Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Things I Wished I Knew Before I Became a Dog Groomer

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/12-t...193132782.html

1. Proper grooming starts with understanding what a dog was bred to do. Grooming isn't just aesthetic - every part of a dog's haircut has a purpose, including the head floof. For example, poodles were bred to be sporting and hunting dogs. You know those pom-poms on their hips? Those are designed to keep their joints warm in cold water.

2. Dog baths are even nicer than the ones you give yourself. We usually spend an hour bathing our dogs. We start off by cleaning their ears and giving them a blueberry facial, which is a concentrated face wash. I'll do a clay mask on dogs who have skin issues. Then I choose the shampoo and conditioner to match the dog's coat type, and I give all our dogs an argan oil face mask. Then comes the blow-dry, fluff, and style. I also love to finish with a dry argan oil to keep the follicles hydrated and detangled.

3. Some groomers go to dog-grooming school, but you'll learn a lot more on the job. You don't need a certification to work as a groomer, but there are schools that will teach you the basics and certification programs like International Professional Groomers or National Dog Groomers Association of America. I once met a girl who took an online grooming class, and I thought that was bonkers. I spent a year working as a bather (the person who washes the dogs and prepares them for their haircut), and it allowed me to work my way up to actually grooming within a few years. Figuring out how to hold scissors was really hard at first, but you pick it up over time if you practice..................
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Some good things here that we have all probably experienced.

Comment

"We usually spend an hour bathing our dogs"
      Wow, that's waaaay too long.

Comment

Agree. Unless each dog is charged $200, then i would happily take an hour to scrub!

Comment

The while article was strangely written imo!
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

"Sometimes groomers accidentally get water in the dog's ears, which can create an ear infection."

No.

Comment

Right so why then do vets wash out ears sometimes.

Comment

There are so many people that think that is true. http://www.akc.org/learn/dog-health/dog-ear-infections/

Comment

The owners! Specifically when you get the crazy ones >_<

Comment

Working...
                  X