April is OAY Month - He We Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April is OAY Month - He We Go

Only groomers would understand that. We often add $10 or $15 for time and wear and tear on blades for coat removals. This year we are thinking $20. We really don't need the business if they don't like it. It is nice to get to that point where we can say that.

We do up to 25 if it's really, really bad.

I've already sent one a vet referral, a 1 year 6 months old yorkie mix, never been groomed. Legs matted stiff, feet and pawpad hair matted like platform shoes.

Comment

That's horrible tickedtabby

Yeah, I was just thinking this Friday. Spring must be here! Ugh, so sad, I had 3 matted messes I had to pre-shave before the bath. So sad
      amanda
      ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

Comment

I feel so lucky I don't have any OAYs now. I am booked 2-3 weeks in advance and I guess they can't wait that long. You know, the dog hasn't been groomed since last spring but he cannot wait another week or two, he needs to be shaved RIGHT NOW!

Comment

It's a yo-yo though. We want to help these pets and at the same time so sad, but overall, we do our part to help some little souls with better lives and try to build more compassion in pet owners.

Comment

I didn't mention when working with the OAY owners I mention that even if they ONLY groomed every 3 months we could help them avoid the sad situation. If you say 2 months that is like too soon, somehow at 3 months (not 12 weeks) some of them actually do a "seasonal program" and we encourage a short full groom.

Comment

Got my first oay apt coming tuesday. Cocker. Woo freaking hoo! Added a $30 charge on top of normal price. I do not feel bad about it either. There is no reason that dog should go 12 months or more on " a farm" wo being stripped. Gonna be fun fun fun

Comment

Originally posted by The Dusty Muzzle View Post
                Got my first oay apt coming tuesday. Cocker. Woo freaking hoo! Added a $30 charge on top of normal price. I do not feel bad about it either. There is no reason that dog should go 12 months or more on " a farm" wo being stripped. Gonna be fun fun fun
                Is it a candidate for Rags to Riches?
                Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Comment

I don't mind the OAY's. Like AbsoluteBichon said, I'm helping out this little Being. I'll be able to give them some comfort. I don't find they are much more trouble them some of the regulars. They stand nice on my table and in the bath. They are short trims so drying is no problem.

I don't charge "extra"....I just charge my regular hourly rate. Because they normally do take a bit longer to do the "extra" will just automatically be included. It's no big deal.

Also, I'm thankful that they come to our shop. We tend not to overbook, so we can take the extra time that is required to do these dogs without the trauma they might have to deal with from a shop that wants their groomers to do 12 dogs a day. The dog doesn't have to deal with the "stand still...I still have 8 more dogs to do and your putting me behind schedule".
                  If the groomer doing the OAY dog needs help, we help each other out by comforting them during pad shaving, etc.

My 7 blades are sharp and ready to go...bring on the OAY Dogs!

Comment

Gtc, I have no idea if it is a candidate for rtr. I have not seen it yet. Normally in TX if they say the dogs been on a farm it will require a complete strip. Will see

Comment

Don't stress yourself over it. Give the priority to your regular customers who care about their dogs. And when you get in the OAY dogs, love them and spoil them, maybe they aren't getting the attention they should at home. I have a Sammy I do once a year, love him, but he is a big COATED boy who lives outside much of the time. (He is a Samoyed, so maybe it's his choice to live out there) This year he came in and went right to the cabinet where I keep my treat stash and started pawing at the door for his liver treats! Maybe he smelled them... but I would like to think he remembered all the snacks for his previous groomings.

Comment

The thing is not that I don't like the OAY dog, I just don't like their owners!!
                        I don't have much since I'm booked for several weeks, I had one (poo x fox terrier) two weeks ago like I can't leave any length (#7) that's really fast but really really dirty, I think I spent 40min on her, I didn't added any fee.
                        BUT for a cocker or that kind I'll add fee, because they are just impossible to groom, I actually don't like grooming my regular cockers so OAY no way! That's like even on short hair it takes forever to dry!

Comment

I have 3 Komondor's that come in to be shaved off. All three are rescues, and only one is decent to work on. They are so matted, I use large animal clippers to get under the mats. I will post pics when they come in, which will be soon, as the owner contacted me last night. I charge accordingly. I also have OAY cocker spaniels that are farm dogs(3), and they are something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love cockers. Don't do but 2. The lady I apprentice d under showed them along with other various breeds. Correction... I like we'll behaved cocker

Comment

April is our biggest OAY month, and even May. We have some booked already too.

Comment

Working...
                              X