Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can be done to assist proper regrowth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can be done to assist proper regrowth?

New customer wants to regrow coat. What, if any, steps are there to assist in proper regrowth of a double coat shaved with a #4. First time it's been shaved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

First off, the dog needs to be on a high quality food and make sure there are no health problems that could contribute to skin and coat problems. If there is anything you can do to help I would say use tea tree shampoo (the tea tree can help with regrowth) and good conditioner and keep the undercoat brushed out very regularly. There is no guarantee that anything will make a difference, but I have seen some results using tea tree shampoo on dogs that are also on a good diet.

Comment

Regular brushing at home to prevent undercoat from clogging the follicles and stunting the guard hair's growth. And a monthly bath to remove dirt and oil that could clog the follicles. It takes time to get the coat to regrow, barring any underlying health conditions.

Comment

Sorry, nothing can be done. Damage is done. It will in most cases never be the same growth. Also if the dog was fixed, it will also not allow proper coat to grow.

Comment

Although I don't shave, I do think a double coat can be rehabilitated most of the time. It takes time for the guard hairs to grow (often over a year) and proper coat care which means removing undercoat. Also what kind of dog was it. Shaving a profusely undercoated dog like a Sheltie or a Pom is asking for sickly & ugly when it grows out as opposed to some other dogs. Time and proper grooming. IMO

Comment

From my experience, a dog with a good coat before shaving grows back a good coat after shaving. A dog with a bad coat before shaving grows back with a bad coat after shaving (but may be more noticeable than it was before)

Comment

Good diet and patience. But the sad truth is it may never come back in correctly

Comment

I must agree with IrishSetterTom on this. It may regrow, but usually comes back more coarse and fuzzy that before. If it is a ChowChow or Pomeranian, there may be post clipping alopecia.

Comment

BBird Articles on this Topic

What We Know and Don't Know About Canine Hair Growth

http://petgroomermagazine.com/articl...r-not-to-clip/

To Clip or Not to Clip

http://petgroomermagazine.com/articl...e-hair-growth/
                  Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

I don't know if I've ever seen an undercoated dog grow back the same way that it was before.

One of my favourite little dogs is a rescue unknown mix whose mom was a poodle, but resembles a small golden. Another shop shaved him with a #5 which crushed my soul. For about 6 months, he was fuzzy and stupid looking with his undercoat staying at the #5 blade length and his undercoat and top coat not matching. It's been about a year now, and he has all his guard hairs and undercoat back, but the growth pattern is completely different before (still grows outwards instead of flat) and the colour has not returned.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
                      I don't know if I've ever seen an undercoated dog grow back the same way that it was before.

One of my favourite little dogs is a rescue unknown mix whose mom was a poodle, but resembles a small golden. Another shop shaved him with a #5 which crushed my soul. For about 6 months, he was fuzzy and stupid looking with his undercoat staying at the #5 blade length and his undercoat and top coat not matching. It's been about a year now, and he has all his guard hairs and undercoat back, but the growth pattern is completely different before (still grows outwards instead of flat) and the colour has not returned.
                      Chances are it would have changed ANYWAY seeing as how the dog is a rescue and a mix (with poodle in it no less) and was likely altered young as a result. There is no science unfortunatley to back up ANY OF THIS. Its all anecdotal. I have seen many many coats gtrow back fully with enough time (often two years or so) because you are cutting DEAD FIBERS and once those fibers fall out and are replaced by new ones there is nothing there that was damaged before by the cutting. Its just that the lifecycle of some hairs is years long and you have to wait for that hair to fall out and a new one to replace it.

BTW I can show you genetic proof that clipping coats softens SIH-TZU hair as well as cocker hair. It just does. Coats that have never been clippered are long, harsh and straight. Those that have been clipped are often curlier and softer. A litter of Shih-Tzu that I can trace 4 out of 5 prove that and a litter of cockers I can trace all 7 of prove that......and altering plays a role too cause the correct coats? Not altered.
                      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                        What We Know and Don't Know About Canine Hair Growth

http://petgroomermagazine.com/articl...r-not-to-clip/

To Clip or Not to Clip

http://petgroomermagazine.com/articl...e-hair-growth/
                        Great articles, you can count on Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                          Chances are it would have changed ANYWAY seeing as how the dog is a rescue and a mix (with poodle in it no less) and was likely altered young as a result. There is no science unfortunatley to back up ANY OF THIS. Its all anecdotal. I have seen many many coats gtrow back fully with enough time (often two years or so) because you are cutting DEAD FIBERS and once those fibers fall out and are replaced by new ones there is nothing there that was damaged before by the cutting. Its just that the lifecycle of some hairs is years long and you have to wait for that hair to fall out and a new one to replace it.

BTW I can show you genetic proof that clipping coats softens SIH-TZU hair as well as cocker hair. It just does. Coats that have never been clippered are long, harsh and straight. Those that have been clipped are often curlier and softer. A litter of Shih-Tzu that I can trace 4 out of 5 prove that and a litter of cockers I can trace all 7 of prove that......and altering plays a role too cause the correct coats? Not altered.
                          He was well into adulthood when he was shaved and has all the traits and growth patterns of a under-coated/feathered dog, so it's super unlikely that the coat change is coincidental to shaving.

Comment

I agree with Mystic. If it starts out poorly then there is an underlying cause for improper growth stemming from the skin. It is after all the largest organ of the body. The thyroid is a good place to start and a complete blood panel should be done.
                            Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
                              He was well into adulthood when he was shaved and has all the traits and growth patterns of a under-coated/feathered dog, so it's super unlikely that the coat change is coincidental to shaving.
                              I have seen cockers and shih-tzu soften and change color as adults. There needs to be studies done but there are none going on. Its not that important because its strictly appearance.
                              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X