Puppies and Bringing Them To Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppies and Bringing Them To Work?

When does everyone feel comfortable with bringing their young puppies with them to work at a grooming salon? How many sets of shots? And when you do feel comfortable bringing them do you do a crate/playpen to separate them from any strange dogs or do you only bring them when they are vaccinated enough to be in contact with other dogs (though you may still use a crate or playpen for some of the time just to keep puppy contained and out of the way)? What is your set up at home until you feel comfortable bringing them? Do you go home at lunch or have someone else go and play or take them out mid day?

IMO, a puppy should have at least two sets of shots before being exposed to other dogs (even when kept separately since many diseases are airborne viruses ). I have never let my dogs intermingle with client dogs directly. Just another losing legal battle should playtime turn too rough and the client's dog is injured or worse. I also wouldn't want my fur babies to be injured by a client dog that got too rough. Don't get me wrong, my dogs have frequently been to doggie daycare with communal playtime all day long, but that playtime is under constant staff supervision. In a shop situation, I am unable to provide constant supervision because I am busy grooming. Because of this, I would be afraid that an exuberant puppy left to run amok could be misread by another dog and be attacked. Not saying that will happen, only that it could. It's a personal choice really.

Comment

I won't take my puppies to work neither because I'm mobile and I don't want my dog to escape but if I was in a salon, I wouldn't like my dog to have contact with other stressful dogs, and also because I prefer my dogs being able to stay home alone.
      If you take him everyday from the day you got him, he won't never be alone and could turn into a mess when let alone.
      Also for vaccines, I won't take a very young pup at work, sometimes owners say their dog has vaccines but his last shot was 2 or 3 years ago, and an adult is not as vulnerable as a puppy!
      Plus FLEAS!! When my dogs & cats (which are not working with me) get fleas, I always wonder if I'm the one who give them fleas thought my clothes and shoes..

Comment

My guys come to work with me about half the time. I brought my puppy to work with me from day one. Literally the breeder delivered him to me! But I bought a healthy puppy, whose mother was well cared for vaccinated/titer tested, etc. If I rescued a puppy with unknown background I might be more hesitant. I actually enjoy having my dogs with me, particularly my oldest. She has wonderful manners and has such good energy. I notice a difference with nervous dogs when she is there. They are more relaxed. For customer puppies I request the pups have at least two sets of shots. But I do one dog at a time generally. The only dogs the pup may interact with are mine.

Comment

I ended up with kind of a "surprise!" (I wasn't planning on getting a puppy) puppy a couple of weeks ago. Since 8 weeks old, she has been doing half-days with me about three times a week. She is kenneled for about two hours and is allowed to run around with her "cousins" (the other store dogs) for about three. Ideally, I wouldn't have been bringing her to work with me quite yet, but it hasn't been a problem. Once she has her next round of shots, she'll be going with me all the time. We go EVERYWHERE but actual dog parks anyway, and she's been incredibly well-behaved so far for everything. She gets plenty of alone time that isn't 10+ hours in a crate at home.
          There are other ways of socialization, but I want my puppy socialized to everything as early as possible. I read from some trainer that it's worth the risk of illness to be socialized early. An unsocialized dog is worse than a dead dog, and I tend to agree, given some of the dogs I've seen who've been cooped up for their entire puppyhood.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Client dog's at my shop are kenneled so the only interaction would be dogs coming in or out of the shop and I have x-pen and crate there if I have an aggressive dog coming in or out or if the pup just needs to be out of the way. Not worried about the dog coming with me to work and separation anxiety either because you can use time in the evenings and weekends for the dog to be alone.
            Fleas is also not a real worry. In my climate they are very rare.

Comment

My puppies have always come to work with me. From the time I got Cabela at 7 weeks,and Hunter at 7 weeks, they both came with me. I work at a vet clinic. Both my dogs never caught anything. Both had their first set of shots. I would just carry them in, and they would sleep in a crate while I worked. That way I was able to feed/ let them out etc. They are both very well socialized now and love going to the vets. Hunter still comes with me, he's just 6 mos now, and still can hardly wait to get in the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys. It's making me feel a bit more comfortable with the idea of bringing him with me. I plan to either keep him in his crate or in his expen and making sure to really disinfect the areas he is in. I just don't love the idea of him staying at home for 9 hours a day and I wouldn't be able to go let him out or pick him up as it'd be like an hour round trip and I usually only take 10-15 mins for lunch. And this way I wouldn't have to train him on pee pads, which will make outside potty training easier.

Comment

First, second or third set of shots does not matter. I would really recommend you all read up on exactly how vaccinations work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Xd...feature=relmfu or watch. It's not like that second or third shot 'boosts' the immunity. Sometimes it's just the opposite.

Full time or part time attendance doesn't matter. Parvo can lurk no matter how much time is spent in an environment.

How many shots the puppy has isn't the point it's whether or not the dog is immunized (not vaccinated). Sometimes it's one shot and sometimes it's more.

I personally have a dog who was vaccinated only twice as a puppy four years ago. Once when she was nine weeks old, and she had an immune mediated response to that vaccine, had to be medicated to suppress her immune system, was weaned off and needed four weeks after she was off the meds to be vaccinated again. Her second vaccine was at 19 weeks. Since then she has been titered and has not needed any more vaccinations.

My answer to your question is when the puppy is immunized and I would do titers to check that. But that is me.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I'll see if I can get him titered when I get him home and see where he's at!

Comment

Some vets have advised me in the past to wait till they were older just as a precaution, very conservative.

Comment

My vet told me that I was fine to bring my 14 week old Spoo with me to work and I have every day since I got him. I am unable to go home and I work sometimes 10-11 hours and having him with me lets me take him out to potty and stretch his legs 4-5 times a day. He was reliably house trained within two weeks as a side effect, which is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by MysticRealm View Post
                          Thanks guys. It's making me feel a bit more comfortable with the idea of bringing him with me. I plan to either keep him in his crate or in his expen and making sure to really disinfect the areas he is in. I just don't love the idea of him staying at home for 9 hours a day and I wouldn't be able to go let him out or pick him up as it'd be like an hour round trip and I usually only take 10-15 mins for lunch. And this way I wouldn't have to train him on pee pads, which will make outside potty training easier.
                          Sounds good and Parti's advice good to. Check the titers after vax are done.

Comment

Working...
                          X