you wanted to set this up on your property it would be called Home Based grooming and a tent would be very unprofessional (as you first idea was, sorry don't mean to insult). Honey was correct on her post of being professional.

Comment

Is your Ranger set up with a cab conversion enclosure in the back with a large doorway for entrance/exit........do you have a 50 gal water tank for fresh water, or a hot water heater for warm water ? What about your source of power.....generator....or are you going to run extension cords from the owner's house to your Ranger ? You will also need a grooming table, to do ears, nails, under paws and santi trims. You will also need exhaust fans...... and A/C during the hot summers/furnace during the cold season.

I can only shake my head when you say, "low price" and "quickly". To do a thorough bath, conditioning, doing the ears, nails, paws and santi trim, combing/brush outs, and drying, can't be done "quickly" and you want to do all this at a "low price".................

I would save every penny you make and purchase a used van that is already setup for grooming. Then I would advertise total grooming and set my prices that is fair in your area so you aren't undercutting anyone else.

Happy saving $$

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

There are occasionally some trailers sold here for even under $3.5K, I would save for one of those. Getting your Ranger setup even "decent" is that much. Good luck.

Comment

Where are you at so I can take a look at what options are available....

Comment

Originally posted by PuliFan23 View Post
                              Where are you at so I can take a look at what options are available....
                              Petstimes2 meant here on the forums in the classifieds section.

Comment

Working...
                              X