has anyone done this????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone done this????

I've been contemplating the idea of starting a business similar to a beauty salon that rents out spaces to the stylists............. only for groomers, obviously. I have many ideas floating around, but I can't seem to find any grooming shops that do this. There are a lot of details that would go into it, but I really think it could be cool and a great business venture if done right. Yes, I am a groomer (of 11yrs) so I know the industry, but this I have not seen. Does anyone have any insight on this idea or know of a shop that does this. Just curious.
    Squirt

The school that I went to does that. Part of the building is the school and the other part contracted groomers. They pay her $500 a month and she provides the equipment, shampoos etc. They must have their own clippers, scissors, etc they are also required to have Insurance It is working great for all involved
    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
    Nancy

Comment

that is a good idea for someone that can't or does not want their own shop, but also they work for themselves.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I'm from the salon industry!

Hi, I am changing over from the salon industry to the pet grooming industry. I just happen to have owned a salon where I rented out individual stations or rooms to the technicians. I think that this concept can work, but income wise you are limited of course to your rental income. Each of my renters was responsible for getting their own lisences and managing their own areas or rooms, appointments and clients. Some issues that I had to handle were: when I was not in the salon, it was difficult to get the renters to want to handle the salon retail sales eventhough I gave them a percentage. None of the renters had the same extra high standard of cleanliness that I did. Eventhough I placed rules in their lease, I could not supervise them in their private rented out areas to the extent that I would have liked, to be sure that they upheld my standard of sanitation. Also Everyone has different technical abilities. It was difficult to not be able to train those working in my salon to perform their work consistantly and to my standards. This created a salon with workers who had wildly varying styles and abilities. The renters all used different products and brands. It was harder to maintain a dress code since they did not work for me. My renters expected me to supply them with clients from the salon even though they were independant. When I sent clients to the renters, at times the clients would return to me with service complaints. To avoid a bad reputation for the salon on several occasions I re-did the services for no charge as a last resort. Clients were confused because they knew that I was the owner of the salon, but did not understand that the workers were independant, even though I had a sign posted stating that each of the technicians was independant and ran their own business. Because they were independant, each renter had their own price list and services. I was very successful in my salon, but if I were to do it over again, I would have hired the technicains to work for me so that I could have much more control over my busness and those who worked there, Be able to maintain a much more consistant high standard of service in my salon as well as be able to make much more money. When it comes to renting space in a salon, I think that the owner is trading way too much control for the hope of not managing employees. I do think that possibly the rental concept would work better in more of a beauty mall type of setting. In a beauty mall type of setting it is obvious to the clients that they are entering an independant business for each technician and the relationship is more of a tenant/landlord relationship. Hope that this info is hlpful to you! Good luck!

Comment

This would certainly beat the heck out of the 50% commission many good groomers get. I honestly believe that the straight commission mentality stifles many people from staying with this career. The salary is low for so long and many people don't have the resources to go it on their own. I started my own shop seven months ago after working for commission for 20+ years. When I first started grooming I did NOT make MINIMUM wage until I had groomed for OVER 2 years. That's just wrong! I worked long hard hours while someone else reaped the rewards, no incentives, no benefits. Granted not all proprietors are that way but where I was employed they were. I would have jumped at the chance to pay a flat rate. Some beautician clients that have followed me have been shocked to learn that we groomers don't pay a flat booth rental rate. Hope I am not stepping over here but am very anxious to hear all opinions on this topic.

Comment

I have always been reluntant to have other groomers work in my shop, because I feel that my standards of what I expect I am afraid that they would not be able to meet, and most groomers here don't have their own clientel. Right now my older daughter works with me, but she has her own clientel and her standards of grooming at times are higher than mine. I have a hard time working with my younger daughter, as she already knows everything, and has since she was 2 years old.

When I was grooming mgr. at a petsomething I had a hard time, because I wanted other groomers to have higher standards than they did, and be cleaner than they were. I, a few times found myself going back over dogs after a groomer left and cleaning up after groomers all the time. That was enough for me to have second thoughts about having other groomers in my shop.

Comment

I think you do have to be careful about doing it this way. I think this would be an independant contractor. You must be very careful about following your states guidelines for this. I think that is what has deterred groomers or shop owners from doing this. I had thought about it, but after talking to my insurance company, it's very complex and didn't want to bother.

