Plaqclnz irrgator and pneumonia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plaqclnz irrgator and pneumonia?

I've been interested in possibly adding the Plazclnz treatment and products to my shop, so I've been testing it out for the last couple of months on three of my dogs that have really grody teeth (they will be getting dentals this month). Although certainly not an immediate effect, I have seen a gradual reduction of the plaque/tartar on their teeth so I've been happy with it so far. However, last Monday I used the irrigator on my senior girl Melody, which I have already done a number of times. The next day she started coughing. After a few days of getting worse, I brought her in and discovered she has pneumonia. Although I forgot to ask the vet about it (I plan on doing it when she goes for her recheck) I am concerned that she may have aspirated water when I did the rinse and that that may have been the cause of the pneumonia. Obviously I don't want the risk of this happening with clients! Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Possible, but never had that happen. I use the enzyme cream food flavored for my pets now and coat their teeth. They love it.

Comment

I would think you would have to get a lot in the lungs. Now I would make sure I am spraying in the gum lines, and go slow so they have time to handle the liquid, keep the sprayer real clean. I had a dental hygienist that would drown me and that stopped. So less is more maybe?

Comment

I also wanted to ask was it really canine influenza?

Comment

I was sold at last years groom expo west and bought the big kit. It was short lived the irrigator got more water on me than the dogs mouth most dogs don't cooperate to do it right and not enough costumer interest to be worth it. I don't use it at all anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Lions and Tigers View Post
            I also wanted to ask was it really canine influenza?
            No, vet was confident it was pneumonia, and none of the other dogs started coughing.

Comment

I use the enzyme pastes now.

Comment

These products do work over time. Just doing every groom is not going to work so I will see the home product version and even go it here for the groom, but I make it very clear it is about applying daily at home.

Comment

I am curious if the instructions for using the irrigator mention this potential problem and not to apply where they could breathe it in???

Comment

Elderly people are more likely to get pneumonia with water getting into lungs when they start to have problem swallowing accurately. So I wouldn't think most dogs would get water into lungs with spraying plaqclnz in their mouth, and most are not elderly having problems swallowing. Little logic, dunno, but doesn't seem like a common mishap at all.

Comment

We found out today that she has lymphoma, so that was likely a contributing factor.

Comment

Originally posted by BassetNut View Post
                        We found out today that she has lymphoma, so that was likely a contributing factor.
                        Yes, so sad. Lost my golden to that a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X