Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New job?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New job?

    Sorry I ask so many questions on here... I'm new and confused.

    So I recently (January 2016) got a job as a f/t groomer at a pet store. They haven't had a groomer in 3-4 years so I contacted the owner to see if I could start it up again. The past groomer got groomer of the month for my town/state and everyone loved him so I figured that people would be interested in trying me out and seeing what I'm capable of. I finished grooming school in December. I went from September - December and got a job right away which I think is pretty great. Well anyways, the room is super tiny and it's in the back of the pet store. It used to be a self wash room but now that's by appointment only. My boss got the bright idea of giving away free full service grooms to first time customers. Yeah it drew people in, but at the same time it just doesn't make sense to me... Maybe 10 or 20% off but not 100% lol well whatever not my problem.

    My problem is that the room is soooooo tiny and I have so much stuff and I'm just super claustrophobic and get anxiety from being in there. I was ok at first but now it's really starting to get to me. Also, it smells like something died. I have to clean the bath pipes every week otherwise the smell is overwhelming... It was fine for a couple days but now it's back to smelling horrible and I just cleaned it yesterday. I have a ton of air fresheners and good smelling stuff and odour destroyers but nothing makes it better. I also think the tub might be leaking. There's ALWAYS water on the floor under the tub against the wall. I put a towel down to test it out and after a couple of days it was soaked. It looks like I bathe dogs on the floor under the tub but obviously I don't... And there are so many flies. Tiny little flies whenever there's any wet dog hair around. I take out the garbage every other day but it's still bad. I really don't know what to do. I feel like crying basically all day everyday.

    I take care of the appointments all by myself, I do everything by myself even the plumbing... I have people scheduled about a month in advance bc they wanted a set 4-5 week type thing... But I also kind of want to find another place to work. I feel like I might have jumped at this too quickly. I should have looked at all my options before settling for the first thing that came my way.

    What do you guys think I should do? I've only been there for 3 months I don't want to seem like a quitter... and just for the future, how do I go about quitting? Since it isn't owned by me I can't tell my clients where I'm going, correct? Ugh please help me. Please and thank you.

  • #2
    Oh, Danielle, I feel so bad for you. You seem like very mature, talented, eager to learn young woman. It is great that you found a job so quickly and are booked so far ahead.
    But the conditions you are working in sound awful.
    If your boss is at least a little bit reasonable, maybe you can run some numbers, showing how much money you brought in with grooming customers (and they probably are shopping in the store, so if they did not come for groom, they would not walk in the store and spend little extra on toys, treats, etc.), and the fact that you are booked month in advance should be really really good news for your boss. You need to make him see you as a valuable asset and he needs to treat you right.
    Frankly, from what you are describing, I am imagining OSHA would find your workplace conditions hazardous to your health and your boss could be fined. But I would try to go nice route at first. He should at least fix the leaking tub, and, ideally, get a dehumidifier for you.
    On another note, if you do decide to leave, give proper notice, don't burn bridges. You are right, you can't take customers with you, but if you do find new place and advertise that "Danielle so-and-so, formerly of XXX grooming shop, now grooms at YYY grooming salon" they will have a chance to find you.
    I really really wish your boss remodels the store to give you bigger, brighter, grooming room
    Hugs

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ABDG View Post
      Oh, Danielle, I feel so bad for you. You seem like very mature, talented, eager to learn young woman. It is great that you found a job so quickly and are booked so far ahead.
      But the conditions you are working in sound awful.
      If your boss is at least a little bit reasonable, maybe you can run some numbers, showing how much money you brought in with grooming customers (and they probably are shopping in the store, so if they did not come for groom, they would not walk in the store and spend little extra on toys, treats, etc.), and the fact that you are booked month in advance should be really really good news for your boss. You need to make him see you as a valuable asset and he needs to treat you right.
      Frankly, from what you are describing, I am imagining OSHA would find your workplace conditions hazardous to your health and your boss could be fined. But I would try to go nice route at first. He should at least fix the leaking tub, and, ideally, get a dehumidifier for you.
      On another note, if you do decide to leave, give proper notice, don't burn bridges. You are right, you can't take customers with you, but if you do find new place and advertise that "Danielle so-and-so, formerly of XXX grooming shop, now grooms at YYY grooming salon" they will have a chance to find you.
      I really really wish your boss remodels the store to give you bigger, brighter, grooming room
      Hugs
      Thank you!!! I just feel bad to be honest because the owner met with me and my boss met with me and they repainted the room, had the plumber come in to show me how to clean the drain, and they bought me anything I asked for. Now it got complicated because my boss got transferred. I used to be able to text him with any questions or concerns, but now I have no idea who my new boss is. The owner and old boss do come in on Wednesdays but only for about 5-10 minutes and they're mostly checking out the rest of the store. I have no idea what to do. Should I start looking for something new, or stay where I am and see if things change?

