Close call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close call

I almost lost a dog yesterday. Actually two. It started with me showing up at the house and the dogs were super excited to see me. No owner home. The dogs are in their dog yard. I'm there to do the two bulldogs. Both of them jump the lab, pin him down and are tearing at his throat. I run into the yard, get the fight broken up and leash up the male bulldog. OMG the stress of the fight was enough.

Get done, take the male bull back, get the leash on the girl. The boy keep making little leaps towards the lab again, and I'm trying to block him while getting the girl out of the gate. Just then both the male bulldog and the lab, bust through the gate and take off! They pushed open the secondary gate which I had closed but not latched and now they are out in the street.

I am super fortunate that these dogs love me and aren't the type to dread seeing me and I get all happy and excited when I see boy bulldog and he comes to me and I get a hold of his collar. But he doesn't want to go back to the yard, and keeps trying to slip the collar. Finally get him back in, leave girl with him and take off after the lab. I don't see him anywhere. BUT I hear yapping around the corner and I'm thinking a neighbor dog might be mad said lab is at his fence, and fortunately that is the case. I get eyes on him and say his name really excited while I throw my hands up in the air and he comes bounding towards me and while he runs past I lasso him with my kennel lead.

Go back to the house, close and latch all gates (even the ones the owners leave open all the time) do girl bulldog and call it done.

I though my head was gonna explode from the stress headache it gave me.

OMG!!! I'm glad everything ultimately was OK in the end, but WOW! The adrenaline rush you must of had! Has anything like this happened between the dogs before in regards to the fighting?
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Furry View Post
      OMG!!! I'm glad everything ultimately was OK in the end, but WOW! The adrenaline rush you must of had! Has anything like this happened between the dogs before in regards to the fighting?

I was texting the owner about it, and she says it is new behavior. Mostly happening when they are excited. They put their old girl down recently and that's when it started. The girl bulldog seems to be the antagonist and I'm thinking maybe she sees a new role in the pack now that the old girl is gone. Not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
        I was texting the owner about it, and she says it is new behavior. Mostly happening when they are excited. They put their old girl down recently and that's when it started. The girl bulldog seems to be the antagonist and I'm thinking maybe she sees a new role in the pack now that the old girl is gone. Not sure.
        Make sense. They may want to consider getting a behaviorist to the house asap to assess, or keeping the dogs separate if no one is around to supervise. They may end up coming home someday to a bloody mess if they don't. What did yo u end up telling them to do with the dogs for future grooming appointments?
        It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
        Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
          I almost lost a dog yesterday. Actually two. It started with me showing up at the house and the dogs were super excited to see me. No owner home. The dogs are in their dog yard. I'm there to do the two bulldogs. Both of them jump the lab, pin him down and are tearing at his throat. I run into the yard, get the fight broken up and leash up the male bulldog. OMG the stress of the fight was enough.

Get done, take the male bull back, get the leash on the girl. The boy keep making little leaps towards the lab again, and I'm trying to block him while getting the girl out of the gate. Just then both the male bulldog and the lab, bust through the gate and take off! They pushed open the secondary gate which I had closed but not latched and now they are out in the street.

I am super fortunate that these dogs love me and aren't the type to dread seeing me and I get all happy and excited when I see boy bulldog and he comes to me and I get a hold of his collar. But he doesn't want to go back to the yard, and keeps trying to slip the collar. Finally get him back in, leave girl with him and take off after the lab. I don't see him anywhere. BUT I hear yapping around the corner and I'm thinking a neighbor dog might be mad said lab is at his fence, and fortunately that is the case. I get eyes on him and say his name really excited while I throw my hands up in the air and he comes bounding towards me and while he runs past I lasso him with my kennel lead.

Go back to the house, close and latch all gates (even the ones the owners leave open all the time) do girl bulldog and call it done.

I though my head was gonna explode from the stress headache it gave me.
          OMG! What a day......you did good Cockerlvr!
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Wow scary. Congrats on getting it resolved. It does sound like a change in power. I am sure you will check in with the latest developments next time you go there.

Comment

No wonder your head wanted to explode! I'm so glad the dogs and you are OK![emoji1303][emoji252]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X