first irate call back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first irate call back

So this afternoon, after a crazy busy day, I get a call from an owner of a goldendoodle groomed on Wednesday. He didn't curse, but he may was well have. Very unhappy with the quality of the cut. I stayed calm and finally told him I'd refund his money and he could find another groomer. Well, he wasn't happy with that, and finally, his phone cut out and I lost the call. So I go to email him since after said dropped call, he turned his phone off (maybe it died) As I'm typing away, his wife calls, and apologizes for his outburst and rudeness to me. I say it's ok, no big deal, but I feel most comfortable with a refund. She refuses, stating that (and this is the reason he's so unhappy) she specifically asked me for a much shorter clip this time and she knew fully well what that meant and what the dog would look like. I said, ok if that's how you feel, I respect your decision to turn down a refund.

I DID let a different groomer do the dog that day. BUT I thoroughly inspected the dog when she finished, and everything looked nice, smooth, and even. The only difference was the dog got a 5 instead of a 1 soc.

Ugh, now I have a dilemma on my hands...this is not the first issue I've had with these people. They stopped coming a while back bc the man didn't like my assistant. Had nothing to do with the actual groom. She didn't smile big enough apparently. I let them back, no problem. But now, after his rudeness and the fact that he wasn't happy, I really don't think I want to deal with this again. I would have been more satisfied giving a refund, and politely telling them that I am not the best fit for the dog. Plus,, I feel like now, I'm going to have all this animosity toward him.

Let it go! You can't get in the middle of a man and wife disagreement over the dogs groom. Wife told you shorter..those were your directions and what you did. Keep doing the dog, he probably won't pick up or drop off unless he "has to". Kudos to the wife for refusing your refund as you did what she told you to do....many would (and have) lied to their spouse and TRIED to let the groomer take the hit for doing as told.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it right now. See what happens in the future but I would say three strikes and you're out. We clearly just aren't the groomer for you if something else happens.

Nice wife.

Comment

Let it go... Yeah, that's what I was thinking. See how it plays out. And yeah, the wife was the saving grace. Sounded like she's had to do damage control in the past. Maybe I just have a low tolerance for rudeness, the husband just really got to me I guess. (I know not professional...but seriously, if his phone hadn't cut out, and she didn't call back minutes later, I think I was about to tell him where he could stick it. So I learned a good lesson in being calm and patient.) this seriously is the first time I've dealt with something like this on my own and at my own shop. Looking back now, I'm really glad I didn't return his nastiness. No way to handle clients. Period. Oh the joys of being the person in charge!

Comment

I hate that, when one wants one thing and the other wants something else.
          I have a dog I groom where if the husband sneaks the dog in (and literally he will tell me that he needs to get the dog groomed at this time because then his wife will have already left for work so she won't know he's brining the dog in) the dog gets a long teddy bear. If the wife sneaks the dog in it gets a 5 kennel clip. Thankfully they never get unhappy with me for doing what each person wants, but it's weird to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
            I wouldn't sweat it right now. See what happens in the future but I would say three strikes and you're out. We clearly just aren't the groomer for you if something else happens.

Nice wife.
            Totally agree.

Comment

When there is a big switch in a grooms I sort of ask is everyone at home copacetic with the changes. No won't prevent all problems but I have stopped a couple, well I thought I would surprise the wife...oh no...don't surprise the wives with styles.

Comment

Originally posted by MysticRealm View Post
                I hate that, when one wants one thing and the other wants something else.
                I have a dog I groom where if the husband sneaks the dog in (and literally he will tell me that he needs to get the dog groomed at this time because then his wife will have already left for work so she won't know he's brining the dog in) the dog gets a long teddy bear. If the wife sneaks the dog in it gets a 5 kennel clip. Thankfully they never get unhappy with me for doing what each person wants, but it's weird to deal with.
                I have a standard poodle family just like that. If the wife give me the dog it's a 4 all over, if the husband gives me the dog, it's a four with A comb legs. Wife says take the ears short if it's easier (they are always matted) husband says no way, I love the long ears. I do leave the ears, but am happy to comply with the 4/AO so much easier!

Comment

So awkward! Maybe make a "request" that he isn't involved. Either she gets it and agrees, or takes his side and goes elsewhere? You shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable.

I have a single guy that's been coming to me with a Bichon that gets a nice lamb cut. So one day this lady (new girlfriend), that I've never seen or met before, comes in to drop off. Tells me she was very unhappy with the last groom, and then lists the very specific things SHE wants done. Super rude, but whatever. Luckily he picked up, so I made sure to "apologize" about the last groom, and that I hope SHE likes what I did THIS time. Have never seen her since, but on the very next groom he made a point to say "the usual cut- you do such a good job".

Comment

Same thing just happened to my shop, - except hubby to be threw us under the bus. I guess bridezilla was unhappy with the groom 10 weeks from the actual wedding date. Really not looking forward to the next grooming appointment, but- I will get instructions in writing with a signature. No backing out of that one

Comment

We get so many customers like this. Wife wants one thing husband wants another. Or they send their children who then give us grooming instructions. Depending on how they feel that day someone usually comes back hollering for a refund. Even though we did what was asked upon drop off. Gets tiring.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

funny this thread has popped back up.

About a month after the incident, the dad called me to apologize. I said it's ok, but in the future, lets try not to let things escalate like that! he agreed, and I believe he was sincere. Groomed the dog again, they were more than happy and tipped very well. He's coming again next week. Unless there's any other issue, I don't care. Water under the bridge. Even though it really upset me, I'm glad everything turned out ok. I learned a lot dealing with this man.

Comment

Originally posted by kozak11288 View Post
                          Or they send their children who then give us grooming instructions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                          Ugh this is the worst! I had a lady start to bring her "Teddy Bear" to me a while back. One day she sends the daughter in with written instructions. My assistant checks her in and I do the groom same as usual. I literally had just spoken with the woman that morning and she said, yes, do the full haircut same as usual. Well apparently the daughter had on her paper that they wanted "ears trimmed, tail trimmed, face trimmed, aand body the same." Since I just spoke with the lady, I figured that meant same length on body as normal. When the mom came back she was soooo mad I did a full haircut. She only wanted a face, feet, and tail. Said she couldn't afford to pay for a full clip and then started yelling at my assistant and called her daughter yelling at her. geez. I tried to just give It to her for free, but she insisted on paying the price for a bath. I let it go and was surprised when she called 2 months later for another appointment for a clip. Did the clip, told her the dog was matted, she didn't believe me, and that since he bites so much during dematting, this was the last time I'd put him through that. next time, shave. She hasn't been back since, and I'm perfectly fine with that!

Comment

Working...
                          X