Desperately need groomers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperately need groomers

I have been advertising for a year and a half and cannot find groomers. I had a couple that lasted a day or 2 but were not going to be good employees so they had to go. I had a girl who had a little experience so she worked for a year as I trained her, but she gave a weeks notice and moved out of state. I am so overwhelmed and really would like to get 2 groomers so I can do the other things that an owner needs to do. I considered getting a school franchise so I could train groomers and make money at the same time but at my age and with as much work as I already have I decided not to do this. How do you train someone starting from scratch with no experience, and how do you choose the people you can train. What would the curriculum be? How can I ensure I don't waste another year? I am losing a lot of business because no one wants to wait weeks to have their pet groomed. Help!

I gave up long ago trying to find good, reliable groomers. Having to worry that you've booked 8 extra dogs and your groomer doesn't show up is a headache I don't need.

If I were you, I would cull my client list, raise my prices, tell the clients they have to be on a yearly schedule and just work by yourself.

Comment

I am currently having this same issue. I do have 2 amazing groomers who have been with me almost 9 years but with 3 of us grooming, 2 bathers and a receptionist we still can't keep up! We are booked 10 weeks and that is doing 150 dogs per week! I'm thinking about calling one of the grooming schools in the area to see if they might send a new trainee my way. Good luck to you whatever you do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

I am in Washington, PA. We are about 40 minutes from the nearest school, I think that might be some of the problem. No one wants to travel to go to school. I did call both schools and I believe they have signs up for students to call me. I am raising my prices but I would still like to get at least one other groomer. The stress is exhausting.

Comment

I'd kill to have someone train me to groom. I had intended to start at a school 45 miles away but they closed literally a week before I called to enroll. I'd done a walk-through the end of April and spoke to the instructors at length; unfortunately, the owner hadn't relayed to them that she intended to pull the plug on the school the first week of May. I had my own company for 5 years in an unrelated field (the one I left for grooming after 30 years). I know how hard it is to find motivated, teachable. responsible people. I'm all 3 of those things, but I'm in middle Tennessee and I know you are both nowhere near me. Best of luck in your search!
            Last edited by Wondrnthru; 06-05-16, 08:44 PM. Reason: Noted locations of prior posters

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
              I gave up long ago trying to find good, reliable groomers. Having to worry that you've booked 8 extra dogs and your groomer doesn't show up is a headache I don't need.

If I were you, I would cull my client list, raise my prices, tell the clients they have to be on a yearly schedule and just work by yourself.
              This exactly. All of it. I did it, and life is wonderful. Low stress, days filled with rebooking reliable regulars willing to pay fair prices. The additional income I could potentially make with help is not worth the sanity lost over the stress of dealing with it. My phone still blows up, but my voicemail tells people I'm not taking new clients. I keep the business cards of other area groomers handy and give them out to people who drop in instead of fretting about not being able to get to them. Only regrettable thing is I set myself up in a shop with so much room for growth because that was my initial plan, and now I'm not and have so much wasted space for one groomer. I will probably just increase my boarding and do some retail. I'm less concerned with hiring help for these duties.

I would not mind training help from scratch, but I just plain don't have the time to slow down to do it, and besides it seems to be a thing in this area for groomers to train new groomers only to have the newbie leave and hang their own shingle. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Comment

The most basic concept of on the job training is train them to be a bather first, then progress them into an assistant and finally a full charge groomer, all under supervision.

Assistant work varies the most. Perhaps starting with coat removals (not the extreme ones at first though but observing), poodle feet, scissoring pads, neatening feet, deshed, thinning etc, some work with snap ons...and only later patterns, sculpting with clippers and more and more advanced scissoring. But assistants in on the job training usually continue to help with bathing too.
                Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I still don't know what to do. I first have to stop worrying about booking so far in advance and try to get people to book their next appt. when they're leaving. And definitely raise the prices, I am way under the big boxes here so I have a lot of wiggle room. I need to start worrying about me not the customers.

Comment

Working...
                  X