Dog SUPER itchy after groom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog SUPER itchy after groom?

I almost didn't post this, because I thought I had it handled, but the thread on nicking dogs prompted me to post this to get your input. I think I know the problem, but want some opinions.

2 of my groomers tend to get this one shih tzu back and forth. Owners let him get pretty grown out, then have them strip him with a 7f (short round head) and he usually isn't matted, if so not much. Well, the last time he came in, they wanted him shaved shorter so that "the groom lasts longer". The groomer talked to them about how we usually don't recommend shaving with a 10 blade but they insisted so she did it. This dog also doesn't get any special shampoos, just a basic with tearless shampoo. Client always says no when we ask if any allergies or skin/health concerns.

The client called a couple days later and told the groomer that did him he was very itchy and is scratching himself so bad he is getting sores on him. Now, I didn't have a conversation with this client, so I asked the groomer to tell me more of what happened. She basically said that her and the client decided the 10 is too short and the "stubbly hair" makes him itch. The client went on to say that even with the 7f, the dog was always itchy after, sometimes scratching himself a little raw, it was just way worse this time. The groomer told her that they would just do longer and longer cuts until it didn't make the dog itch anymore. She said she offered to do a different shampoo next time but the client refused to spend extra money on a soothing or anti-itch shampoo. The client has never said the dog has any allergies or skin/health issues (we ask every time), and this is the first time she mentioned the dog being itchy after every groom.

My question is, what do you think is the actual culprit here on why this dog is so itchy after every groom, but was worse this time? I told her I didn't think doing a 5f or 4f would make any difference here, that they need to do the better shampoo if the dog has sensitive skin, and maybe use a guard comb. The more I thought about it though, the more I think, maybe there is something else wrong with the WAY the dog is being groomed. Both groomers preshave a lot of their dogs, something I almost never do anymore. Maybe dull blades are a culprit since their 7f and 10 blades are used most often on dirty coats. The sharpener did come in within the past couple weeks, but I don't know what they got done. What would be your guess on why this dog is super itchy after the groom?

I had one dog in all these years that no matter what I did, she was always itchy afterward. Super nice and not a PITA client; if she said the dog was itchy, I am certain it was a valid complaint. She had no history of allergies or skin infections or other weirdness. I did every hypo shampoo, extra extra rinsing, conditioner, no conditioner, no cologne, even no bandana, comb attachments instead of blades, longer trims, just everything I could imagine including brainstorming with the vet. I could not figure out how the itching stopped as soon as the owner washed her in whatever dish soap she had around. I always blow dogs off with the blower when I'm done grooming just to get off any loose hairs and to look for sticky outies. In what was finally a duh moment, I figured if washing the dog in whatever after the groom worked at home, it would probably work for me. And it did. For whatever reason, blowing loose hairs off the dog didn't help, but completely rewashing her before she went home did. Fortunately, it was just a Peke in a fairly short trim, and it turned out that just rinsing her down really well after the groom was adequate. A surprising amount of loose hair still came off despite any carding and thorough brushing. I guess she must have still had clipped hairs burrowing in and itching her. I even use a Clipper Vac. Whatever. For whatever weird reason, a final rinse did the trick. No more itchies.

So for whatever reason, I know of at least one dog that had to be completely rinsed off after the groom. No amount of prepping made any difference, and neither did any specific products.

All that said, I think I still might try to go a little longer than 7f just to see and/or use combs. Definitely no more 10. I would also make sure I'm using a hypo product and doubling down on the rinse. I would also ditch any cologne for this dog. I'm not understanding; are you saying there's an extra charge for that that they don't want to pay? I don't charge extra for hypo, so maybe I'm not understanding. Even though the groomers pre clip, they still go back over afterward, right? So a final rinse off might not hurt.

Comment

I'm sorry, but.........I believe that it is the responsibility of the owner of the salon/mobile to accommodate and please their clients....and charging extra for a certain type of shampoo, when they all cost about the same to us, is just wrong. If the dog needs medicated shampoo, or any other type, then you should automatically bath the dog in it, and not haggle over charging the client. By doing this, you may have helped the dog from his scratching, and you would have "locked in" the client's loyalty to you. Honestly, this nickel- diming a client over shampoo makes my head spin. You see, I go to the grooming expo's.......and the shampoo's cost all is within pennies of each other. Set your grooming prices so that you cover that 2 cents worth of extra medicated, hypo, whitening, dematting, degreasing, flea and tick, oatmeal. etc shampoos and do whatever that dog needs to live in comfort after the groom.

Happy adjusting your charges

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Probably not the shampoo. If I shave my head down with a 10, I get itchy also.

