Cancellations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancellations

I just got a job at a pet store as the new groomer. I just graduated grooming school in December so this is my first grooming job. It's just me in the back doing everything including the scheduling. 3 people have not shown up. No phone calls, nothing. They just don't show up.

Any advice on what to do with clients like that? It's not like I could call for reminders because they either called the day before or literally that day. Right now I'm sitting on my table waiting on someone who should have been here half an hour ago. Luckily I don't have any other grooms today otherwise I'd be screwed. I'm new at this and need help pls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT: I called them half an hour after their scheduled appointment but the didn't pick up. I left a message asking if they were still coming in, because I had them down for 11:30. No call back yet.

Well there are several questions I ask on a regular basis for all new clients. Telephone, name , last apt etc.. etc... I also let them know to please be timely. It affects other apts. 15 minutes with a call from them saying they are running late ok. Willc still do. After that no call no show. They still get a client card filled out with a notation of what happened. 2 times is all it takes with me. I have very awesome clients . And ones that show up on time to an apt are all I need. Others are welcome to go elsewhere. Non refundablr Credit card fee of $25 to hold all new spots would be something to think about

Comment

Unfortunately, that happens, especially with new groomers. I had quite a few no shows when I first opened my salon. Yes, it is frustrating, but concentrate on treating customers who DO show up right and eventually you will build up enough clientele you can rely on. In the meantime, bring your grooming books to your salon so you can read while waiting, or clean your blades, make some bows, use time productively and don't get too stressed out over it.
      (By the way, people who don't show and don't call and don't answer my calls get "blacklisted" - if they ever try to make appointment it will be several weeks wait and it will definitely be he last appointment of the day, so if they don't show up again at least I wouldn't have "hole" in the middle of the day. And after second no-show it's over, no more appointments)

Comment

Originally posted by The Dusty Muzzle View Post
        And ones that show up on time to an apt are all I need. Others are welcome to go elsewhere. Non refundablr Credit card fee of $25 to hold all new spots would be something to think about

That's a good idea. If people keep bailing on me I'll bring it up to my boss

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
          (By the way, people who don't show and don't call and don't answer my calls get "blacklisted" - if they ever try to make appointment it will be several weeks wait and it will definitely be he last appointment of the day, so if they don't show up again at least I wouldn't have "hole" in the middle of the day. And after second no-show it's over, no more appointments)
          Oh wow okay yeah that's actually a really good idea; I didn't think of that. I've been writing things on the cards regarding how early/late they were for their appointment. So far I have 3 no show's and one person canceled last minute.

Comment

We have all our dogs come in in the morning. I have a one hour window for drop-off times.This way, I know right away if there is a no-show. Those that haven't arrived within that hour get a phone call. I will leave them a message, giving them an hour to arrive.
            All dogs will be in the shop by 11a.m.

This way I know if I can call in a client off the cancellation list. I also know the condition of the ALL the dogs....I don't have a "oh my gawd....they said it was a sheltie....not a matted Collie!!!" situation at 3 in the afternoon.

Since you are just starting out, this would be a good way to schedule your day. If only one dog shows up, you can go home by Noon-1pm. Your employer won't have to pay you for the time your just sitting waiting for dogs. (You do know that you have to make at least miniumum wage while your sitting and waiting don't you? )

As your business builds and your clients become more stable, you can switch the scheduling to XXXX amount of dogs throughout the day, if you like. (I personally don't like that kind of schedule....I don't like dirty dogs showing up at 1-2pm....but that's me. Others don't like all their dogs in first thing in the morning. You'll learn what works for you)

At this time...since you are brand new, I wouldn't get an attitude. I wouldn't get an "I'll show YOU" attitude. You can get that when you have more dogs then you know what to do with.

And, since you are just out of school, book yourself lightly....if you were working at my shop, you wouldn't get more then 3 dogs to start, and two would be bath dogs.

And as ABDG said, "treat the clients you DO have like gold" If you do that, you'll have plenty of good clients in no time!