Comment

Just my perspective, as a consumer. When I go to a hair salon I have a level of expectation. When I was younger I would go to some of the mall, franchise places where the stylists would work either by paying rent for the space or taking a cut of what the haircut cost was (ie, not a full employee of the salon.) Currently I go to a salon that has employees. My expectations from both, not being in the industry, are different. I would currently expect the salon to honor any complaints, praise or questions I have. The salon name goes with the haircut. At the other place, it doesn't.

I don't know that many folks would make that distinction from a grooming salon. It's a great idea, but it would have to be made clear through marketing or something that ... there would be some public education so that if there's a groomer who's not up to your standards, it's not entirely on the salon.

Comment

Ditto Bearmtn

I've always feared the same, that they wouldn't hold to my standards of grooming or dog care, or just work ethic. I had the oppurtunity to have someone come to my shop, or me go to someone elses, but I'm glad I didn't. I knew the groomer, and though he was good to the dogs, I DID NOT like the way his dogs looked going out the door. Which is another issue. People outside your shop don't know that there are 2 businesses under your roof, so they see a dog leaving that doesn't look great and they think, "don't go there, they're horrible groomers."

I think it can work in an ideal setting, but make sure you cover all your bases in your contract, and that you approve 100% of their grooming abilities. These are my fears in wanting to hire someone as well, so I don't think it's restricted to just renting space out, both sides pose problems.
                  Erin
                  No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Some very interesting and important issues have been interjected here. The question of high standards is paramount whether the shingle outside says "my business" or "my rented booths"! As a very busy new business owner myself the thought of adding a groomer under my roof posses these same questions. I would just like to see a more fair way to manage new groomers and encourgage more beginning groomers to stay with this career.

Comment

thats why I think its better if you pay the groomers by the hour...train them to groom your way, and have total control of the situation. for me, it would be less stress, well hello...thats what I need lol

Comment

Stress?

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                        thats why I think its better if you pay the groomers by the hour...train them to groom your way, and have total control of the situation. for me, it would be less stress, well hello...thats what I need lol
                        I'm not so sure about less stress, but definately more control! Ha Ha!

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by Bearmtn View Post
                          I have always been reluntant to have other groomers work in my shop, because I feel that my standards of what I expect I am afraid that they would not be able to meet, and most groomers here don't have their own clientel. Right now my older daughter works with me, but she has her own clientel and her standards of grooming at times are higher than mine. I have a hard time working with my younger daughter, as she already knows everything, and has since she was 2 years old.

When I was grooming mgr. at a petsomething I had a hard time, because I wanted other groomers to have higher standards than they did, and be cleaner than they were. I, a few times found myself going back over dogs after a groomer left and cleaning up after groomers all the time. That was enough for me to have second thoughts about having other groomers in my shop.
                          This is how I feel. I am going to pass on hiring others for quite a while, if I ever do it again. I have crunched the numbers and feel that I can make a nice living working on my own in dog grooming. It will be so nice to just worry about myself and the clients and do what I love.

Comment

Well, I want to thank all of you for your replys!! So, so helpful..... I suppose there are always going to be pros and cons with each business. Part of me would like to open my own shop with me doing the grooming,(i've only ever worked for someone else) but it can only go just so far and make just so much money with one person. That's why this idea was a little more intriguing.

The idea of hiring employee's does not sound fun to me, especially since I've seen it first hand at each shop I've worked at. I just don't know why it's so hard to find good groomers!?!?
                            I guess I'm tired of working so hard and barely making anything. I'm also clashing just a bit with the owner in pricing. She has a really difficult time in raising prices and it's a bit frustrating. She doesn't need to be the most expensive groomer in town, but at least have confidence to charge what you're worth. I absolutely love what I do, which is why I'm still doing it, but lately I'm just frustrated with more and more little things. Does that mean I need to go out on my own, who knows. The reason I have never even wanted to do that is because I see how stressed out these owners are.... always! Almost to the point where they don't even enjoy what they do anymore. I don't want that. Does it just happen to be the 3 I've worked for or are all dog grooming shop owners stressed??
                            Well, I'm just venting now so I'll zip it and think some more on this idea of my own shop. Thanks for takin' the time to read.
                            Squirt

Comment

What if it were like a groomer's Mall and they were all IC's?
                              Making Central Florida Pawsitively Purrfect since 2005.

Comment

Working...
                              X