X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AmysJrGroomer
    • Jan 2007

Grand Opening Ideas

We have several groomers in my area of Pa. I feel like that is a good thing as their is enough market share to keep them all going. I am contemplating a variety of ideas for promoting and advertising. Curious if anyone has a particular successful experience they would be willing to share for me to consider when i do open.

Buzzy Bear
  • JJk
    Toy Member
    • Jan 2007

gifts, teeth brush, bows... whatever you do, don't touch your price policy--this was an advise I received when I opened my shop, I am glad I followed and now I am giving it to you.

Comment

• pamperedpups
      Closed
      • Jan 2007

Don't forget to put out a press release... or two, or three!

Comment

• sheilabgroomer
        Champion Member & Club 1,000
        • Jan 2007

You can also set up a little refreshement stand w/coffee, muffins, etc.. I also remember someone else mentioning on the old board to get a toster oven and bake cookies. The smell is great and it is a nice extra that people don't expect in a grooming shop! Good luck, that is such a fun time (stressful but fun..lol)
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

• diamienono
          • Jan 2007

Have a dog party. Dog cookies and cake something for the owners too. Maybe, free brushouts that day.
          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

• ejmj30
            Standard Member & Club 1,000
            • Jan 2007

I had a grand opening along with another dog oriented business, and we had a photographer come in and take action photos of dogs: agility, holiday photos, family photos, obedience stuff. It was a great turnout. I'd put an ad in the paper a wk or 2 ahead of time, and put up flyers at vets offices and dog parks. The flyers I'd do about a month in advance. Post the prices which hopefully won't be too expensive. Another thing that really went over big is that the people owned the photos after they received them, not like they just got a couple copies and couldn't do anything with them. We got cd's and owned them. I think it cost $40 or $60. I can't remember. You got 1/2 hr session, or something, so you could charge less for less time and still get loads of pics. One thing I'd say, is more than a certain number of dogs should have to buy 2 slots, otherwise they'll only get a couple pics between trying to get all the dogs organized for pics.
            Erin
            No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

• Kim in SD
              Toy Member
              • Jan 2007

I'm Mobile, no shop,, what I did was contact the local humane society and they held a half off day and my grand opening..Turn out was great!

Comment

• workingchihuahua
                • Jan 2007

all the responses are good. one more- get the local shelters out there for an adoption day. they will promote the event on their websites also
                Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

• Debby
                  Puppy Member
                  • Jan 2007

GO with the Humane Society, and ask if they will allow you to do a nail trimming day, or give away collar bows or bandanas with your name, I like to give away toothbrushes (loaded with mint paste) in February, which is Doggy Dental Month. They cost like 50 cents and get the people involved in good dental care.

I do stuff like have customers walk in the parades for Memorial Day, stuff like that!

Debby

Comment

• toomuchfunbnme
                    Miniature Member
                    • Jan 2007

Grand Opening!

I would see if I could get a local radio station to come out for the day by offering something really unusual. Perhaps you could offer free doggy manicures and pedicures. Throw in doggy Pawlish and a nail jewel to each person who makes a really big donation to the local pet rescue or humane society. Having a local radio station out is a ton of free advertising and should get alot of people showing up to get their dogs a free manicure and pedicure. People will talk about that for a long time. being asociated with helping an animal rescue and raising money for them will make a name for you in the community and get you instant fans plus the rescue and humane society people will attend the grand opening! Be ready to give everyone who attends your grand opening a coupon for some other special offer for your grooming shop that is good for only a short time. Have some drawings and maybe a carnival style game for the kids. Have lots of information on pet care and maybe even a grooming demonstration. Have doggy contests like best dressed dog, biggest dog, have a doggy obsticle course and prizes, etc. You could even turn this into a yearly "Dog Days Event" Sponsored by your grooming shop. Also the more people that you get involved helping with this, the more people you will have showing up, because they will have all of their friends and family come as well. Have your appointment book ready! Good Luck!

Comment

• diamienono
                      • Jan 2007

Parades are a good idea too. I did 2 halloween parades with my trailer and got quite a few customers from each.

Comment

• AmysJrGroomer
                        • Jan 2007

Wow

Wow Thank you Thank you these ideas are great!!!!

Comment

• Boxerfan
                          Standard Member & Club 1,000
                          • Jan 2007

We rented a dog costume from a local shop and my husband was good enough to wear it and wave at the traffic going down the street. It was hilarious! The costume was cheezy so we now rent from an online company when we do parades. He's a good sport about "playing dog".

Comment

• Pixie
                            Grand Champion & Club 5,000
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                            You can also set up a little refreshement stand w/coffee, muffins, etc.. I also remember someone else mentioning on the old board to get a toster oven and bake cookies. The smell is great and it is a nice extra that people don't expect in a grooming shop! Good luck, that is such a fun time (stressful but fun..lol)
                            That was probably Helly's idea. Seems like she likes to bake cookies. LOL If I smelled cookies from a grooming shop I know I would be in there right away to see what's going on.

Have fun with your opening.
                            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                            Diane

Comment

• diamienono
                              • Jan 2007

If I were the "average" person, I would not eat anything in a grooming shop. EWE too much hair some might say. Not me. It's a great source of fiber lol

Comment

Working...
                              X