K9 II dryer hose too hot to handle!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K9 II dryer hose too hot to handle!!!

I have used a k9 II dyer for years at corporate so when I went out on mien in December and bought my first dryer I immediately purchased the k9II. However, I am having a really hard time with this one. When I'm drying the big hairys the hose from the dryer literally gets too hot to handle before I'm done. So much so that I have to wrap a damp hand towel around it to keep from burning myself. I talked to my mentor who told me she had the same problem with the k9 she recently bought. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had that problem with the same dryer while in grooming school. Hoses would get hot enough to raise welts on skin if touched. I would (used to) wrap a hand towel around the hose and duct tape it tight in place to save my hand.

Comment

Ours get very hot in our vans since the ambient air temp in the back can be over 115 degrees in the summer. My groomers have to wear gloves and hold the nozzle much further away from the coat. In my shop, the K9 will get hot but only after drying an extended period on a big hairy. Taking the nozzle off helps reduce the heat I noticed.

Comment

Isn't there something they can do about that. Seems a liability.

Comment

Happens to me to. I run it under cold water for a moment, makes it comfortable enough to hold again. I don't find it happens on the average dog... just the shaggy beasties.

Comment

Exactly... Doesn't happen on small dogs. Just the big hairy ones. Large dogs that get a shedless, shelties with a lot of undercoat, etc. I'm gonna try calling them today and see what they say. If I have to wear gloves I will, but it just doesn't seem like it should get THAT hot...

Comment

Since I rarely use both motors it isn't usually a problem. When I do, it can get really really hot, but as long as I hold it by the harder plastic at the end, it isn't too hot to handle.

Comment

I also noticed since the company changed the hose from a reinforced rubber coil hose to a 100% plastic hose now available, the plastic one gets hotter. It may hold up better than the rubber which was known to blow open over time.

Comment

Mine also gets very hot. I use a happy hoodie around the nozzle to protect my hand. I placed the dryer on the outside of the room with the hose going through the wall and this does keep it cooler. You need to clean the filters very regularly too. That makes a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                    I also noticed since the company changed the hose from a reinforced rubber coil hose to a 100% plastic hose now available, the plastic one gets hotter. It may hold up better than the rubber which was known to blow open over time.
                    I noticed that too. Plastic does get much hotter than rubber.

Comment

Must be someway to design it not to get so hot. What if there was a double layer of plastic like a hollow space between layers. Sort of like double pane windows.

Comment

Originally posted by absolutebichon View Post
                        Must be someway to design it not to get so hot. What if there was a double layer of plastic like a hollow space between layers. Sort of like double pane windows.
                        Hose would be too big to handle and I couldn't imagine the cost. As it is, it's $40. I think the problem is the back pressure caused by the cone nozzle. It's restricting the air flow, thus heating the hose. This past weekend I dried a big Sami and once the nozzle came off, it cooled down slightly.

Comment

My husband went and bought me a pair of small mechanics gloves and they work wonders. I talked to one of the guys with k9 and he told me that the #1 cause for the heat is the temperature that the dryer is in. My dryer is behind the back wall in my trailer and even though it's always left vented it gets pretty hot back there.

Comment

I have a lot better luck if I force dry a little and brush a lot! My entire shop heats up if I run the HV very long. When it heats up ... turn it off. Just my observation!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                              I agree, I never had that issue with the original rubber hose on my dryer, but the replacement plastic hose gets very hot and leaves red patches on my arm.

Comment

Working...
                              X