No announcement yet.

Older and wiser (and just too tired...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older and wiser (and just too tired...)

Just can't justify trying to groom dogs like this anymore: 4 year old Shepherd/Chow mix...never been groomed, how much for a complete groom (bath and shave-down)? I said if cost is your priority, please contact the competition.

End of that phone call.

Maximum charge for ANY dog that they groom is $30. I can't compete and why should I try?

Bravo!!!!! OMG I love it!

Comment

Good for you Pete! Because you can not compete with 30.00 for a 3 yr old Chow mix that has never been done.....who would even want to compete with that? That is too big of a job!
      Cyn
      Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
      Last edited by Cyn; 06-07-16, 02:59 PM. Reason: corrected OAY to 3 yr old never been done
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Way to go!!!!
        Yep, I'm also reaching the place where I'm not going to accept the completely incorrigible ( read as 'jerk') owner.

Comment

Just because they asked how much doesn't mean cost is their priority. I ask prices all the time just to get an idea what I'm looking at and if I can fit it in my budget this week or month. Doesn't mean I would shop for the lowest price, some people want an idea of cost, especially if this dog was never groomed. Maybe they are unaware of the competition and their $30 max grooms.

Comment

I don't understand. They asked the price, so you told them that if price is their priority they should go to the competition?
            They weren't supposed to ask the price? How do they find out if they don't ask? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just confused.

Comment

I Agree with Tom.

Comment

Ugh. A 4 year old chow mix that's never been groomed???! I wouldn't even quote a price for something like that before I met the dog. Let the low price groomer have at that one!
                Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Ya, if it's never been groomed before of course they have no idea what the cost would be. They don't know if it will be $30, they don't know if it will be $500. I'd certainly want some idea of what costs I'd be looking at beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                    Just because they asked how much doesn't mean cost is their priority. I ask prices all the time just to get an idea what I'm looking at and if I can fit it in my budget this week or month. Doesn't mean I would shop for the lowest price, some people want an idea of cost, especially if this dog was never groomed. Maybe they are unaware of the competition and their $30 max grooms.
                    Tom, you are correct,.However Pete has been fighting for and defending her prices for a few yrs now,.and I don't blame her for being tired of it, jmo.
                    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                      Tom, you are correct,.However Pete has been fighting for and defending her prices for a few yrs now,.and I don't blame her for being tired of it, jmo.
                      I agree.

Comment

Yes, I know. It's not good customer service and comes off rude and could cost you more business, especially with these Yelpers out there. One bad review can hurt a business. It doesn't hurt to quote a range before seeing the dog. Now, if you don't want to take it on and in this case, I would not want to do it, you can politely say you are booked solid or you are not taking on new clients at this time.

Comment

Sorry I didn't give everyone the whole conversation...I did tell her that the dog would start at $100 because it would be at least 4 hours of work. The silence on the phone was obvious - that's when I made the price priority statement and told her she should call the competition.

Cyn, I groomed a large cocker on Friday, who hadn't been groomed in 8 months. The owner told me in no uncertain terms about the bad job the competition did on the dog. I said "I bet the price was much cheaper though, wasn't it?" The owner "Yes, but that's not what I call a groom, and I wasn't thrilled how she handled the dog." I charged him $52, he was OK with that.

Our prices will be going up in July - probably $2 on small dogs, $5 and up on larger dogs. I'm sure we will lose some customers. It's been over two years since we've raised prices.

Comment

Yes but the way we write messages here it doesn't mean she wasn't polite, just to the point here what happened.

Comment

Yeah I don't blame you. I would of probably quoted a base price of say $90 then say that if s/he takes longer then normal it is an extra $45 an hr. I had a newfie that was horrible (when I was a store front) depending on how week the owner took off him he could end up costing her well over $200.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X