Why did you become a groomer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did you become a groomer?

Yea a new customer asked me that today. I think she had a real interest or was she just checking me out. Fair is fair, and I told her I loved pets, animals anything furry and I love makeovers and the happiness. She giggled and said what do you suggest with her new adoption a mostly possibly maybe who knows shih poo maltese. Anyway, no one as asked me this for years. Anyone want to share what you say?

Same for me....my love of animals & also having a career that did not feel like a job. I love going to my little shop every day, operating my business the way I want & building my customer base with such awesome people & pets. I am coming up on my 2nd year in this wonderful business & God willing, I hope to be affiliated with grooming until it's time for to meet my Furry kids, family & friends at the Rainbow Bridge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My mother gave me the first idea without saying what occupation. She said I always got along great for animals and they would come to me easily as a kid. We had lots of pets and I loved taking care of them and one day she said work with animals, you got what it takes. I loved seeing people walking beautiful dogs and the breed dogs show and it just hit. Make em pretty.

Comment

My husband and I are both biologists and we had a consulting company in California, doing biological reports for house builders, but when the economy took a dive we had to close our business and move to Arizona, where we had our "vacation" house. My husband retired, but I was not ready, so I went to grooming school (because I always loved dogs, and grew up with dogs - I had miniature poodle and bedlington growing up; and we groomed them with just scissors, no clippers, can you imagine). I was hired by PetCo after school and worked there for 3,5 years, but it was a long drive so I decided to go on my own, so now I have my own salon, working with my husband again.

Comment

Back in 1987, my boyfriend purchased a wire-haired mini dachshund puppy for me. Two months later, I jolted straight up out of bed and said, "how am I going to groom this dog?" I immediately went downstairs and ed through the Yellow Pages and, instead of stopping on "grooming salons".......I put my finger on "grooming school". I called that day and signed up, putting in 300 hrs on Saturdays. After spending $3K on the school, I said to myself, why not groom the neighbor's dogs to pay back this tuition cost......the rest is history. I never thought of being a groomer until little Sasha came into my life, I doubt if anyone in the world would think about signing up for grooming school because you own a wire-haired mini dachshund !! I groomed evenings and weekends until I retired from my job at the hospital in 2007, then I went mobile full time.

Happy getting a mini dachshund

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Was 'downsized' at 55 without warning , in an area that worships youth. As I was cleaning out my desk and trying to think I went back to my youth and wanting to be a vet. In the car driving home it was an epiphany --- vet tech or groomer!!! Just then the gray skies broke and the rainbow formed in front of me. Sounds corny but I took it as a sign. Went to Merryfield the next day to check it out and research my options. Rest is history ( for me).
            While I enjoyed the things is done prior - gov't , teaching/ developing schools- and appreciate the experiences they brought my way IV never been more content then when going to work each day now. I smile more.

Comment

I was going to college in second year and one day realized that college was not taking to me any passion. My passion was animals, not a vet. I talked to my groomer then and she let me spend a day with her and I got some weekend work as a bather while still in college. I was hooked.

Comment

I thought about being a handler after showing dogs for some years but didn't want to travel, and it hit me. Groom.
                Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Comment

I always loved animals as a kid but I was 14, I realized being a vet isn't always save pets (a doctor would never put down one of his patients because someone decided he's annoying..) and I could not handle see dying pets!
                  So as I also had a lot of creativity and like to work with my hands, I found out being a groomer would be a perfect job for me
                  Since school, grooming became a passion !

Comment

In my day women weren't allowed in vet school. Yes! I'm THAT Old! Grin!

I didn't want to do any of the other jobs typically available to women at the time.

I did start showing dogs at a young age and got into grooming that way. I thought I might want to be a handler and then decided against that.

I happened to work for a vet as a kennel girl in my late teens. Learned most of the vet tech stuff. Then they started requiring a license for that.
                    I already had groomed long enough to know I would make more money grooming then working for a vet.

So opened my shop a few years later and haven't looked back. It's been 35 years and the only thing I'm tired of is doing quarterly taxes. Ugh!

40 years total in this industry and I still love going to work each day

Comment

I was 19, had moved home from Phoenix and my older groomer friend said a bather was needed at one of their family shops so I went in that day. A few months later with my dry cracking hands and arms I told her I was going to work at the local CD shop, and she offered to train me, so I stayed to learn, was left on my own (only groomer in the shop) shortly after, so my beginnings were a little stressful. It has been 14 years I have worked in 5 different shops, last year I realized I don't want to deal with everyone else's stuff anymore, and opened up Shaggy To Chic. I absolutely love love love it. No more dealing with others stealing money, no more cold case files, and Jerry Springer blaring in my ear. I make my own schedule and walk to work. I have amazing clients/friends with amazing dogs and, I get to enjoy them,instead of rushing all the time, I get to give my own shop a good name, its beautiful! I think God put me in grooming because He knew I'd be good at it, it has blessed me so much! Thank You God!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Comment

You know when you love something and just have to do it.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                          X