Gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves

So I have a question... I've seen/heard of people wearing latex or vinyl gloves while grooming, and I was just wondering what everyone's opinion is on that? I'm thinking of getting some because some of these dogs I'm getting are super disgusting and I barely wanna touch them. Also, I have a bunch of cuts and whatnot on my hands so I'm worried about getting hair or dirt or anything in them and getting infections.

Pros and cons of wearing latex / vinyl gloves while grooming? I wear rubber gloves while bathing the dogs because I HATE getting my hands wet and I don't think constantly wetting my hands and being in shampoos is the best. So yeah, thanks in advance!

I can't imagine wearing them while grooming. That being said, I don't pre-clip and dogs even the nasty ones. Straight into the tub they go. If I did I might be inclined to put on a disposable pair of gloves, but I wouldn't finish a dog with them on. And yes I wear latex gloves while bathing too.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
      I can't imagine wearing them while grooming. That being said, I don't pre-clip and dogs even the nasty ones. Straight into the tub they go. If I did I might be inclined to put on a disposable pair of gloves, but I wouldn't finish a dog with them on. And yes I wear latex gloves while bathing too.
      I do the nails, paw pads, clean the ears, brush out, and pre cut, THEN I do the bath. I'd only wear them for before the bath, because some dogs are just really bad but I don't want to bathe them before brushing them bc most of the time they're matted like crazy

Comment

I used to work with a groomer that wore the plastic/rubber gloves all the time. Personally I don't care for them; I can't feel the dog, skin, hair, etc properly; and when bathing I can't feel the cleanliness of the coat and skin or the temp of the water. To each his own

Comment

I lose all tactile abilities when I wear gloves, so I can only wear them for color application.

Comment

Yeah you guys do make very valid points. I guess I'll try it out just to see how it's like. The dogs I get are absolutely disgusting and I have to wear a mask otherwise I'll probably throw up. I've come close a couple times

Comment

I can pick up poop and squeeze anal glands with my bare hand without an issue, I don't have a gross-meter built into my body, but I have to bathe with a glove on one hand, because my skin gets so dry that I crack and bleed from the repetition of the soapy wet, then warm drying. I wear a nitrile glove, and only for the bath. Any longer, my hand sweats too much anyway. I won't wear it when I'm bathing a cat, because I need all of my senses to be on point for cats.

Comment

Originally posted by dmdogcare View Post
                I do the nails, paw pads, clean the ears, brush out, and pre cut, THEN I do the bath. I'd only wear them for before the bath, because some dogs are just really bad but I don't want to bathe them before brushing them bc most of the time they're matted like crazy
                Read a few threads on the board about bathing before clipping. You may change your mind. I love not ever having to work on gross dogs. because they are all clean before I clip them. I do nothing but pull ear hair, put cleaner in the ear and stuff cotton in before the dog goes to bath.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
                  I can pick up poop and squeeze anal glands with my bare hand without an issue, I don't have a gross-meter built into my body, but I have to bathe with a glove on one hand, because my skin gets so dry that I crack and bleed from the repetition of the soapy wet, then warm drying. I wear a nitrile glove, and only for the bath. Any longer, my hand sweats too much anyway. I won't wear it when I'm bathing a cat, because I need all of my senses to be on point for cats.
                  I wanted to gag reading that oh god. Seriously though I'm a germaphobe and I hate touching things so idk what I'm doing being a groomer lol but I love it. I don't like the feeling of my hands being wet so I wear gloves for that and also for cleaning up after dogs or cleaning at the end of the day

Comment

Read a few threads on the board about bathing before clipping. You may change your mind. I love not ever having to work on gross dogs. because they are all clean before I clip them. I do nothing but pull ear hair, put cleaner in the ear and stuff cotton in before the dog goes to bath.
                    At grooming school we did cuts before baths then cuts again after because then it'll take less time to dry the dogs. If the dogs are super disgusting I'll bathe them first because I don't want to ruin my clippers. It's hard to get out of an old habit

Comment

^^^this^^^i never brush/clip before bath anymore. Whatever time you think you saving whith pre-shaving, you still have to finish clip, so you basically shaving twice. I know, I know, some groomers don't believe in wet clipping, and think putting dog straight to the tub wastes shampoo, etc., but I still do it, It is much much nicer to clip clean coat. I don't remember if you have bathing system, even if you don't, read up on wet clipping on this board. Saves time and wear and tear on your blades.

Comment

It really takes the same amount of time honest. Whatever you save in drying you have used in pre-clipping. You can typically get a longer blade through a dog that has been washed first as well. I'll admit a bathing system helps but even without it, it is worth it.

I washed this little girlie first. Do you think pre-clipping, a four would go through her body and a one comb on her legs? I assure you it would not have. I would have been lucky to get a ten under that mess.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
                          ^^^this^^^i never brush/clip before bath anymore. Whatever time you think you saving whith pre-shaving, you still have to finish clip, so you basically shaving twice. I know, I know, some groomers don't believe in wet clipping, and think putting dog straight to the tub wastes shampoo, etc., but I still do it, It is much much nicer to clip clean coat. I don't remember if you have bathing system, even if you don't, read up on wet clipping on this board. Saves time and wear and tear on your blades.
                          Never heard of it but I'll look into it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dmdogcare View Post
                            At grooming school we did cuts before baths then cuts again after because then it'll take less time to dry the dogs. If the dogs are super disgusting I'll bathe them first because I don't want to ruin my clippers. It's hard to get out of an old habit
                            That's how I learned in grooming school as well, but pre clipping and brushing is one of the first habits I ditched. I got a lot of out grooming school, and my mentor was fantastic and taught me some great skills, but it was very old school. Pre clipping and/or brushing out everything before the bath, everything hand fluffed with a stand dryer because she did not even own a HV, hand scrubbing everything. While it was a valuable education, I've evolved so much by networking with other, more advanced groomers over the years. One of the first gems I learned was to put dogs straight into the tub and then it's a one-shot deal on the table. It took me a while longer to get on board with wet clipping. I don't do dogs that would need that anymore, but it is definitely a huge time saver on some of those dogs with thick and/or matted coats that are going to be buzzed down, anyway.

I wish I could work in gloves, but I can't. It's too much like trying to diddle with my clothes on. Pointless and only able to feel just enough to be confused and annoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Totally Clips View Post
                              That's how I learned in grooming school as well, but pre clipping and brushing is one of the first habits I ditched. I got a lot of out grooming school, and my mentor was fantastic and taught me some great skills, but it was very old school. Pre clipping and/or brushing out everything before the bath, everything hand fluffed with a stand dryer because she did not even own a HV, hand scrubbing everything. While it was a valuable education, I've evolved so much by networking with other, more advanced groomers over the years. One of the first gems I learned was to put dogs straight into the tub and then it's a one-shot deal on the table. It took me a while longer to get on board with wet clipping. I don't do dogs that would need that anymore, but it is definitely a huge time saver on some of those dogs with thick and/or matted coats that are going to be buzzed down, anyway.

I wish I could work in gloves, but I can't. It's too much like trying to diddle with my clothes on. Pointless and only able to feel just enough to be confused and annoyed.
                              Hmm, I've honestly never heard of wet clipping before. For bigger dogs I prefer clipping before the bath otherwise I'll be standing there forever drying. Even if it does take the same amount of time altogether, I'd rather be clipping than drying bc the loud turbo dryer is annoying lol

Comment

Working...
                              X