Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel really bad and kinda scared to use both speeds on m y k9 II dryer on dogs..am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel really bad and kinda scared to use both speeds on m y k9 II dryer on dogs..am

Over reacting? And I'm scared to give them seizures. I don't know why I'm suddenly so paranoid now about it, I'm mobile and getting them dry is important and so is time

You sound like a very young, unexperienced groomer out on her own.......which is not preferable for most first time groomers. New groomers do best in a salon setting with other groomers around to encourage and help thru the initial learning stages. Use the low speed for heads and ears, making sure you cover the nose and ear canal with your hand, then turn on both motors for the rest of dog....you will not put any healthy dog into a seizure. Make sure you are wearing ear protection since the noise level is elevated in a small space.

Happy speed drying

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I don't worry too much about it. Generally, if it is an older dog or a dog that is prone to seizures, I will use on low or without the nozzle. However, I use on high/with nozzle on any other dog I need to, and just watch the dogs behavior. If they are getting antsy, I take the nozzle off or switch to low. As you get closer to the neck and head, take the nozzle off. I have had a few dogs have these dryer seizures, all you have to do is stop drying, wait for them to calm down for a few minutes, and it's like nothing happened. Tell the client what happened, and change the way you dry the dog from that point on.

Comment

Originally posted by kaida714 View Post
        I don't worry too much about it. Generally, if it is an older dog or a dog that is prone to seizures, I will use on low or without the nozzle. However, I use on high/with nozzle on any other dog I need to, and just watch the dogs behavior. If they are getting antsy, I take the nozzle off or switch to low. As you get closer to the neck and head, take the nozzle off. I have had a few dogs have these dryer seizures, all you have to do is stop drying, wait for them to calm down for a few minutes, and it's like nothing happened. Tell the client what happened, and change the way you dry the dog from that point on.
        ^^^^^This^^^^^^
        Although I use a Double K dual motor dryer, instead of a K9 dryer. I also find IF they are gonna seize, it will be when drying neck and chest area....only have 2 now that will sieze ( poodley dogs ). Keep notes on how dogs react with dryer (s).
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Agreed. Also (and you may be doing this already), I always start with the air directed at the back leg and work my way forward to help gauge how a dog will respond/react to the HV blower. I do this with both motors and when approaching the head, cut back to one motor. I always have a towel in my other hand to catch water and softly support whatever I am drying from behind. I also agree that removing the cone nozzle is less stressful on fearful dogs and is especially useful around heads.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^in every step.

Comment

I watch when i turn it on low for their reaction and slowly work up from the back, but If the dog seems stressed, I'm going to always towel and fan dry it even if it takes longer, I've never had a seizure occur during grooming thankfully.

Comment

Well I'm with you. I really dislike using the dryer on two speeds. I rarely do it. Huge, thick double coats, and cockers.
                And only for a short time enough to blow out the dog, then I switch to one. That's it. Everyone else gets one motor. I just find it too abrasive? Not sure that's exactly the word I'm looking for.

It makes about two or three minutes difference on drying, so I don't see the point.

Seizures can happen with one motor. They are going to or not going to, so don't worry about that.

Comment

Older over 10 Bichons and poodles a lot will dryer seize even on low with HV Dryers. I am mobile and I dry with a hand held hair dryer and chargr more for the extra time it takes to dry a dog that dryer seizes.

Comment

http://groomwise.typepad.com/groomin...-seizures.html

I talked about how to stop them in here.
                    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Cotton balls can get stuck in the ears. I have had dogs almost chock with happy hoodies too tight around throat. To me just as easy to use a hand held dryer. I do not groom dogs over 20 lbs.

Comment

I also use cotton balls in the ears, haven't had a single dryer seizure since I started doing that, and I dry almost all dogs on high.

Comment

Originally posted by poodlecsigreen View Post
                          Cotton balls can get stuck in the ears. I have had dogs almost chock with happy hoodies too tight around throat.
                          Make sure you are using your tools properly. A happy hoodie of the right size, used correctly, would never choke a dog.

OP, just do your research, keep asking questions and voicing your concerns, you will learn and become more comfortabe. There is always something to learn in this industry, just don't get discouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by poodlecsigreen View Post
                            Cotton balls can get stuck in the ears. I have had dogs almost chock with happy hoodies too tight around throat. To me just as easy to use a hand held dryer. I do not groom dogs over 20 lbs.
                            20 years...never once heard of cotton getting s tuck in ears. Happy hoodi e's chokng dogs??? Really??? Working harder is a great way to burn out. Millions of dogs evergsy use both. Never heard if an issue.
                            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I see the K9 3 is now variable speed, that might help you.

Comment

Working...
                              X