Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So tired of working for mean people how do I start my own business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So tired of working for mean people how do I start my own business?

The new boss that I work for is so hateful to me that I just dread coming into work. I would like to start my own business but I don't know where to begin. I don't have enough money for a brick and mortar shop at this time. Are there any other options? I have to do something and fast. I don't tolerate cruel people very well, and feel like this new job is going to make be lose my mind and send me into a deep depression. Have any of you ever worked for someone who is just highly critical of everything you do? What is their problem?

Why don't you just try to find a different salon to work at?

Comment

Check out the housecall grooming forum. That's the cheapest, quickest way to be totally on your own. You can also look into a booth rental somewhere. Then you'd schedule your own clients as an independent contractor. There's a ton of information on this site. Do some searches! Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I really don't know what to do at this point. I really need to know if this has ever happened to anyone else or if I am alone in this? I feel so very depressed. Also she criticizes everything I do...it has madee question whether I can actually groom or not. Please if there is anyone who has had similar experiences it would help me not feel so alone. It's not that easy to find a job otherwise I would have already gottwn another one.

Comment

Are you in a small town with limited shops? What about 30 minutes away? What about an hour away?

Comment

Housecall, as suggested, or possibly working for a mobile franchise are options.

Comment

I've worked for many vets. One vet I worked for had his wife in charge of everything. You couldn't do ANYTHING right! I was the kennel girl and she said I couldn't even clean kennels correctly. Oh come on! I've been cleaning up after dogs since I was 8!

Life is too short to work for people like that. I started my own business.

So, your not alone. I think most of us have had those people in our lives. They are there to push us on to our next adventure!

Comment

Oh..my heart feels so sad for you. I worked for an attorney like that when I was 20. Very mean and snarky and when he messed up he would yell at me in front of clients to cover his mistake.. I was young and taught to respect my elders so I took it for a year and a half. I began to feel totally inept and incapable of doing anything properly. I had just gotten married....and one day my husband said enough!!!! Today, I wouldn't stand for that kind of treatment 2 seconds...there is no reason to be mean even when correcting someone.... Is it possible for you to work from home?.

Comment

Originally posted by Countrygrl View Post
                  Oh..my heart feels so sad for you. I worked for an attorney like that when I was 20. Very mean and snarky and when he messed up he would yell at me in front of clients to cover his mistake.. I was young and taught to respect my elders so I took it for a year and a half. I began to feel totally inept and incapable of doing anything properly. I had just gotten married....and one day my husband said enough!!!! Today, I wouldn't stand for that kind of treatment 2 seconds...there is no reason to be mean even when correcting someone.... Is it possible for you to work from home?.
                  I would love to work from home, but it's not possible right now...I need more of my own equipment and I hardly make enough as it is. I have not cried this much in years... It is making me sick and I know I've got to get out of there. Jobs are so scarce and I am having so much trouble finding another one. I'm glad I'm not alone though...I also feel completely inept and all my confidence in grooming has been completely taken from me. I an still very new to grooming and she knows that. She is not an understanding person.

Are there red flags I should lookout for if I get an interview with someone else?

Comment

You are not the only person in the world who has worked for a mean boss. Believe me, many many many many many many other people have had the misfortune to work for a real jerk. The good news is that you're not a slave. Eventually you'll get another job. This jerky boss will be a distant memory.
                    The thing is, if you really don't believe you have skills, then it may not matter who you work for. Have you had an objective person(s) evaluate your work? Everyone, including me for sure, has room for improvement. So even if it turned out that your skills weren't great at this time, you've got a lifetime to improve. It's not like you're doomed to forever be at the same skill level you're at now.
                    Do you get exercise and eat well? You sound like you're digging yourself a depression hole and jumping in. Not being mean -- just a reminder that she doesn't rule your life unless you want her to do that.
                    House call can be fun. You don't need much in the way of equipment.
                    Good luck. You'll get past this.

Comment

What equipment do you currently have? Could you get a job outside of grooming for now (just to pay the bills and buy more equipment )and start a house call business on the side on your off time til you build it up? When you are in the midst of the storm it is hard to see the horizon. Hang in there......eat right and sleep right.....if you are becoming clinically depressed you may to visit the Dr., for temporary medication. There is no shame in this. If you become clinically depressed(I have been there) it is very hard to pull yourself out of that without help and this women is not helping....keep us posted. Sending you a hug and prayer!

Comment

Ok. Keep this online when your current boss is nasty and mean -
                        all bullies are basically cowards.
                        Your boss is nasty because he/ she is afraid - of losing the business., of you being better( or just being you get), or if something not even related to business, and on and on).
                        I once worked in an office with a nasty and vindictively vicious woman. She was only 'happy ' when every one around her was afraid of losing their jobs. When I found out that she was an emotionally abused wife it gave me the strength to stand up to her - not because she was suddenly vulnerable but because I suddenly realized that this was just trickle down bullying. She couldn't effect me anymore. My internalized strength made her back off and start to treat me with some mild respect since she could see a difference but couldn't figure out what or where it came from.

If you can't stand to be there full time look for a part time job doing anything else ( try Starbucks - good benefits for 20 hours a week) while you look for another grooming job anywhere else. Don't be silly and walk out without having something but set your mind to being in a better place and then take the steps to get there.
                        We're all here to listen and help but you have the hard part. Good luck and stay in touch

Comment

Starting a business takes money, a little or a lot, but clientele is essential of course. Can you find another shop or corporate or anything else until you save enough?

Comment

Look into a corporate store if any are near! They're always looking to hire people, and it will be better than your current situation. While working at Corp sucks for most groomers it will give you a chance to improve your grooming skills and customer service. Than in a year or two you could either open your own place or find a different shop to work at.
                            I'm sure everyone here has, at some point in time, worked for a boss that was a complete jerk.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Even if you were going to open a business year from now I would write a business plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X