Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cannot get shi tzu heads or bodies to look right...any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cannot get shi tzu heads or bodies to look right...any tips?

For some reason, I find shi tzu and Lhasa apso hair so difficult to work with. Their heads always look choppy to me and their legs are so knobby it's hard to get a clean look with the clippers. Is there any easy way to groom them? For some reason they are extremely popular here. Please help....it takes me forever to groom one because I am never satisfied with the way they look.

Leave a little more coat. It is much easier to hide ugly legs using a 3 then it is with a 7 or 10! Make liberal use of your thinners or chunkers to smooth out heads.

Comment

Post pictures. What blade(s) are you using? Unless i'm taking them super short, I always scissor the legs. Comb in one direction, scissor. Comb in other direction, scissor.

If you're taking clippers on the head, always clip in the direction the hair grows, which is usually out from the center of the head. Use thinners/blenders to smooth if necessary.

Comment

I like the stainless steel snap on combs, for a nicer finish.

Comment

Debi Hilley has a blog.. Grooming Smarter and a great way to do heads with snap on combs. I usually 2 lengths longer on the head than the body... but then I take a snap on comb 2 numbers or letters bigger than what I did and go reverse on the heads. Makes them nice and round and smooths them out. Then I take thinners and comb, hold the hair in between my fingers, like a hair dresser.. and make sure everything is even.

I hope this helps.. check out Grooming Smarter though.
          Debbie
          There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Groomerdoglover View Post
            For some reason, I find shi tzu and Lhasa apso hair so difficult to work with. Their heads always look choppy to me and their legs are so knobby it's hard to get a clean look with the clippers. Is there any easy way to groom them? For some reason they are extremely popular here. Please help....it takes me forever to groom one because I am never satisfied with the way they look.
            #7 body #2soc head, reverse brush before scissoring. Those breeds are my fave, easy $

Comment

Originally posted by DogGamut View Post
              #7 body #2soc head, reverse brush before scissoring. Those breeds are my fave, easy $
              This would be a cute clip....but what if the client wants it longer or shorter?
              Shih's are very popular breed here as well but some get breed grooms and some just fluffy and some shaved a/o.
              Op, go to Debi's blog and learn to use your clipper combs for TBH's, it will save you tons of time and they just need a bit of blending to finish.
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Are you positive you're getting the faces clean enough? If you're using snap on combs and thinners, and the hair is clean, the hair should be able to fall in the right places and look nice.

Post some pics so we can better help
                amanda
                ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

Comment

I video'd myself grooming the head on soft straight coat type.. Even though it's a Asian style you can learn from the technique...http://www.canadiangroomingdistribut...-to-with-video

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                    This would be a cute clip....but what if the client wants it longer or shorter?
                    Shih's are very popular breed here as well but some get breed grooms and some just fluffy and some shaved a/o.
                    Op, go to Debi's blog and learn to use your clipper combs for TBH's, it will save you tons of time and they just need a bit of blending to finish.

Great question, If the client wants shorter I reverse the #7 or use a #10 (Im using andis blades) and break out a #4 blade for the head, and use shears for blending the size of the head down to match the body. For longer I use a 5, and a 1 comb (or 0) I have used a 6 but i Like 5, any longer #2 on the body with a 0 comb head, all the way to 0 on the body and A on the head. It's hot where I live and people think brushes give you ebola so I rarely do anything other than a #7 summer cut with a #2 teddy face

Comment

Thanks for the video on MIcky Mouse ears, Itza. I hated reading the dog was lost on the vets table the next day.
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                      X