Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PetSomething test groom

Hi everybody!

I am a newbie *hopefully* on the verge of getting her first paying job. I have been approved by Petsomething and I just have to do a test dog now. I graduated in 2013 from a 900 hour grooming program. I also took on an internship/bathing position from January to May. Unfortunately I didn't do much scissor work during that time, and it's been since I graduated school that I have been consistently doing full grooms.

I have been watching videos like crazy on the Learn2GroomDogs website, however I am still a bit nervous. I do not have any dogs I can practice on, unfortunately.

Does anyone have any advice for someone going into a test groom? Any other resources I should be looking at?

Originally posted by MortandMeowrielsMama View Post
    Hi everybody!

I am a newbie *hopefully* on the verge of getting her first paying job. I have been approved by Petsomething and I just have to do a test dog now. I graduated in 2013 from a 900 hour grooming program. I also took on an internship/bathing position from January to May. Unfortunately I didn't do much scissor work during that time, and it's been since I graduated school that I have been consistently doing full grooms.

I have been watching videos like crazy on the Learn2GroomDogs website, however I am still a bit nervous. I do not have any dogs I can practice on, unfortunately.

Does anyone have any advice for someone going into a test groom? Any other resources I should be looking at?
    I work for corporate, and manage a shop and have judged exam grooms for external hires.

Unless worked out beforehand, I/we would require you to bring your own dog. We are not allowed to have you work on a client dog. If you are really lucky, an employee may own a dog that fits the requirements and allow you to do it, but you are supposed to do your own. It is supposed to be a breed standard dog, but depending on the leniency of the person examing you, I have allowed pet cuts with scissored legs to exam, just no shave dogs/one-length-all-over dogs. I have a pretty standard chart to judge off of. The dog is supposed to be prepped in the salon (although check with the shop), because I am supposed to judge washing/prepping proficiency. Bringing your dog in good condition obviously brings a good first impression, but I'm still supposed to judge pad shaving, etc, and other pre-work.

The groom itself is pretty straightforward, and you'll probably be passed even if you're slow/cautious. We know that nerves play a part. Put out a clean looking groom, do a really good wash and prep, don't make any silly mistakes like leaving eye hair/untidy tuck up, messy visor. Be calm and safe- don't leave tools on your table, or turn your back to your dog. Even if the groom isn't perfect, you can be passed into a probationary/supervised period before being a full-fledged groomer. Good luck. When is it?

Comment

The Petsomethings around here provide the dog, but it will always be a breed clip or scissor all over dog.

Comment

I've been at a corp for a while too, and have seen a few technicals done. Mostly, groom to your safest standards, and don't put any of your tools on the grooming table. If you're trying for the same corp I'm at there's going to be a Hydrosurge bathing system, which they should tell you how to use if you've not before. The technical is not just to see if you can groom, but also how you handle the dog and the salon environment. Oh, and make sure to bring all the tools you will need, as it doesn't reflect well on you to have to borrow things to complete a basic groom

Comment

Thank you all for the replies!! As far as timing goes, hopefully within the next week or so. I am just waiting on the background check to clear. It sounds like there is someone on staff that will let me use their dog thankfully. I pride myself on safety, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Hopefully this went well if it went, let us know.

Comment

Working...
            X