Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owner wants to have Corgi shaved because of dog dander....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owner wants to have Corgi shaved because of dog dander....?

I have not seen the dog yet, but the owner wants the corgi shaved because she thinks that her son might be allergic to its dander? Something like that anyway. I know Im not supposed to shave a corgi, so whats the best clip on comb adapter I can use on him? I was thinking maybe a 1 and using a super moisturizing shampoo on him.

Positive and constructive comments only please. Thanks!

Good luck. I burned out three blades the one and only time I shaved a corgi That super sick coat is so hard to get a blade through unless you are going right up against the skin with a 10 or even 15. It almost anything longer than that and you'll kill yourself and want to kill the dog if not the owner that super sick coat is so hard to get a blade through unless you are going right up against the skin with a 10 or even 15. It almost anything longer than that and you'll kill yourself and want to kill the dog if not the owner. And then the poor thing looks like it elongated rat with stubby legs.
    Would be willing to bet that the owners don't want to brush the dog or bees it. And without either of those things they begin to smell and shed. If the dogs going to have dander that will exist on its skin whether it has long hair or short hair.

Comment

Clip on will do nothing. We shave Corgi's all the time with #7.

Comment

I read somewhere that shaving double coated breeds to decrease dander only makes the problem worse. The hair traps it in so it doesn't fly around the house. The article I read (sadly, I cannot remember the name of it) said that frequent bathing was the best way to eliminate dander.
        That being said, a #7 makes the most sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RareBear View Post
          I read somewhere that shaving double coated breeds to decrease dander only makes the problem worse. The hair traps it in so it doesn't fly around the house. The article I read (sadly, I cannot remember the name of it) said that frequent bathing was the best way to eliminate dander.
          That being said, a #7 makes the most sense to me.
          Cutting the hair isn't going to solve a skin problem. they need to buy a slicker brush and upgrade the food

Comment

Even shaved she will stay allergic since that's the saliva everyone is allergic to, so even with short hair the dog will lick himself, alright she won't have long hair falling but won't cut the allergy neither

Comment

I personally would refuse to shave down a Corgi..........the hair has NOTHING to do with dandruff, since this is the skin flaking off. Weekly baths in a shampoo that is designated for dry skin, would be my recommendation. I know that in cats, people are allergic to the saliva and not the dandruff, and that there are several cats that do not carry the Fel D1 gene. My brother gets monthly shots to prevent allergic reaction to his cat, so maybe the Mother needs to visit the pediatrician and see what is their next course.

Happy not shaving

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I would strongly advise against it, if not refuse the haircut all together. If you do end up shaving, I would use a 7f or a 10 blade. No guard is easilly going to go through. I always tell the clients with double coated dogs it will make the problem worse to shave/clip the hair. They will shed worse, the dander and skin issues will get worse, and it could change the look and feel of the coat forever. Why? Because double coated dogs are not meant to get haircuts, they are meant to shed out "old" coat. Best solution? A good deshed with good shampoo and conditioner. Mothly to weekly depending on how bad the allergies are.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                  I personally would refuse to shave down a Corgi..........the hair has NOTHING to do with dandruff, since this is the skin flaking off. Weekly baths in a shampoo that is designated for dry skin, would be my recommendation. I know that in cats, people are allergic to the saliva and not the dandruff, and that there are several cats that do not carry the Fel D1 gene. My brother gets monthly shots to prevent allergic reaction to his cat, so maybe the Mother needs to visit the pediatrician and see what is their next course.

Happy not shaving

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
                  Happy not making money.

If we had to do what's "proper" for a specific breed or coat, we would not have any business. First off we get a much higher price for shave downs and if we try to educate (which my groomers do before shaving a coat off), they don't want to hear it, they want it shaved or they will take their business elsewhere. And on top of it, leave a bad review because we didn't give good service.

Also in most cases we inherit a dog that's been shaved in the past so why would it matter? We have at least 1 coat removal per day in mobile, Pugs, Chiu, Beagles, Corgis. 10 blade for most.

Independents like you can do what you want and have your little circle of clients all trained. We are a commercial mobile service with several vans 7 days a week and need to be competitive and busy. I will take a $90 Corgi shave any day and feel fine about it.

Comment

I've also never shaved down a corgi, and I would refuse to do it in this case. We do an odd number of shave-downs on Poms and Goldens and things that have already come that way, but I've rarely had a problem talking a client out of shaving something ridiculous for the first time.

There is clearly no reason to, since they are claiming allergy, and you're not removing the dog's skin with shaving.

Comment

I think a well deshedded Corgi could be nicely contoured with a 1 GC and an artistic eye.. All the hard work would be in the deshed.

Comment

I would recommend Kelco, Dr. Hypo shampoo. It helps the dogs skin and coat and smells great. I would not shave down a Corgi and would explain that if you shave off the dogs protective hair, you are setting him/her up for potential skin problems.

Comment

Is a 1 GC considered a shave down? I thought more a 5 and lower.

Comment

Most owners have no concept of what their dog will look like shaved. If you can't talk her out of it, a product like Aller-Groom (I think that's what it's called) - a liquid that keeps the dander off might be worth a try. Corgies have a another coat type-'woolies'that might be easier to shave. In any case I'd try a 7f with a 4f reverse in some areas. You still need to get all that undercoat out, so you're really doing 2 grooms, and you should CHARGE accordingly.
                            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

You can SO do a 1 comb. Just make sure to deshed in tub and dry properly. Brush and comb well. Speaking of desheds, I feel the need to groom some collies.

Comment

Working...
                              X