Orlando solidarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando solidarity

It may be controversial but hope it can be posted and shared.

After the events of Sunday in Orlando was trying to think of someway to share a show of support and unity. With my limited creativity and skill set finally hit upon an idea. Stopped at the store on the way home tonight and bought some rainbow fabric for bandanas. Every dog this week gets a rainbow flag colored bandana - male and female, large and small. For those few I have booked this week needing topknot bows I've made a few silver ribbon barrettes ( thanks to the Tonys last night).

It's not about supporting a lifestyle choice or making any statement other then to remember to share love and kindness rather than hate.

"When the world around me is going crazy, and I am losing my faith in humanity, I just have to take one look at my dog to know that good still exists."
    HoneyandChewiespal
    Champion Member & Club 1,000
    Last edited by HoneyandChewiespal; 06-13-16, 09:36 PM. Reason: To improve legibility and correct

I applaud you for doing this ! As an LGBTQ family member who lives and works in a rural conservative area I often have had difficultly in expressing myself openly , especially during Pride , because in the past someone took down our flags threw on ground. That was 12 yrs ago. Things have improved however I still fear doing such a display and losing clients because of my life (not lifestyle....it's just my life). I had rainbow bandanna fabric before and clients gave me strange looks. I'm going to go out for some tomorrow since you inspired me to try again. I really want to support my LGBTQ family. We did a dog wash for hurricane Katrina and sent funds to Red Cross.... I think I will do one for the LGBTQ victims and try to find where to send it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yikes........I think you need to ask your clients if they would like a rainbow bandanna or a regular bandanna. I think some people would not like to walk in the park, with their doggie wearing a Gay Pride bandanna when they are not gay.

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I'm not criticizing your choice, since everyone should do what is right for them as long as they don't hurt other people, but I keep my business separate from world events, good or bad. For me, grooming is a refuge. For my clients here in NYC, I try to provide a break from the world. That's just me. I don't know if it's right or wrong This is not the same as hiding from reality. I follow world events. My clients are aware of world events.
        I doubt any of your clients thinks you would not be in support of innocent people murdered. They know where you stand already, with or without bandanas. But again, just my opinion.

Comment

Wasn't that thoughtful of the city of Paris to honor the pain of Orlando by lighting the Eiffel Tower. Class act.

Comment

While I applaud your efforts, I would definitely think twice before doing this. You could have some really good clients who are vehemently against LGBT's. You could lose clients. If it doesn't matter to you and you stand on principle then by all means go ahead. Otherwise, I would tread softly.

Comment

I agree with both cockerlvr and dolly on this one.

Comment

I'd do the same thing I do before putting a Holloween themed bandana on a dog: ask.

Maybe you could display a sample bandana in the check-in area with a sign letting people know they're available. With a small donation?

Comment

I think it is a nice idea and I would make it one of the choices they have.

Comment

I think it's a great idea. Bet a lot of folks won't even get the rainbow thing. If they don't like it, they can always remove it before that 'walk in the park'. Fear of upsetting someone and being 'politically correct' has had a very negative effect on this country I'm afraid.
                    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Thanks. The bandana fabric is a stylized small wave pattern which I have used as a general, between seasons bandana before. Almost all clients like it.
                      As for anyone being offended - it's been a moot point. Those who are anti LGBT are generally a bit circumspect around here. I'm 3 miles from South Beach ( Birdcage , anyone) and 90 miles from Key West and openly gay and lesbian couples are the norm, as are drag shows. The pride parades around here are some of the largest in the nation.

These are simply a small way to offer quiet support to a large section of our community - without trying to recruit for either side.
                      For me, and in this locale , this is no more controversial than putting red/white/ blue bandanas on for Memorial Day and the 4th, and seasonally appropriate the rest of the year.
                      While a greatly appreciate the concerns and guidance from the previous posts - and I thought about it before choosing the fabric- I have found in my experience that those who want to be offended will be no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
                        I think it's a great idea. Bet a lot of folks won't even get the rainbow thing. If they don't like it, they can always remove it before that 'walk in the park'. Fear of upsetting someone and being 'politically correct' has had a very negative effect on this country I'm afraid.
                        Quite true. PC over correctness has hindered everything from education to art to open conversation amongst peers. Sometimes it makes me feel the way I've heard people talk about McCarthyism in the 50's - looking around and lowering your voice to speak to someone because you're afraid who might over hear snd musundestsnd or misconstrue.
                        Sorry - got on my soapbox. I'm an Edward R Murrow lover.

Comment

The incident in Orlando is horrible and wrong regardless of who was murdered. Having said that, while I care about the victims and their families I do not support their lifestye and would not have my dog wearing Pride colors, neither do I have any customers who would do so . I have chosen to use American patriotic scarves because, ultimately this is another attack on our blessed country.

Comment

Lol. I remember the time a client fired me because she "could not support (my) lifestyle." She had gushed about how she loved my work and thought I was just a swell gal, hated to give me up, such a shame about my immoral "lifestyle" because she had thought I was pretty ok. I am in a black/white interracial marriage. I'm not sure what part of my lifestyle she objected to. Get up, go to work, pay my bills, grocery shopping-- she never specified which lifestyle activity was so objectionable. I asked. Then when she asked later to come back, I chose to dismiss her based on my disapproval of her lifestyle and disagreeable morals. Ha, no. I was just plain booked out.

Anyway, I keep any political and social activism largely separate from my business mainly because I am in an area where my political and social beliefs would be largely unpopular, and of the things I support, I most support my ability to get paid. I am pretty passionate about not starving. That said, I would happily put rainbow themed decorations on a dog if asked. I keep all of my decorations pretty neutral-- seasonal without reference to specific holidays unless asked. No one has ever cared that my bandanas have snowmen and snowflakes instead of Jesus, or pumpkins instead of skeletons and scary witches.

Rainbow print as a statement would go over like a fart in church here, but I applaud anyone who can get away with expressing themselves openly through their business without negative consequences. I donated money (as an individual, not a business). I strive to foster an environment, though, where anyone can feel they will be treated with dignity.

Comment

I agree with Honey and Karla. Having lived and worked in South Beach during the '80s and 90s, she is exactly on point for the community she lives in. If anything, I think her subtle tribute will endear her to her clients who do understand the meaning and gesture. People who are vehemently against LGBTQ would find themselves the severely uncomfortable minority on South Beach.

Honey is also right that people who want to be offended will be, no matter what. It's the nature of humans. Dogs (and animals in general) don't judge a person by their color, gender preference, religious choice or nationality. They judge them by their energy and if it might be a threat to them. I find it interesting that so many who choose to work with dogs haven't learned that same simple quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X