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm sorry you are having such a bad time in your new venture. The one point (of many that seem off about this place) I want to ask you about is the plumbing issue, because if black mold may be present, that could lead to serious health problems for you (and the self serve clients). Why are you responsible for the plumbing? Is it because you are independently contracted, and it states so in your contract? Is it that you are just feeling responsible because you work there and your boss could care less? I would talk to the owner and address your issues with the workspace in a businesslike manner. Maybe you could have a professional plumber come in for a consultation on what the problem may be. Was a hair trap ever installed when they put the tub in? If not, the drain lines may be clogged and need professional flushing. Moist rank air is harmful to your lungs. Between the flying hair and toenail dust you are exposed to on a daily basis, you don't need the added health risk to your lungs. I like the idea posted above about calculating your productivity. Take this to your meeting. Give them a chance to fix things, but know that with some businesses it's all about the money you are making them and reinvesting in the shop is not high on their spending list.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
          I'm sorry you are having such a bad time in your new venture. The one point (of many that seem off about this place) I want to ask you about is the plumbing issue, because if black mold may be present, that could lead to serious health problems for you (and the self serve clients). Why are you responsible for the plumbing? Is it because you are independently contracted, and it states so in your contract? Is it that you are just feeling responsible because you work there and your boss could care less? I would talk to the owner and address your issues with the workspace in a businesslike manner. Maybe you could have a professional plumber come in for a consultation on what the problem may be. Was a hair trap ever installed when they put the tub in? If not, the drain lines may be clogged and need professional flushing. Moist rank air is harmful to your lungs. Between the flying hair and toenail dust you are exposed to on a daily basis, you don't need the added health risk to your lungs. I like the idea posted above about calculating your productivity. Take this to your meeting. Give them a chance to fix things, but know that with some businesses it's all about the money you are making them and reinvesting in the shop is not high on their spending list.
          Would i see the mold anywhere? I don't think there's a hair trap on the drain it's just a hole type thing with a cover. I'll post a picture of it along with the little thing I have to clean out by the pipes. Now I just found out the sink won't shut off and all I hear is dripping >.< oh they also have the extra fish tank water running off into my tub. Well the plumber came in and told me how I have to clean it every couple weeks so that's what I've been doing. He said if I clean it and the water still doesn't go down to call back but it goes down just fine... I can't figure out where the smell of death is coming from though. Seems to be a little better today though

          Comment


          • #6
            Oh also, how do I go about calculating my productivity?

            Comment


            • #7
              Could be a hair filter in the drain pipe. But those pics taken from under the tub....I see mold everywhere. Clean all that area with a bleach scrub (wipe dry and put a fan in there to dry all the way). Is the place on city sewer or septic tank?
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                Could be a hair filter in the drain pipe. But those pics taken from under the tub....I see mold everywhere. Clean all that area with a bleach scrub (wipe dry and put a fan in there to dry all the way). Is the place on city sewer or septic tank?
                I can't tell if it's mold or just old dog hair to be honest... and I want to say city but I'm not 100% sure

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yes, I see a lot of mold and dirt and grime. That is going to give off an odor for sure. You need to do a super deep clean with a bleach product and then keep it clean. If they aren't going to fix the leak, put a towel under there and change it at least every day or when it is soaked. Once it is clean a lot of your problems may go away.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                    Yes, I see a lot of mold and dirt and grime. That is going to give off an odor for sure. You need to do a super deep clean with a bleach product and then keep it clean. If they aren't going to fix the leak, put a towel under there and change it at least every day or when it is soaked. Once it is clean a lot of your problems may go away.
                    okay, i'll see if they have some type of bleach / cleaning product. they barely have any paper towels so this should be fun! *sarcasm* but yeah I have a limited supply of towels and the company comes to take them and give me new ones once every 2 weeks so I have to use them wisely... too bad the self-wash customers take 5 for 1 dog

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Now I think it might be coming from the table

                      My boyfriend is coming over to help me clean this place

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You need to do a super deep clean. Take cages apart and scrub them as well.
                        Those pics remind me of the last vet clinic I had my salon in.....I scrubbed for 2 dang days to make MY area smell clean, gripped about plumbing till it was fixed (bad leak under tub). Kennel might have (did) smell all the time but my little room was a breath of clean air when I was done and I kept it that way!!
                        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think there's mold...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Eww. Go in on your days off and clean that place from top to bottom. That is definitely why it smells. All the air freshener and odor absorber in the world isn't going to help until it's clean.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              And document to show the owners your value and how much you invested in their business. They should have limits on self wash towels or you get a separate supply from self wash. Also they should have cleaning person for self wash. Approach it from health reason for you and dog and I can't even tell you how many clients I get that said xxx was filthy, not just normal dog hair etc but filthy...

                              Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X