Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I dilute my shampoo the night before I work. I use it the next day is that OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dilute my shampoo the night before I work. I use it the next day is that OK?

I get rid of the shampoo I don't use that day then clean the bottle with bleach and then refill the shampoo with diluted water later in the night. Bacteria should be OK right? The shampoo I use is nature specialties plum silky

Originally posted by gwenniepoo22 View Post
    I get rid of the shampoo I don't use that day then clean the bottle with bleach and then refill the shampoo with diluted water later in the night. Bacteria should be OK right? The shampoo I use is nature specialties plum silky
    I wouldnt do it. I would mix my shampoo into DRIED bottles that had been disinfected the day before. I would NOT Let it sit overnight, not just for bacteria but TEMPERATURE, as I cannot abide using cold shampoo on a dog.
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

A member here years ago who's did was a chemist did a study on this very question. the study they did showed nasty stuff starts growing and is fully valid in less than 72 hours. Bacteria usually doesn't grow in undiluted shampoos because of preseratives in the product but diluted these grow unchecked. I do not keep or use diluted shampoos other than when I dilute as I am using with a BB. My choice. Something you might do also, is to use peroxide to rinse out the bottles, caps etc...Peroxide can be dilute too for this. I use it to clean out the BB, also vinegar is great for changing the ph which will prevent many bacteria from growing....just give it a try around your tub, sprayers, bottles, etc...you'd be surprised at what bubbles up...

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
        I wouldnt do it. I would mix my shampoo into DRIED bottles that had been disinfected the day before. I would NOT Let it sit overnight, not just for bacteria but TEMPERATURE, as I cannot abide using cold shampoo on a dog.
        This.

Comment

You guys are overreacting. Unless the shampoo bottle sits outside in the sun for a period of time, there should not be any bacteria forming in a mixing bottle that's used daily and whether or not it's dry or rinsed out. Like what was said, I would not want to use cold shampoo on a first bath. But mixing the night before to save time should not be an issue. A shop is climate controlled and doesn't pose a problem mixing shampoo for 24 hours or less.

Comment

I personally wouldn't, but it sounds like you could even compromise here. Measure your shampoo into the mixing bottle at days end and leave it undiluted. Next morning just add the warm water. Still a time saver, but not taking any chances on bacteria. Just be sure you have duplicate bottles to switch between every other day for disinfecting purposes.

Comment

It's the cold shampoo I am agreeing with. I wouldn't want to dump cold water on my body, even if my room is climate controlled and I'm standing in a hot shower. I've literally left mixed shampoo in a bottle under my kitchen sink for when my dogs do something gross, or a bitch is in heat, for months and it never got yucky.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                It's the cold shampoo I am agreeing with. I wouldn't want to dump cold water on my body, even if my room is climate controlled and I'm standing in a hot shower. I've literally left mixed shampoo in a bottle under my kitchen sink for when my dogs do something gross, or a bitch is in heat, for months and it never got yucky.
                I agree with Cockerlvr....never had shampoo go bad after premixing.......but a warm bucket of water with shampoo bottles in bucket will warm the premixed shampoo quickly. I always premix the night before or use my favorite Chubbs Bar......no mixing.
                Last edited by Cyn; 02-24-16, 03:21 PM.
                Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I do not have this problem since I have a bathing system....fill tub with a couple of gallons of warm water, add on generous squirt of concentrated shampoo, turn on the system = one clean dog..........I did Goggle search on this problem and this might help some of your groomers that still hand wash dogs.

http://www.doublekindustries.com/grooming_tips.php

If you want to save time and money, plus do more dogs a day.......invest in a bathing system.

Happy moving into the 21st century

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

My Wagn Tails van and my other vans have the bathing system you speak of, Dolly. The system is not ideal in all situations. You do need a mixing bottle around especially if you use separate facial shampoos or whitening for feet, etc. I found any single dog bath that's under 10 pounds, the system is not worth using because you will use (waste) more water getting the system primed and you need a good squirt of concentrated shampoo to get the system to circulate the shampoo through the pipes and pump back to your nozzle.

For small dogs, I always use the bottle. By the time you fill enough water in the tub and get it going, I'm done washing the small dog with half a mixing bottle. For med/lg dogs, the system is beneficial to save water, shampoo and your hands themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                      I agree with Cockerlvr....never had shampoo go bad after premixing.......but a warm bucket of water with shampoo bottles in bucket will warm the premixed shampoo quickly. I always premix the night before or use my favorite Chubbs Bar......no mixing.

This right here right down to letting the bottle sit in a bucket of hot water to warm it. It keeps it nice and warm, so no cold application. The reason I don't just put the undiluted shampoo in the bottle ahead of time and then add water the next morning is because I prefer to put the water in first and then the shampoo because suds, and I guess I don't have enough patience to dribble the water in to avoid that.

I also have a recirculating bathing system, but I'm not really a one size fits all kinda gal. Some dogs I like to hand wash, and some I like to use the bathing system.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                        My Wagn Tails van and my other vans have the bathing system you speak of, Dolly. The system is not ideal in all situations. You do need a mixing bottle around especially if you use separate facial shampoos or whitening for feet, etc. I found any single dog bath that's under 10 pounds, the system is not worth using because you will use (waste) more water getting the system primed and you need a good squirt of concentrated shampoo to get the system to circulate the shampoo through the pipes and pump back to your nozzle.

For small dogs, I always use the bottle. By the time you fill enough water in the tub and get it going, I'm done washing the small dog with half a mixing bottle. For med/lg dogs, the system is beneficial to save water, shampoo and your hands themselves.
                        Totally agree! Not to mention getting rid of the suds.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post

We certainly groom in different worlds.........

I always park in the street with my right tires in the ditch of the street, slightly tilting the van towards the side of the Super Sudser bathing system's drain. On small dogs, the opposite side of the tub is not holding any water......so clearly I'm not using (wasting) huge amounts of water. When I ordered my 2011 Pro, I requested that they put in a Super Sudser drain on BOTH sides of the tub, just in case the terrain doesn't allow a tilt on the right side.

About priming your system.........it only takes 12 oz to get water from the drain thru the system and out the nozzle......I measure this every winter morning when I'm starting to clear out the antifreeze in the system. Of course I continue to run clear water thru the system, but it only takes a very small amount to get the system pushing the water.

Yes, I too have a separate bottle of tearless shampoo for face/head.........it is filled up every other day......no problem in 8 years of any bacteria problems.

Happy grooming on Venus and not on Mars

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                            Totally agree! Not to mention getting rid of the suds.

Well.......I suggest you don't use so much shampoo to acquire so much suds.....or spray your dirty suds with a product called Suds Out by Davis.

Happy grooming on sudsy Pluto

Comment

Since shampoo is cheap and the amount of time needed to dilute it is seconds, I'm going with the "don't dilute and keep overnight" gang, because why not That way, if an owner wants to blame me for her cat's pre-existing skin condition, I can honestly say that I only use products according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Comment

Working...
                              X