Cataract Surgery...time off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cataract Surgery...time off?

Unfortunately the doctors say I must have the surgery now or risk losing sight in my right eye. Surgery is scheduled for next Friday for one eye, next on the 22nd. I figure by taking just Saturday and Sunday off I should be OK by Monday, right?

Anybody ever have this done?

I was hoping to wait until I was 65 to have this done so medicare would pay part of it (63.5 years old now), but no such luck...therefore my lousy health insurance will pay for very little for this - at least $7000 out of pocket, probably more. (and that's paying $650/month - just for me! With Obamacare! And no major health issues up until eye problems that started 2 years ago) I still have at least 7 more years of full time+ work ahead of me, so having decent eyesight is a plus!

Input appreciated!

I've not had the surgery, but my grandmother had both her eyes done a few years ago. I remember the recovery time for her was three days after each procedure. After that, she could see so much better and I don't remember her saying she was in any real pain or discomfort. She was just mad someone had to drive her around for a couple of days! Lol (she was a stubborn as it gets!)

Comment

I know that 7K seems, and is, a whole lot of $$...........but for eye site.......I would be willing to sell my soul. Do the payments and thank your lucky stars that there is an option to your medical problem. Your physician will be able to tell you when you can return back to work.........most definitely with safety glasses. I know several people who were up and running two days after surgery. I have heard of nothing but horrible tales about Obamacare .

Happy having 20/20 vision again

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

My husband had cataract surgery on both eyes (separate times with healing between). His improved eyesight was immediate, and there wasn't much of a recovery, but if I remember correctly, he was still out of work for at least a week or two with restrictions on heavy activity like lifting.

Comment

I've heard quick recovery time for surgery, but follow doctors advice.

I've heard mostly wonderful things about Obama Care. I know many people that now have insurance they can afford and feel confident to get medical care. It is a God-sent to them!

Comment

My sister had laser cataract surgery on both eyes two years ago ( one eye at a time ). Fortunately, she had decent medical coverage from her job so she didn't have to worry about being on Obama care/Medicare. Thank God for that. She had the laser surgery versus the old fashion scalpel type. I would definitely go laser if you have any choice at all. The results are much better, the healing time is much shorter, and it's just safer procedure overall. Do your due diligence and investigate anybody that is going to put surgical tools near your eyes.
            All the best to you. Do you listen to your doctor about lifting, bending , and straining of any type. This can cause hemorrhages or plaque to form in the eye. Once this happens you could lose your vision permanently. I don't mean to be fear monger but our eyesight is too valuable to play around with.l this can cause hemorrhages or plaque to form in the eye. Once this happens you could lose your vision permanently. I don't mean to be us fear monger but our eyesight is too valuable to play around with.

Comment

There are STRICT and IMPORTANT guidelines are the healing process. Absolutely take seriously. You need to be very settled, have your house clean, food ready, errands out of the way. Lifting restrictions are critical and that affects groomers and can go on for a few days more depending upon your progress to heal. Just plan on going home and being very settle for 2 or 3 days minimum.

Comment

My grandma had to lay low for 3 weeks after her surgery.

Comment

I helped my grandparents through it and so true, get the immediate rest right after surgery and no lifting!!!

Comment

Started more eye drops today, pre-surgery...jeesh 4 times a day - 3 drops. I will call the nurse to see if I need to reschedule Monday's appts., too. I hope not. Some people will understand, some won't.
                    When one owns their own business, at least around here, it's looked down upon to take time off. We usually don't. I was going to try to go to the Dachshund Nationals this year next month (1st time in 3 years), that's not going to happen because of the cost of the surgery. I also can't go to my grandson's baptism...that really sucks. They live many states away, I would have to fly and take a couple days off, we just can't afford it.

Kind of a Catch22 here: I HAVE to work to pay for the surgery, but yet people say to take time off. I really should have had it done 2 years ago, but it would have been even more expensive - no ACHA at that time and we were paying $10,000 deductible and $1000/month for both of us for insurance. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there in the same position.

Comment

Focus on rest the first 24 to 48 hours after that is the most important, and the lifting and bending over limits. That's most important. And get used to the drops. Line up the bottles, you will do lots of drops!

Comment

My clients worry about me when I am sick. They don't look down on me for taking time off. You live in a strange place!!

Originally posted by Petekids View Post
                        Started more eye drops today, pre-surgery...jeesh 4 times a day - 3 drops. I will call the nurse to see if I need to reschedule Monday's appts., too. I hope not. Some people will understand, some won't.
                        When one owns their own business, at least around here, it's looked down upon to take time off. We usually don't. I was going to try to go to the Dachshund Nationals this year next month (1st time in 3 years), that's not going to happen because of the cost of the surgery. I also can't go to my grandson's baptism...that really sucks. They live many states away, I would have to fly and take a couple days off, we just can't afford it.

Kind of a Catch22 here: I HAVE to work to pay for the surgery, but yet people say to take time off. I really should have had it done 2 years ago, but it would have been even more expensive - no ACHA at that time and we were paying $10,000 deductible and $1000/month for both of us for insurance. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there in the same position.

Comment

Originally posted by Petekids View Post
                          Unfortunately the doctors say I must have the surgery now or risk losing sight in my right eye. Surgery is scheduled for next Friday for one eye, next on the 22nd. I figure by taking just Saturday and Sunday off I should be OK by Monday, right?

Anybody ever have this done?

I was hoping to wait until I was 65 to have this done so medicare would pay part of it (63.5 years old now), but no such luck...therefore my lousy health insurance will pay for very little for this - at least $7000 out of pocket, probably more. (and that's paying $650/month - just for me! With Obamacare! And no major health issues up until eye problems that started 2 years ago) I still have at least 7 more years of full time+ work ahead of me, so having decent eyesight is a plus!

Input appreciated!
                          Did you have your first surgery, hope you are healing well.

Comment

How is it going?

Comment

How are your eyes doing petekids

Comment

Working...
                              X