Notes vs Jodi's book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes vs Jodi's book

Recently I was on a Facebook group for groomers. I was literally on it for a few days, and in that time there must have been 5 people looking for critiques on their Schnauzer. As usual the advice was drop the skirt and get rid of the chest. Then I was really surprised when someone posted this picture from Notes. Now, it obviously shows the fringe at the bottom of the chest, HOWEVER that pattern would be very very confusing for a newbie groomer. I want to get my husband a book and I don't need him confused. For those that have Jodi's book is it better than Notes in your opinion? Here is the picture I'm talking about.
    Attached Files

Ha.. I think I know the board you speak of.. anyway.. in my opinion Notes is great but so is Jodi's... they both are so different and complimentary. But it seems Jodi's book is a tad more advanced.. or just different. I'm on a new computer.. as soon as I figure out how to resize the pics.. I'll post them. I think it depends on how you learn. Notes is pictures, Jodi uses real dogs.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Thanks Debbie and great to see you back!

Comment

In one of the newsletters I received from Verplank it says there is a new edition of Notes coming out soon, maybe they'll be more in line with each other in the future.

Comment

For a newbie groomer I would give the nod to Jodi's book. IMO both books are a valuable resource to have in your grooming library, but for the beginner, the actual photos overlayed in a color coded format makes it easier (again my opinion) for a newbie to follow. There are also photos of a finished groom (without the overlay), and step by step instructions for each breed. It is organized by types of grooms (setter - like pattern lines, terrier - like pattern lines, sculpted body trims) rather than AKC groups, as well as a section on ear styles and tail styles.
          Attached Files

Comment

They are both great but I like the live pictures of dogs a bit better than drawings.

Comment

Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
              For a newbie groomer I would give the nod to Jodi's book. IMO both books are a valuable resource to have in your grooming library, but for the beginner, the actual photos overlayed in a color coded format makes it easier (again my opinion) for a newbie to follow. There are also photos of a finished groom (without the overlay), and step by step instructions for each breed. It is organized by types of grooms (setter - like pattern lines, terrier - like pattern lines, sculpted body trims) rather than AKC groups, as well as a section on ear styles and tail styles.
              Thank you, Wild for posting the picture! I finally figured out how to resize.. ahaha it was much easier than I thought.
              Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                Thanks Debbie and great to see you back!
                Thank you. I broke my foot and had surgery. I'm still trying to recover.
                Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
                  Oh shoot, I was really hoping Jodi's book would have comb lengths for the legs. Telling a newbie to scissor isn't much help on the amount to leave. Dang it.

Comment

Somebody PLEASE tell me WHY both of these books have patterns placed on the dog that look like you would leave a bib on it? That is just very confusing. I know the picture doesn't show that, but the pattern placement does.

Comment

It's probably not going to help much but I believe there is a difference between mini/ standard/giant schnauzers and whether there is a bib. I believe that it is only on the minis and not on any others. Could be mistaken and have it backwards.
                      If you really want clarification why not contact an AKC breeder / handler and check.

This isn't really answering your question about the pattern lines but I think t could be difficult to show the differences when there are three sizes involved. Possibly they are showing the most common trim hoping everyone will research differences.

Comment

No none of them get a bib Honey. The pictures even show that, but the pattern does not. I'm not confused about it at all, but the newbie groomers on that Facebook page saw those patterns and left huge bibs. I guess I'll just start compiling my own little book for hubs instead of shelling out 80-90 dollars for one.

Comment

Welcome back daesue. And I have both books, I bought one used at good price. I tend to go for Jodi's a bit more when I want to see a picture. I do think it is important to get Theory of 5 by Melissa.

Comment

Thanks, Brit!!
                            Debbie

Comment

Hello cocker, I was taught 16 years ago by a Certified master groomer that not only handled multiple breeds in show but also bred and showed cockers. We left a tight trimmed chest. Only enough to make the dog look proper. We were of course doing pets. Not sure it makes a difference or not but that is what I was taught. Now a lot os pet owners like a long full chest and skirt. At least my clients ask for it. So.... though it may not be proper it is popular. Don't understand why those guys would show it in book if not breed standard

Comment

Working...
                              X