trying to Open A grooming School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to Open A grooming School

Hi would like to open up a grooming school I want to know how to go about it. I already have a facility I would just like to know what paperwork or who I need to speak to to make my facility, an accredited grooming school I'm in NY. What what licenses do I need? Thank you please give me an advice and any information that may help.

There is very little out there. www.goldenpaws.com has a program.

Comment

thank you i will check them out. But what if I wanted to start my own with out using previously started Company how would i go about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tailzmobilegps View Post
        thank you i will check them out. But what if I wanted to start my own with out using previously started Company how would i go about it?
        You need to speak with the city and get all the permits, license and insurances. Find out why the other schools in New York have closed down, etc.

Comment

You also needs to plan on where the dogs are coming from. I strongly doubt that if you run a regular salon they would be ok with students working on dogs. Are you aware of any of the challenges of working with people with no experience or difficult personalities, etc. ( I was an instructor very recently as a fill in) be aware that it's not just free labor for the salon. Look into the franchise. Your state may require tons and tons of paperwork monthly to run a school, you have to follow standards and laws to be a school. I'm just being as open and honest from my experience working as a fill in at a school for 3 months.

Comment

In all but perhaps 1 or 2 states schools must be state licensed. You need to call your state government and ask what department provides that licensing. You must tell them you are to open a state licensed vocational education school, usually understood as private postsecondary school.

They will provide you with an informational package stating what is required. I have actually walked people through this some years ago. It might be 2 weeks of work in one state, and in another that I helped on the West Coast it took MONTHS, a full business plan, you have to create all the forms for attendance, contracts with students, create your file cabinet for inspection I could go on and on, but that is the most complicated states. They will give you all the rules, for example, a grooming teacher in one state must have been a groomer for at least 3 full years before they are considered experienced enough to teach that position. You will likely need a curriculum plan, hour by hour what training is provided. Most of this is to protect students, that's why some states are hugely complicated, there have been problems with school owners so more and more and more laws. One I did I even had to measure the size of the text on all written materials handed to students because in the past some school owner made the print so small the rights of consumers (students) couldn't be read clearly!! Really. Start there, see what your state's package says.

Comment

Maybe focus on continuing education instead of new groomers? Instead of a school, host a workshop through NDGAA. Invite top groomers from the area to do demos and answer questions.

We don't need more groomers, we need to educate the ones we already have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I was involved with starting & running a travel school through a community college. It was their license, advertising. Because it was "not for credit" 3-term course, we set the price & curriculum & conducted classes at our facility. It was not cheap. Just another Avenue to investigate.

Comment

Good idea Tuckie this has happened in a very few spots in Northeast.

Comment

Working...
                  X