motivating employees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motivating employees

I am a grooming salon manager. I need help with how to I motivate employees to work towards meeting our sales plan. I need to be able to give them reasons why meeting the stores sales plan will benefit them. Any suggestions would be a big help!!

Also a salon manager. Motivation can be hard sometimes, I know. But your question is very vague on this. Think of why YOU want to reach the goal and use that to tell them what they need to do. Hopefully your employees want to make money, so initially motivate them with that. If you are not reaching budget, you are not being productive, and you are not making as much money as your potential. If you are in corporate, talk to your store manager on how you should communicate your expectations to the team.

Comment

It is for most more difficult in the corporate environment. As you can see in my family's book, From Problems to Profits in Pet Grooming, all grooming positions signed a job description, and some an additional job agreement, stating a RANGE of how many they were expected to groom a day (P/T or F/T). The range was largely based on size, condition and style of the pets they groomed which we all know can vary from day to day. It was always a reasonable quota, in fact some today still tell us our quotas were modest. We did not need to motivate employees. Those that wanted to go to an assistant to full charge groomer with on the job training found that very motivating and we would not give them the chance if they had records indicating excessive absences, tardiness or low productivity issues. We simply expected them to comply with the agreements they signed, and all that paperwork they signed meet state employment laws...so we had very few issues with "intentional slowdowns" as it was dealt with immediately and reminded them of what they had signed if need be.

Commission based wages were introduced by some who thought that would motivate groomers to do more. Well it can with some but it is no absolute. Just the opposite has happened and mentioned by many over the years on this board. "I don't feel much like grooming today," and since on commission they feel they have no quota to meet, especially when not having signed a productivity range agreement.

So I gather in your corporate environment are there any productivity requirements stated in job descriptions etc?

Having to put a carrot on stick in front of groomers to groom is a very wearing way of having to manage groomers. It just makes sense for both sides to agree on a reason quota range suited to the skills and performance of the individual groomer, and then to monitor that they are meeting their agreements. Simple. No grief on either side.

Comment

Thank you. I will have to read your book. I do work in a corporate store. Problem is I have 3 newer groomers that are basically at 4 to 5 dogs a day. I do have a few that are motivated by making more money but some just arent. They are happy with making a certain amount and thats it. Im trying to find a way to tell them why meeting the sales plan for our salon will help them. Ive had them say it doesnt matter to me if we meet sales plan or not , I'm not getting a bonus. Actually if they would all do 5 dogs a day on a regular basis we would easily meet plan. Ill hear oh well we had a slow start to the week. meaning there are days they only do 2 or 3 dogs. There are no requirements other than they have to commission out. Which means making more than their hourly rate which isnt higher than $9.00 an hour. so if they make $400 a week they commission. thats about 18 dogs a week i need them at 25 a week, i do about 35 to 40.

Comment

The problem is some are motivated by $$. Others are happy with making a certain amount and thats it. If I thought the store manager would have any luck talking to them I would ask him but they do respond to me when I get them going. Its a lot to keep that up everyday. If there were some reason I could give them that making sales benefits them I think it would get all of them more involved.

Comment

I went through that phase of motivating groomers, and forget it, they come to work here or not. Of course I am not corp, different thing. Now think about it, I don't have to do anything to motivate bathers, they work by the hour and get paid way more than minimum wage. If there is a problem it is usually groomers so I am glad I only have one other groomer and 3 bathers, and with only one groomer no problem, I have a good one who doesn't need it.

Comment

As a previous manager at corporate I want to wish you luck. The truth is... There is no benefit to them killing themselves to meet the corporate sales plan. If they're new groomers and are only comfortable doing 4-5 grooms a day pushing them to do more is only going to hurt your salon. They are going to get overwhelmed and stressed out , accidents are going to happen, etc. For some of them the extra money is going to be benefit enough and they'll get faster and become capable of doing more. The best thing you can do is keep a positive atmosphere in your salon. When they do meet sales or come close to it make a big deal out of it. Let them know that they're helping build the reputation and success of the salon. It helps them feel like they're a part of the improvements. It's tough though, one of the biggest complaints we had at my chain from the salon managers was that even if we busted our butts in the salon and made all of our numbers we never got rewarded for it. Even the salon managers didn't get a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If they aren't able to comfortably do more dogs in a day, then I start coaching them on selling extra services. For instance, if package one is $xx and package 2 is 22 more, for better shampoo conditioner etc, they end up with 11 extra dollars per dog that gets package 2. Maybe 5 extra minutes of work, and if 3 dogs get it it's an extra 33 in their daily commission.
                I also go out of my way to make sure they're charging for services provided, like extra shave/brush out time, dematting, and nail buffing. All low-cost items (at least at my Corp) but they add up over the week

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andromedaslove View Post
                  As a previous manager at corporate I want to wish you luck. The truth is... There is no benefit to them killing themselves to meet the corporate sales plan. If they're new groomers and are only comfortable doing 4-5 grooms a day pushing them to do more is only going to hurt your salon. They are going to get overwhelmed and stressed out , accidents are going to happen, etc. For some of them the extra money is going to be benefit enough and they'll get faster and become capable of doing more. The best thing you can do is keep a positive atmosphere in your salon. When they do meet sales or come close to it make a big deal out of it. Let them know that they're helping build the reputation and success of the salon. It helps them feel like they're a part of the improvements. It's tough though, one of the biggest complaints we had at my chain from the salon managers was that even if we busted our butts in the salon and made all of our numbers we never got rewarded for it. Even the salon managers didn't get a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Completely agree!! Yes, I want to make more money both for myself and the company so our store gets rewarded but at what cost? Being a new groomer trying push the dogs out I think is either going to sacrifice quality or risk injury. I attempted to go go go. More dogs, as fast as I can go. I ended up hating my job and hating the customers. And guess what. No rewards where seen in our store. What we got was Corp asking us for more!!!!

We try to up sell now rather then push push push quantity. But sometimes that's hard especially in an area of low income. The prices were raised a few bucks a month ago just on the basic bath and groom price. Managers are having to deal with complaints just with that now. It's no fault of any of ours. But it is what it is.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Throw a contest. Get your manager involved and see what they think. Make it fun to say how many spa upgrades can you sell? Keep a small dry erase board to keep score and show who is ahead and what the "high score" is to beat. New groomers don't have to rush and add more dogs too fast, but add ons and spa upgrades make more money for the groomer and for the company, with very little added time to the groom. Talk to your manager to see if you can give the top selling associate any kind of prize or perk. Some corp stores you can at the very least give them official recognition that goes up to your district manager too. Maybe that kind of recognition would help.

Comment

I don't do anything special to motivate my employees but I do surprise them with a pizza and drinks occasionally. I make nearly all the grooming assignments much like from problems book so they know what they have to groom and what I expect. So if they didn't groom the assignment that is a problem. I am fair and equal, but the key to our smooth operation is making the grooming assignments. They know I am aware of what they are doing, what I expect, and they deliver...we have no issues, and so I don't have to motivate them but run a busy popular shop.

Comment

Working...
                      X