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
              We have all our dogs come in in the morning. I have a one hour window for drop-off times.This way, I know right away if there is a no-show. Those that haven't arrived within that hour get a phone call. I will leave them a message, giving them an hour to arrive.
              All dogs will be in the shop by 11a.m.

This way I know if I can call in a client off the cancellation list. I also know the condition of the ALL the dogs....I don't have a "oh my gawd....they said it was a sheltie....not a matted Collie!!!" situation at 3 in the afternoon.

Since you are just starting out, this would be a good way to schedule your day. If only one dog shows up, you can go home by Noon-1pm. Your employer won't have to pay you for the time your just sitting waiting for dogs. (You do know that you have to make at least miniumum wage while your sitting and waiting don't you? )
              Hmm, that's definitely a different way of scheduling that I could try, but my room is so small I only have 2 medium sized cages. When I'm not working I'm helping out on the floor and working the register & handing out business cards trying to get the word out.

Comment

Originally posted by dmdogcare View Post
                Hmm, that's definitely a different way of scheduling that I could try, but my room is so small I only have 2 medium sized cages. When I'm not working I'm helping out on the floor and working the register & handing out business cards trying to get the word out.

How small is the room and what all is in there besides groom table and two cages.....tub?
                Last edited by Cyn; 02-10-16, 02:49 PM. Reason: my phone thinks it knows what I want to say, lol
                Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                  How small is the room and what all is in there besides groom table and to cages.....tub?
                  Table, 2 cages, a small rolling cart with my stuff on it, shelves that are too high up for me to reach, a tub, a giant vacuum that I don't have a use for, and a giant garbage can for dirty towels. I tripped 5x today trying to move around lol

Comment

Originally posted by dmdogcare View Post
                    Table, 2 cages, a small rolling cart with my stuff on it, shelves that are too high up for me to reach, a tub, a giant vacuum that I don't have a use for, and a giant garbage can for dirty towels. I tripped 5x today trying to move around lol
                    Move out the giant vacuum, move out the giant garbage can and use a small laundry basket for dirty towels. This should help
                    with the tripping, lol. Can you stack 2 more cages on the ones you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                      Move out the giant vacuum, move out the giant garbage can and use a small laundry basket for dirty towels. This should help
                      with the tripping, lol. Can you stack 2 more cages on the ones you have?
                      I'd love to move those things out, but unfortunately, my boss doesn't want any extra stuff in the back closets. They're the black wire cages so I'm not sure if they can be stacked. They were when I went in but it didn't seem stable especially if the dog on the top cage leans against the side I don't want it to make them all tip over. Oh and I figured out how to move the shelves to my height level so now I have more storage space and I'm excited about that

Comment

Those cage s can definately be stacked. If you feel uncomfortable with any wiggly Ness just zip tie (trim ends and move cut piece so dogs dont scratches themselves. ) the wires together. I normally use a rubber backed bath mat for my pet guests when they are finished, for cushion. Who would want to sit on hard plastic? Harbor freight also has moving dollies to raise kennels off floor so they are easy to move come cleaning time. definitely zip tie those and remove carpet then paint if desired. Good luck to you

Comment

And out the vacuum n the oversize trash can and stick the big thing in s corner with a top on it to use as a space to dry small dogs or for your extra tools. Be creative but make that space work for YOU. If you trip and drop your tools or s dog it's in your head not your boss. Talk to him about safety issues ( aka liability ) as a way to clear your space.

Comment

Yes those cages can be stacked. Put a board between layers of cages and tie them all together......they will NOT move.
                            Remind boss of OSHA requirements. ......have him move the trash can and big vacuum out to meet OSHA standards.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dusty Muzzle View Post
                              Those cage s can definately be stacked. If you feel uncomfortable with any wiggly Ness just zip tie (trim ends and move cut piece so dogs dont scratches themselves. ) the wires together. I normally use a rubber backed bath mat for my pet guests when they are finished, for cushion. Who would want to sit on hard plastic? Harbor freight also has moving dollies to raise kennels off floor so they are easy to move come cleaning time. definitely zip tie those and remove carpet then paint if desired. Good luck to you
                              I didn't think of using zip ties, thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                              X