Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed

I had someone bring a dog to me that they had found and were wanting to adopt. They wanted her groomed but hadn't taken her to be checked out at the veterans yet (I didn't know that at the time) When they brought her she seemed very sweet but as soon as I went to examine what I needed to do she instantly snapped at me. I brushed it off and gave it a minute and tried again and she bit me. I apologized and told them I wouldn't be able to groom the dog for obvious safety reasons but now I feel horrible about it. Has anyone else ever delt with this issue? Should I have handled it differently?

I would not have groomed the dog before the vet checked it out. I want all dogs that come to my salon be current on vaccinations. We have parvo going around in town right now and I don't want chance of spreading it. Also, there might be some underlying conditions you and prospective owners are not aware of, that could have made the dog snappy. It is good that you wanted to help to clean the dog up, but your safety and safety of your customers should come first. Hope the bite was not bad

Comment

I would have used my Groomers Helper and a muzzle. I have always worked by myself and in 30 years, I've never not been able to finish a groom.

Happy not getting bit

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I think this dog should not be adopted. It's already exhibiting bad signs just examining and looking over her? No way. Take this found dog to the shelter. There's no place in society for vicious dogs. We domesticated them to be companions, not land sharks.

Comment

I would not sweat it. I'm happy to send these dogs to more willing groomers. I keep their cards by my table to hand out. My willingness to handle difficult dogs (or people) is directly influenced by how hungry I am, and right now I'm pretty full. I feel absolutely no shame for refusing any dog.

Comment

You did right. Couple of issues here. One no vet check and dog not socialized. Pup no doubt was under Major stress. After vet check a groom is needed but you have to train the pup for grooming. Found dogs are tuff on those without a dog training background. Again you did right.

Comment

I have ppl like this call all the dang time! We found this dog, it is a filthy mess and we want it cleaned up before we take it to the vet. Ha, I want it vet cleared before I touch it.
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Agree with Cyn. That first then grooming. There are too many diseases out there, and too many things that could hurt you and your business. Besides, unless they take it to a vet and have it scanned for a chip they don't know if they have any right to own it. The owner may be missing their dog! That's just common sense road keep in mind – Vet first then make it pretty.

I do hope you've managed to get the dogbite looked at professionally since you have no clue what that dog may have been carrying you really do need to make sure all of your shots are up-to-date. Hope everything works out for the best.

Comment

I think you did fine.

It really brings up and issue beyond your experience too. First and foremost, before beautiful grooming I am being paid for by customers, is what? SAFETY FOR THEIR PETS. That is not just how I handle their pet, but other pets. So I feel it is my DUTY to ensure that other pets that come to my business don't pose a danger to other customers. So there are the things you cannot see like health, so a vet check and that I know who their vet is of every pet is number one. ALSO, cage-free. No way for me, I don't take chances. Sounds nice but in some cage-free definitions pets of different owners can make contact. Personally I have NO RIGHT to allow a pet of one customer to touch another customer even if the odds are 1 billion to 1, I am not being paid to risk any chances. So that's where I come from and you did right.

Comment

"I have ppl like this call all the dang time! We found this dog, it is a filthy mess and we want it cleaned up before we take it to the vet."

Cyn, I used to have people tell us that all the time too. Back in the "cocker days" and back when the town I groom in was more rural. 9 times out of 10 it was the owners dog. Their dog needed to see the vet and they were embarrassed about the condition of their dog.

Bornn69....like Dolly, I muzzle them and groom them. Often just putting a muzzle on them calms them down. Also, using an E-collar is helpful. We like the new soft ones.

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
                      "I have ppl like this call all the dang time! We found this dog, it is a filthy mess and we want it cleaned up before we take it to the vet."

Cyn, I used to have people tell us that all the time too. Back in the "cocker days" and back when the town I groom in was more rural. 9 times out of 10 it was the owners dog. Their dog needed to see the vet and they were embarrassed about the condition of their dog.

Bornn69....like Dolly, I muzzle them and groom them. Often just putting a muzzle on them calms them down. Also, using an E-collar is helpful. We like the new soft ones.
                      Dogma, this was and is still true ....9 out of 10 times I would say it is their dog and they are ashamed to let the vet see it a filthy mess.
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Veterinarian first. I will not groom a dog who is not UTD on their rabies vaccine.

Comment

Rabies would be my first concern, considering the dog was presented as a stray. Although I don't believe vaccinations are necessary every year, I do require yearly documentation for my salon. For future reference, my feelings on this situation are , definitely need vet exam and vaccines before grooming. You want to make sure the dog doesn't have kennel cough or any other infection, before bringing into your salon. You took all the risk in that situation, as now you have to sweat it out for a couple weeks and pray the dog wasn't infected with rabies. I wouldn't label the dog vicious yet, as who knows what the poor dear has been through. At the very least he's been lost or dumped, picked up by strangers, taken to another stranger who is now doing things to him that may have never been done before. He may have had to defend himself from coyotes before being rescued and had to scrounge for food, shelter, etc....yeah, in a nutshell...stress can make dogs behave in a way they wouldn't normally behave. That being said, always use cautionary measures with dogs unfamiliar to you. You did the right thing by not continuing with the groom, as I agree the dog needed a vet exam first. Then I would have groomed the dog, using a muzzle and an assistant to pet and calm the dog while I did all the scary stuff. Once settled into his new home, that dog may be one of your best behaved dogs ever.....or he may be a recurring nightmare. One just never knows.

Comment

Wow! I'm so glad I joined! Thank you all so much for your responses. I feel a lot better. Also the customer took the pup to the vet and had her checked out vaccinated and shaved under sedation (unfortunately). She then called and asked if id be willing to try again once she has time to get used to her new home and more stable. I think she was just stressed out being in so many new places in such a short period of time, so I'll try again lol. Thank you all again, this discussion board rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                            X