Critiquing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critiquing

Hi....I would love some opinions on these pics so I can improve my grooming skills. My clients like my grooms, but I don't really work with other groomers and I would love to hear what you all think.

The doodle...he is a regular client of mine, but I wasn't the one who first groomed him, so I have been continuing with the same cut he has been getting. I know it sounds wierd, but I don't always get to talk to my clients due to the way the shop is set up (which drives me crazy!) Anyway his ears are way to thick...and I'm not sure how to thin them out. His fur is so frizzy too. I'm sure a couple of days after his groom it calms down, but any advice would be appreciated.

And for the wheaten, they like her beard long.

Thanks!!Click image for larger version

Name:	Bella.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1138944Click image for larger version

Name:	doodle.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1138945Click image for larger version

Name:	Pumpkin.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1138946Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheaton.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1138947Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheaton2.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1138948Click image for larger version

Name:	Bella.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1138944Click image for larger version

Name:	doodle.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1138945Click image for larger version

Name:	Pumpkin.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1138946Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheaton.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1138947Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheaton2.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1138948

Overall really nice, but the one thing that sticks out to me is all the tops of your heads are quite short in comparison to the beards (not just the wheaten). It looks unbalanced to me.

Comment

"Thinning" out a dogs fur very rarely works out the way we want it to, and I find that when r grows back, the shorter hairs push the longer hairs out, making it look poofier than it was to begin with. You might have better luck shaving the inside of the ear flap, and lightly skimming down from there to take bulk off from where nobody can see it.

Also a nice conditioner might help to tame some of the the frizziness, followed by a spritz of silicone spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The groomer before me began all of the cuts. She used a 4 on their heads and then trimmed the beards. I use a 2 comb on their heads because I think it looks better tHan a 4 blade....and then a 0 on the muzzle....since their beards have always been longer. Maybe I will try running a 2 comb under their muzzles instead?

Comment

Instead I would use a one comb on the top of the heads. They are just too short IMO. It's personal preference of course. You may just want to say to the owners I have a different technique than the last groomer and if you don't like it we can go back.

Agree about the thinning too. That's exactly what my hairdresser does to get my hair to stand up, same thing applies. The shorter hairs will just make the ears stand out more.

Comment

The owner was the previous groomer. But I think she will be open to trying something new. I wish I had a pic of a dog that I did recently. I would normally do the same length guard comb all over the head. Other than the off balance heads....do their muzzles look good?

Comment

This is one that did about I year ago...she was just a puppy
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sobella View Post
                The owner was the previous groomer. But I think she will be open to trying something new. I wish I had a pic of a dog that I did recently. I would normally do the same length guard comb all over the head. Other than the off balance heads....do their muzzles look good?
                When I referred to the owners I meant the owners of the dogs.

Comment

Haha....that makes more sense! But I rarely get to talk to the owners...as odd as that sounds. The way they are set up they get dropped off before I get there and I usu ally leave before they get picked up.

Comment

The short top long beard bothers me as well. I wouldn't mind it so much if the beard were very short. My shop tends to have people that leave beards excessively long and when I came in I got a ton of request clients *because* my grooms had a different look to them and the faces stayed cleaner, longer. I do leave beards long if the owner specifically requests it, but now I just ask people if they'd like a short bead that would stay cleaner longer and 95% of the time that's what they want.

This is an example of what I mean. I do a 0 or 1 comb all around the head if I'm doing a shave down of any length. I will go longer if I'm doing a comb on the body but I rarely go longer than a 3 on the body with scissored legs. Reverse on top of head and chin. Then I take the chin as short as I think will look proportional and then fluff the cheeks and scissor them into a cute modified asian style muzzle. Owners seem to LOVE this style. I haven't had a single complaint.

Comment

Long beards, drooly dogs, ugh. I have one Lhasa I groom that has long beard that I am never to touch, just to even out. I think she looks ridiculous, but her owners apparently don't think so. To be fair, they take great care of her, she comes every 4 weeks and her face is always clean.
                      Anyways, OP, nice grooms. Nice, clean faces, good scissoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                        The short top long beard bothers me as well. I wouldn't mind it so much if the beard were very short. My shop tends to have people that leave beards excessively long and when I came in I got a ton of request clients *because* my grooms had a different look to them and the faces stayed cleaner, longer. I do leave beards long if the owner specifically requests it, but now I just ask people if they'd like a short bead that would stay cleaner longer and 95% of the time that's what they want.

This is an example of what I mean. I do a 0 or 1 comb all around the head if I'm doing a shave down of any length. I will go longer if I'm doing a comb on the body but I rarely go longer than a 3 on the body with scissored legs. Reverse on top of head and chin. Then I take the chin as short as I think will look proportional and then fluff the cheeks and scissor them into a cute modified asian style muzzle. Owners seem to LOVE this style. I haven't had a single complaint.

Do you take a comb to your muzzles or just scissor them? I was taught to take combs to the muzzles, but lately I haven't been happy with the results. I am farther along in my grooming career so I think I am being more....critical of myself?

Comment

Just wanted to say pretty darn good and you got great advice.

Comment

Originally posted by sobella View Post
                            Do you take a comb to your muzzles or just scissor them? I was taught to take combs to the muzzles, but lately I haven't been happy with the results. I am farther along in my grooming career so I think I am being more....critical of myself?
                            I use a comb to skim off hair, set general shape sometimes. But mainly I use chunkers to set my shape then blenders then scissors. Unless really curly coated dog then mostly scissors.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Personally I don't do a comb on muzzles. You are coming along very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X