Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big dogs

Hi yes I have somewhat of an issue.

I'm a 20 year old, 5 foot tall girl working by myself as the groomer in the back of a pet store. I got a dog today that was well over 100 pounds, so I asked 2 of my coworkers to help me get him in the tub. The 3 of us couldn't manage so we called up a friend and had him come in to lift the dog in and out.

There are steps for the dogs to get up to the tub but I can't get them to actually use them so I end up lifting 60, 70 pound dogs.

Any tips or any advice on what to do?

I spoke to my boss about it but he said I can't say no to the customers no matter how big their dog is, so I'm kind of freaking out. I don't want to get hurt or end up hurting the dogs.

Help please & thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big dogs can certainly pose safety risks. If your boss wants to schedule them then ought want you o ask him to be there to assist. I do big dogs but can have a limit. I also have a table that drops to 10.5 in so they get an elevator ri development then moved to tub. If I cant puck it up in wont do it

Comment

Originally posted by The Dusty Muzzle View Post
      Big dogs can certainly pose safety risks. If your boss wants to schedule them then ought want you o ask him to be there to assist. I do big dogs but can have a limit. I also have a table that drops to 10.5 in so they get an elevator ri development then moved to tub. If I cant puck it up in wont do it
      I have a table that drops almost to the floor but I couldn't even get him up on that... I don't want to hurt the dog or myself and I'm afraid I might if I keep accepting these huge dogs

Comment

Then you need to have serious discussion with your employer.

Comment

And tell him there will be an L&I claim when you do hurt your back and your off work for a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
            And tell him there will be an L&I claim when you do hurt your back and your off work for a few months.
            They're worried that people will complain about me turning them down, but won't it be worse if something bad happens?

Comment

Uh, yeah. Potentially quite worse. 100#of dog is alot to handle for anyone. Aside from physically picking them up have you had any handling training with the big guys? We have always had large dogs so I am used to them but if you havent you might want to get involved with a trainer and see if they can help you out. Otherwise I would refuse as it could really hurt you. .

Comment

Lots of us are small & med size dogs only groomers.....especially us older groomers that did all that heavy large dog lifting in our younger yrs ( your body will pay for it in the long term ). Have a talk with the boss, Give a weight limit you are comfortable with. If you can't pick them up to even a table that drops almost to the ground, how are you going to keep them on the table if they want off when you have it raised? Could be very dangerous as the loop would then be choking the dog (or worse).
                So dont be scared of offending ppl when their dog is larger than you are comfortable doing, I turn down large dogs daily....but do refer them to someone that does do large dogs.
                Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Our salon doesn't have step up tubs, and there is no way to position a ramp the way ot is set up. There is, however a drain in the floor so we just tether the big dogs on the floor. If you don't have that option with your bathing set-up, then I would be telling my boss I don't do big dogs, or find a shop that has a better set up for them.

Comment

I've only had small dogs, but my cousins have really big dogs that I've been around a lot so I'm pretty good with handling them... I could look into some kind of training to be even better at it though, thanks!

Comment

Put the front paws on the tub (have someone help hold the feet there) then pick up the rear .. Usually I can lift very very large dogs by my self that way!

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the groomer's helper loop so it can't really choke them and it also has a quick release in case of an emergency... but to turbo him I just tied him to the table and let him stand on the floor... but he dragged the table around the room so that was a wonderful time

Comment

Originally posted by LaurenAuslan View Post
                          Put the front paws on the tub (have someone help hold the feet there) then pick up the rear .. Usually I can lift very very large dogs by my self that way!

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk
                          that's a good idea too, we tried getting him up using treats and we made a trail from one end of the room, up the stairs, and into the tub but no luck haha

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                            Lots of us are small & med size dogs only groomers.....especially us older groomers that did all that heavy large dog lifting in our younger yrs ( your body will pay for it in the long term ). Have a talk with the boss, Give a weight limit you are comfortable with. If you can't pick them up to even a table that drops almost to the ground, how are you going to keep them on the table if they want off when you have it raised? Could be very dangerous as the loop would then be choking the dog (or worse).
                            So dont be scared of offending ppl when their dog is larger than you are comfortable doing, I turn down large dogs daily....but do refer them to someone that does do large dogs.
                            oh and the reason they don't want to deny anyone is because they just started the grooming back up again after 3 or 4 years and they're trying to get customers

Comment

Originally posted by kaida714 View Post
                              Our salon doesn't have step up tubs, and there is no way to position a ramp the way ot is set up. There is, however a drain in the floor so we just tether the big dogs on the floor. If you don't have that option with your bathing set-up, then I would be telling my boss I don't do big dogs, or find a shop that has a better set up for them.
                              I don't really like doing big dogs, but since it isn't my own shop I have to talk to the boss about any changes I want to make... when I have my own shop I'll be doing my own thing

Comment

Working...
                              X