Poodle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poodle

I posted on here a while ago about a poodle I groomed. Today the owners came back and I got to groom him again... I know I'm not very good so obviously it's not perfect, but I'd like some feedback. What looks good, what can be done differently next time?

Thanks!

Here's the link to my other post about the same thing

How did I do?
    http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...ad.php?t=67137

Comment

I think you did MUCH better this time.

Do you have a stand dryer or just a HV dryer?

Tell me your drying technique. We can help you with that and you will get a nicer finish and easier to scissor.

You did MUCH better at getting those stray hairs around the toenails this time....not perfect but sooo much better.
      You also got those hairs in the flews area. The ones that stick out on the bottom jaw when they open their mouth. Good Job!

And Good Job on getting the hair off the table before taking photos.

Can't wait to see the improvements when he comes back the next time!

Comment

Well, his top knot looks better this time. Do you brush as you dry his legs? Looks like need some more fluffing on legs. Like, on the first picture I see "clumps" of hair on front of his thigh and rear bottom of front legs.
        Do you have a stand dryer? Or at least invest in a "third arm" from TableWorks - it allows you to attach dryer hose to the flexible metal arm that you can bend and position to blow air to the spot you will be brushing while freeing both of your hands to brush. Ideally, poodle hair should be straight, no curl. This will give you better finish.

Comment

Much MUCH better than last time. But still definitely room for improvement.

The top knot is much neater than last time, but this time you've gone above the eye line on the top knot. It needs to be level with the eye. Also try to blend that better. There shouldn't be such a marked delineation where it's shaved and where the top knot starts.

Work on your finish drying. I always tell people I teach to groom 80% of your groom is in your bath and blow dry.

Comment

I used a turbo forced air dryer thing & a regular hand dryer for the head and yes I brush as I dry but not when I use the turbo cuz I'm not all that coordinated and the brush usually just flies out of my hand

Comment

Originally posted by dmdogcare View Post
              I used a turbo forced air dryer thing & a regular hand dryer for the head and yes I brush as I dry but not when I use the turbo cuz I'm not all that coordinated and the brush usually just flies out of my hand
              I can't brush and use a HV dryer either....brush flies out of my hand too! You might need a stand dryer or a wall hanging dryer.
              First off, never say you are not very good...you are learning VERY WELL!!!!!
              I do agree with all the above comments on what they saw....and this time was much much better. You are listening to advise given and never get defensive. You will be a very good groomer in the near future....as I said on a different thread, you will develop an eye for what is off.
              Oh, love the pelt hanging down in one pic....looks like a big rat and like it came off in almost one piece.
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                I can't brush and use a HV dryer either....brush flies out of my hand too! You might need a stand dryer or a wall hanging dryer.
                First off, never say you are not very good...you are learning VERY WELL!!!!!
                I do agree with all the above comments on what they saw....and this time was much much better. You are listening to advise given and never get defensive. You will be a very good groomer in the near future....as I said on a different thread, you will develop an eye for what is off.
                Oh, love the pelt hanging down in one pic....looks like a big rat and like it came off in almost one piece.
                I'll look into the stand dryers, but I just spend ~250-300$ on the turbo so I'll have to wait a bit. Any specific ones you recommend?

When I think I'm done with a dog I have to sit down, check my phone, take a pic of the dog, check my phone again, look at the pic then look at the dog to see if anything looks off. Is that weird lol

Thank you haha I'm very proud of that pelt. It came off in basically one shot. The body and both back legs all stayed together. People are fascinated by it and it starts conversations lol

Comment

Originally posted by dmdogcare View Post
                  When I think I'm done with a dog I have to sit down, check my phone, take a pic of the dog, check my phone again, look at the pic then look at the dog to see if anything looks off. Is that weid lol
                  That's a good way to do it, or if you can, let them run around and shake for a little while, so you can see what sticks out and fix it.

And by the way, I agree with Cyn, you are great at asking questions, accepting advice without being offended, and learning fast. You are doing great!

Comment

I agree with everyone you take advice really well and clearly show a desire to improve. I give you major props for that!

Instead of a stand dryer the third arm someone suggested would suffice until then.

Comment

On a budget, I would go with the Third Arm thingy that ABDG suggested.
                      Dry the topnot first.
                      Then the shorter parts of the coat...body, tail.
                      Do legs....do ears last.

I keep a small spray bottle near the table to re-wet areas that dry too fast.

When using the HV dryer without brushing, hold the dryer in one place and sloooowly dry from the skin out. This will straighten the hair, you will see what I mean when you try it.
                      Often times groomers will move the dryer over the coat very fast, almost in a whippy motion. That will dry the coat, but it won't straighten it. Just go slowly and dry from the skin out.

Also, once dog is dry from the HV dryer, run a brush over him again. This will help keep the hair straight.

Comment

I rarely use a stand dryer, though I have a very powerful force dryer that straightens well. You just need to make sure if you force dry most everything that you give it a good brush and comb through afterwards (and make sure they are bone dry when you finish drying them) to fluff and separate the hair.
                        This dog was done strictly using a force dryer (only brushing once dry without the dryer)
                        https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...12&oe=579CDB32

I know a lot of people don't bother with it anymore, but I find I get FAR better results if I back brush/comb while clipping (sometimes I don't bother much with the legs since they'll be getting a good bit of scissoring anyways, but the bodies I virtually always back brush). I think that would help you smooth out the body a bit more.

Comment

I would have shaved the face with a #15...I can see long hair on the pix. Also, I think you took the shave above the corner of the eye on the side view. The face shave should be started at the corner of the eye going towards the ear opening. I also would have shaved down the chest area further down an inch or so.....hard to see on the pix.

When doing the top knot.....make sure you position your table low enough, so you are looking down upon the dog's head....comb hair forward, then with your curved scissors, make a circular cut around the front of the eyes to the ears......raise the table a little.....comb the hair up.....do a rough cut with the scissors, comb up, do another cut, shaping the head....continue doing this until you get the right length. Over each ear, reverse your curved scissors and do a straight line cut from front to back of the ear....making a little "wall" that shapes and stops the top knot from blending into the top of the ear, (designates the border between ear and top knot).

I'm mobile, so I don't have/use a stand dryer, the HV works just as well. I would have taken the body down shorter...using maybe a 3/8" snap on for the body....1/2" snap on the legs, then finish with scissor trimming the legs for "outies" and above the feet.

Make sure you go to a grooming expo this summer so you can see all this in real life.......also purchase a Jodi Murphy or Jay Scugg's pet poodle grooming DVD.

Happy improving

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
                            On a budget, I would go with the Third Arm thingy that ABDG suggested.
                            Dry the topnot first.
                            Then the shorter parts of the coat...body, tail.
                            Do legs....do ears last.
                            Why that order?

Comment

Good advice, thanks dolly

Comment

Working...
                              X