Recommend a dog food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a dog food

Picking up our new rescue tomorrow. It's been 4 years since we owned a dog. Has anything changed concerning dog foods. Do you recommend grain free, all natural, lamb? What brand is great? Easy to find? What does your dogs eat and do well on? Please help!!

Where do you live? It makes a big difference.

I actually don't feed grain free, mostly because the grain free diets have jacked up protein levels that aren't suitable for my non-working dogs.

I'm a big fan of the Champion Pet's brands- Acana & Orijen; and the Petcurean brands- Go! and Now! Both are easily accessible where I live, from trustworthy companies, with good ingredients.

I fed Innova for a good eight years before it sold to P&G several years ago.... I switched, and shortly after, the food was riddled with recalls and the brand went into the crapper.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfurryfriends View Post
      Picking up our new rescue tomorrow. It's been 4 years since we owned a dog. Has anything changed concerning dog foods. Do you recommend grain free, all natural, lamb? What brand is great? Easy to find? What does your dogs eat and do well on? Please help!!
      Nutro, Merrick, Royal, My dog eats whatever but i've seen best results with foods in that order

Comment

Hi, just picked this guy up. He's perfect! Does anyone like blue buffalo? Nutramax?

Comment

Before switching my saluki to raw when I got my new puppy, I had her on NutriSource. She always did very well on it. Most of the time she was on the performance formulas, but the last year or so I had her on the regular adult formula. Family owned and operated with their own plant. Affordable too.

Comment

Have my little guys on blue weight management. And fed my big guy blue for almost ten years. I like it. It use. To be the one the vets would denigrate since it wasn't certified. It's certified now and they have to change their tunes m

Comment

Thanks! I will try blue buffalo chicken and rice for a few months and see how it goes.

Comment

I prefer turkey over chicken. I use Organix Turkey Veggies and have never seen dogs go as wild for a food. WILD.

Comment

Blue Buffalo has some issues at the manufacturer with consistency. Many people have no issues with it, but a lot of dogs are sensitive to the fluctuation in quality. The food is decent in theory, but how true-to-paper it is can change.

Comment

Originally posted by blingwithfur View Post
                    I prefer turkey over chicken. I use Organix Turkey Veggies and have never seen dogs go as wild for a food. WILD.
                    Hey me too. Vitacost has good price, free shipping when total order is over $49

Comment

No matter what you do grain free is it for me. But I look at labels and if the Diamond company is listed I don't buy. They have bought up companies of good product over years and change ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by violet2 View Post
                        No matter what you do grain free is it for me. But I look at labels and if the Diamond company is listed I don't buy. They have bought up companies of good product over years and change ingredients.
                        Diamond is the worst about doing this. We checked out the Organix dry, thanks!!! Didn't know about them. Dogs scarf it down.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfurryfriends View Post
                          Thanks! I will try blue buffalo chicken and rice for a few months and see how it goes.
                          You may wish to reconsider. Blue Buffalo just paid out $32 Million in settlement and still faces huge lawsuit from Nestle for false labeling. Tests revealed that ingredients in its premium food were not as advertised. Blue blames it on their suppliers. BB advertised its food contained no poultry by-products when it actually did alledgedly making up 25% of the kibble. Just some food for thought. No pun intended.

Sited from;Pet Product news international;February 2016;pg 6
                          It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                          Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Abady is the way to go IMO....

It was developed by a bio-chemist to have the most in bio-available nutrients and is made where it is not extruded at high temperatures as kibble is so there is no loss of valuable vitamins and minerals that need to be sprayed back on. At the very least their website is a wealth of information on what to look for in a food and what to avoid.
                            http://www.abadyfeeds.com/
                            It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                            Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Fromms is a good food and affordable. They still manufacture their own food too. Diamond and Blue Buffalo has had histories of recalls.

Comment

Working...
                              X