Clipper burn???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipper burn???

Been grooming quite some time and had a interesting conversation with a client. She had brought her dogs to us approx 5 days prior, and one was very matted and had to have a short clip. We use a clipper vac system, and absolutely no problems from either dog groomed.

When the client came in 5 days later she stated her dog had been hiding under a chair and shaking/shivering and acting weird, so she took the dog to the vet. The client equated the shaking/shivering to mean the dog was in extreme pain. There was no redness anywhere, no scabs, etc and the client confirmed this observation, but her vet (who doesn't have the greatest reputation) told her it was clipper burn, gave the dog a steroid shot, and there you go. She brought the dog by, and two of us looked her over and didn't see a mark on her

Has anyone else ever had this type of 'clipper burn' or does it just sound as though the dog was chilled or weirded out about the short haircut. Client is 'unique' individual, and just trying to make sure I didn't miss something

No redness, no marks, no scratching. No clipper burn. Shame on that vet. Sounds like the dog was just feeling weird about being shaved-feeling air on his skin for the first time in awhile. He may have even been embarrassed about being 'naked'.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Yep. There is documentation that some dogs undergoing a strip from bring matted can undergo a 'personality change', skin to embarrassment. A lot of it can depend on how the owner(s) react to the newly shaved pet.

Can cite familial experience to support. Family's bichon was shaved off by a 'I can only do one type of cut ' groomer many years back. Our mother was livid and went in a tirade every time she looked at the dog. Poor thing took to hiding under furniture and beds until fur started growing back in -roughly three weeks. She'd still run to hide every time our mother started on the story.

Comment

Goodness, my own Standard Poodle (RIP) used to get weirded out when I buzzed him down for summer after being in a thicker coat all winter. For 14 years, he did this. I know his skin was not damaged, and I know he was not traumatized during the groom. I was there! But still, I always had to put a shirt on him for a few days until he got over his new state of vulnerability or whatever he was going through. Heck, my own head always feels weird after going really short from having longer hair. There is a period of adjustment even though I have the cognitive ability to know what's going on. Still feels weird.

If there was no visible skin trauma, I would be inclined to call bullcookies.

Comment

The vet may have been trying to get the owner out of his or her hair by just agreeing to whatever the owner said. I wouldn't assume that what she is saying matches up with what the vet said or what the vet believes
          If the dog was very matted, the dog could be generally neglected so might suffer emotional problems due to that, or may be in a home that is chaotic. Chaos can make a pet act funny, just like it does with children. I've found that owners who create a chaotic home are often oblivious to the effects of their own behavior. Just a guess. Anyway, I don't think it's you, unless there your salon is particularly loud or intimidating.

Comment

Certainly no clipper burn. This dog could benefit from one of those thundershirts.

Comment

I have had a dog that felt so much better in his shirt...I agree this is probably what is going on.

Comment

Also, if it is the client who said her vet "told her" the groomer gave the dog a clipper burn, this might be the case of "she heard what she wanted to hear."

Comment

Working...
                X