Comment

I had a Morkie that needed a rerinse after the groom to eliminate the short prickly hairs. Seemed to work for her. It could also be the short blade length irritating the dogs skin. May also be systemic itching because they feed the cheapest dog food loaded with corn and cheap fillers which are a food allergin to the dog. IMO, since they seem to want to save money on grooms by scalping their dog as short as possible, my first guess would be cheap food. Have you asked what they feed him?

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
            I'm sorry, but.........I believe that it is the responsibility of the owner of the salon/mobile to accommodate and please their clients....and charging extra for a certain type of shampoo, when they all cost about the same to us, is just wrong. If the dog needs medicated shampoo, or any other type, then you should automatically bath the dog in it, and not haggle over charging the client.
            Dolly, if kaida works at corporate store, she has to charge for every little thing beyond basic shampoo. You will be in big trouble if Big Bosses find out that you giving extras every time without charging appropriately (I think in some stores, depending on the manager, you could get people to try better shampoo without charge so they can see the difference; of course, it is not advertised and the upper management should never learn about that?). I completely agree with you, that ideally, groom should include everything the dog needs, but it is not so in corporate stores.(and that's what I have to explain to customers sometimes when they say I charge more than local PetSmart, that PS price they are comparing me to only includes basic shampoo, if they add "upgraded" shampoo, conditioner and nail dremeling, I will end up being cheaper).

Comment

Kaida, I am not sure if I worked at the same Corp. you are in, but when I worked there, I had three different dogs the owners said were itching after DoggoneClean shampoo. So, I switched them to Espree Aloe Oatbath and it fixed the itching (and the owners did pay extra for an upgraded shampoo). Maybe you can try just one time to use hypo shampoo at no charge with an understanding that if itching stops after this shampoo, there will be extra charge in the future?

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Long post already.

Totally Clips: I apologize, thet basic tearless shampoo I am talking about is a hypo shampoo. Very mild, no added fragrance, etc. This is the shampoo that comes with every bath/groom. I don't believe this dog gets cologne, but we have already noted no sprays just in case. The rinse off after may be an idea. I will bring it up to the groomer and see if it helps, thank you.

Dolly: I work for a corp. Maybe I should start mentioning that in the beginning of posts like this. There is absolutely nothing I can do about the added charge for what our company considers a "custom" or "upgraded" shampoo. Trust me, I hear what you are saying about charging for it, but that is so far out of my hands I cannot argue it. As much as I would love to charge more for every groom and give them whatever shampoo, conditioner, and upgrades they need, it will never happen where I am.

The 10 is completely out of the question, it will never happen for this dog again, don't worry. We will try guard combs, and rinsing after the groom for this one. See what helps. I understand a certain degree of itching after being shaved, but so bad that the dog is tearing his skin up just is unacceptable. Which is why I am trying to fix the problem next time we see the dog.

Comment

Wild4westies: His food should be listed on file, I will be checking but agree that with the type of person to "make grooms last longer" I can't expect anything pricey for food either.

ABDG: Thank you. And yes, same one. The Aloe Oatbath will be tried if they do not agree to charge, but if it works, and they still don't want to pay for it (rarely happens, but some people are stubborn sometimes), that's where is gets hard.

Comment

I had used doggone for years no problem ever. But do agree with rerinse upon completion.

Comment

I would try pre brushing the dog before the bath or pre shave, that way the shampoo can do its job better. I'm imagining this could be a case of clogged pores? The only other thing i Can think of is either clipper coolant or cage disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                        I'm sorry, but.........I believe that it is the responsibility of the owner of the salon/mobile to accommodate and please their clients....and charging extra for a certain type of shampoo, when they all cost about the same to us, is just wrong. If the dog needs medicated shampoo, or any other type, then you should automatically bath the dog in it, and not haggle over charging the client. By doing this, you may have helped the dog from his scratching, and you would have "locked in" the client's loyalty to you. Honestly, this nickel- diming a client over shampoo makes my head spin. You see, I go to the grooming expo's.......and the shampoo's cost all is within pennies of each other. Set your grooming prices so that you cover that 2 cents worth of extra medicated, hypo, whitening, dematting, degreasing, flea and tick, oatmeal. etc shampoos and do whatever that dog needs to live in comfort after the groom.

Happy adjusting your charges

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
                        Agree with Dolly and it is one thing to sell an add-on spa treatment, but with every groom should come a shampoo that works for that dog. I would even go so far as to use a mud bath at no additional charge (since it already replaces regular shampoo and conditioner) for a good client I want to keep. The little extra cost is worth it to keep a regular client happy. By the way we had a super itchy dog that we actually do use the Sooth Madra bath and it worked great, and though it might not make any difference we don't do shorter than 7's.

Comment

Working...
                        X