X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court Must Decide Value of a Dog

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local...f-a-dog/np7Kj/

Georgia

Lola was a little hound of questionable pedigree who slept like a human, her head on the pillow and her body under the covers. She was jealous of laptop computers, because she was a laptop dog.

The mixed-breed dachshund was 8 years old when she died of renal failure. Lola’s owners allege that a popular Atlanta dog kennel gave Lola medication she wasn’t supposed to receive, ultimately leading to her death. The owners have sued, and that’s why this sad case with its very thorny question will come before the state’s highest court on Tuesday.

What is the value of a dog?......................
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Quite often cases like this change state law. Where once a state would only uphold replacement value of a dog (or other pet), cases like this can open the door to substantial pain and suffering claims.

Comment

My insurance company insures the loss of a dog in our care up to $2000. A dog is considered personal property and there is a limit to their value to the owner. I hope that doesn't change because all of our insurance would skyrocket if the courts allow punitive damages and pain and suffering. I doubt it will happen.

Comment

Where we are pet owners can sue for more than replacement value or vet costs. We carry professional liability insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
          My insurance company insures the loss of a dog in our care up to $2000. A dog is considered personal property and there is a limit to their value to the owner. I hope that doesn't change because all of our insurance would skyrocket if the courts allow punitive damages and pain and suffering. I doubt it will happen.
          If you read this story, and its long and complicated, the kennel gave the dog someone else's medicine at a too high dose and killed the dog AND ADMITTED THAT ORIGINALLY. In cases like this damages need to be assessed. Absolute negligence. In GA we are responsible for vet bills or replacement whichever is higher already. That said my insurance wont cover the vet bills over $5000 (nor will most insurance . Read your policy). $67,000 in vet bills keeping a dog alive? Scary
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

OMG I need to look at the vet bill limit in my policy.

Comment

You know I have never checked for quite awhile how much vet bills my pro liability covers. I am sure it is not over $60K. That's enough to bankrupt groomers. Has anyone checked their policies since reading this, or do you know?

Comment

Working...
              X